Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM

389 posts, read 776,965 times

Advertisements

It's messing relationships all up. People are growing apart because they're too focused on what someone posted on Myspace or what their friend texted them the other day. Everythings done over emale or text, nothing's personal anymore. It's making people more cold to each other in general.

Back before the internet & cellphone, people had much better relationships with each other. People had more time for the simple things in life, which made them happier & more open to relationships with other people. Technology is making boyfriends & girlfriends ignore each other more, & people are more easily influenced by what their SO said on Facebook than what they say in person right to their face.

Y'all already know how I feel about this topic, & I can't stress it enough. Technology is a monster to today's society. It's turning people against each other. It's poisoning the minds of young people. We're getting sick! I'm tired of it!

Jessie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I wouldn't have met my wife without online dating. We keep in touch via IM while at work, when it's necessary. On the other hand, we have one cell phone between us, and seldom text unless someone texts us. We rarely use things like facebook or other social networking sites as they are a time waster with little real value, IMO (there are probably some circumstances where they can enhance communications, no doubt). However, I use email and IM to stay in touch with a variety of people. Some of my best friends "in real life" were first encountered online.
I know many people at work that use IM to stay in touch with their spouses. We use it at work for work purposes as well. With everything that technology has brought us...email, instant pics, instant communications, how can we say it has not improved relationships?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
True, in some ways technology has been great. And with great power comes great ... uh, hang on, let me Google it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 AM

389 posts, read 776,965 times
There it is again! hahaha

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Is technology enhancing relationships or not?
Interesting question. I think it depends. If you use it because you have to know something NOW, you have to say something NOW, you want something NOW, then I think it hurts human relationships.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
I guess I am 50/50 with technology. For example, about 2 weeks ago a girl took me out for dinner in downtown. We arranged to meet in the restaurant. Was getting lost and, thanks to technology, she sent me the directions step by step and I got there. But then again, there are cases llike the other thread about mobile/celphones. So, I guess I am in the middle.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Technology is a monster to today's society. It's turning people against each other. It's poisoning the minds of young people. We're getting sick! I'm tired of it!
Nah. Like anything, there is good and bad. Just depends on how you use it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
I think you have to know how to have a relationship first, before technology can enhance it and in this case it can.

Unfortunately, many don't, so in that case it's a no.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I guess I am 50/50 with technology. For example, about 2 weeks ago a girl took me out for dinner in downtown. We arranged to meet in the restaurant. Was getting lost and, thanks to technology, she sent me the directions step by step and I got there. But then again, there are cases llike the other thread about mobile/celphones. So, I guess I am in the middle.
I hope she's able and willing to take care of the rest of her needs that are normally met by a man down the line! Then again, why would she need something that sort of looks like a male on the outside if she is to do all that...?!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Technology is absolutely enhancing relationships. Before texting/smartphones (for example) if you wanted to have people over for dinner you had to call every person and have the required 20 minute conversation just to tell them "be at my place at 7:30pm". Now, you can send an email/text and actually have quality conversation when you are face to face. You don't have nearly as many little polite conversations simply to tell someone to be somewhere at a certain time.

Phone calls are also very invasive and rude (in my opinion!) If you call someone and they are busy, they pick up anyway in case it is an emergency. They then have to waste time that they really don't have simply because they are concerned they will miss an important call. Instead, with texting, someone can email/text me to say 'call me when you have a minute' and I can call them when I have more time.

The technology of email/texting has made communication far less invasive than it ever has been in the past. I would be extremely frustrated with a women who didn't use technology to communicate at all.

Right now my girlfriend sends me a text message when she gets to work every day - just so I know she got there safely (we live in a city and she walks/bikes to work, so I always worry about safety). If I had to have a 10 minute conversation every day just to know she got there I would go crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships