Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know what I meant, lol. The fact she's so in love with her condo and won't leave it means she's not really in love with this guy she's engaged to.

When you love someone you do whatever it takes to be together - even if that means leaving a place you love
I understand, but things are not that simple... If I am in her shoes right now, I'd have no idea what to do myself! If I have to sell my house, I may very well have to PAY for it! The other option is walking away from it and screwing my credit. In both cases I'd lose my late parents' lifetime savings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 03:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Default Am I settling?

Three words: "Listen to yourself!"

Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's great advice! Unfortunately, most of us don't, or don't know how to, or ignore the helpful voices...

Old 07-24-2010, 03:21 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
One thing in life that I've learned is that usually your gut instinct is usually right.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I understand, but things are not that simple... If I am in her shoes right now, I'd have no idea what to do myself! If I have to sell my house, I may very well have to PAY for it! The other option is walking away from it and screwing my credit. In both cases I'd lose my late parents' lifetime savings!

Don't want to argue with one of my favorite city-data crushes (see Ron, I can reveal something too!), but honestly, it is that simple.

When you find that one person you KNOW you are meant to be with, you'll move heaven and earth to be with them, no matter what the "complications" or issues are.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't take time to work some of those issues out (in this market a house can take years to sell!), and you'd want to be smart not to ruin your credit. But those are all just details.

In the end, true love walks away from the "stuff" and toward the person.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
That's great advice! Unfortunately, most of us don't, or don't know how to, or ignore the helpful voices...
Unfortunately, you're right. But I learned to listen to "my voice" many (as in about 30) years ago because it was always right. I guess that makes me somewhat precognitive, but so far it's never let me down. It even presaged my current marriage five years before I ever asked my, now, wife out.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Don't want to argue with one of my favorite city-data crushes (see Ron, I can reveal something too!), but honestly, it is that simple.
Thanks. I luv ya, too!

Quote:
When you find that one person you KNOW you are meant to be with, you'll move heaven and earth to be with them, no matter what the "complications" or issues are.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't take time to work some of those issues out (in this market a house can take years to sell!), and you'd want to be smart not to ruin your credit. But those are all just details.

In the end, true love walks away from the "stuff" and toward the person.
You have this perspective, Loves, because you're lucky, or you deserve it, or whatever... I'm not gonna argue about that, either. However, everybody thinks at the beginning they found that "somebody" and a year later they may end up without a home because of that. "Stuff" is only unimportant while you have it. When you end up on the street, with no home and no love, it becomes important again. I've never heard of anybody getting married intending to get divorced, but it happens quite a bit... I lost a home I loved and felt comfortable in (even though it was rented) and I still can't come to terms with that!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Thanks. I luv ya, too!

You have this perspective, Loves, because you're lucky, or you deserve it, or whatever... I'm not gonna argue about that, either. However, everybody thinks at the beginning they found that "somebody" and a year later they may end up without a home because of that. "Stuff" is only unimportant while you have it. When you end up on the street, with no home and no love, it becomes important again. I've never heard of anybody getting married intending to get divorced, but it happens quite a bit... I lost a home I loved and felt comfortable in (even though it was rented) and I still can't come to terms with that!

I so hear ya, and I agree!

Here's the thing...people don't always take the time required to REALLY get to know the person they give their hearts to. Trust is supposed to be earned, not given away so freely.

But in this hurry up, instant gratification world we live in people make snap decisions that often lead them down a path of ruination.

You are right, no one I know ever got married expecting for a moment they might later go thru a divorce. And guess what? Those that actually take the time to do the work and choose that life partner with a lot of forethought greatly lessen the risk that they will.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Those that actually take the time to do the work and choose that life partner with a lot of forethought greatly lessen the risk that they will.
I suppose. Some of us may not be equipped with the necessary skills...

Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times
And furthermore....He's a good guy but I just don't know if I can deal with the baggage. And some of his health problems..My parents and I all own the condo, so they could rent it out if I upped and left (assuming they found good tenants, that is.) I just don't want to be another woman in today's world who wastes years with the wrong man only to have it end painfully. Life's too short for that. Anyway, I talked to my cousin today on the phone (long distance) who has had two broken engagements, which is definetely not a cakewalk, I'm sure... but is very content just to stay single until the right guy shows up (if "he" ever does, we don't know.) Just thought some moral support would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships