Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times

Advertisements

In my own personal circumstance, met & married a techie......while he was the most romantic and amazing man, I could never measure up to the unlimited fantasies that he chose to pursue online. It's just another device to help people escape reality instead of "LIVE and FUNCTION" in reality. Ok, if you're researching and educating yourself, but when it consumes your life and you forget how to EXIST in an every day life??????? I personally think the internet is the absolute downfall of ALL relationships. People act like junkies when they can't check their email, or god forbid someone walks in while they are writing a message. How many people actually shoo their REAL everyday people away so they can be online? And just as easily, how many people turn to web sites instead of dealing with their spouse???? Wowza.........sounds like an addiction to me.

Divorced that and therefore hate the computer. A couple times a week is good enough for me. Next we're gonna have 12 step programs to break the addiction to cyber world. When my ex always said " it's just fantasy." Well, there was NOT enough reality to offset it, therefore it became his reality. I totally pity the kids growing up today thinking a "personal connection" means your internet is working. Log off and LIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If it is a group of regular friends, texting is by no means rude in this situation. If it is a formal dinner party, then phone calls are needed.
I should have clarified. In my opinion, it is rude. No matter who the parties are. Obviously your opinion differs.

Quote:
I guess this just goes to show how times have changed. I find phone calls rude because they force an immediate conversation when the receiver of the call might not have time for it. Text messages accomplish the same goal without the invasiveness of a phone call. No, they don't. Different standards for different generations I guess.
I don't think anything can compare to actual conversation. Without a voice, it's just words.

Quote:
But a message saying 'I am on my way home and picking up dinner' when you know your SO is busy at work is much more appropriate than a phone call (in my opinion).
I can agree with that. But for me, leaving a voice mail is even easier, and they get to hear my voice.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM

389 posts, read 776,612 times
HNSQ:
Let's say you are on a date. We finish dinner early, it is only 10:00 and we decide we want to do something else. Completely spontaneous! With my blackberry I will find the free concert in the park a few blocks away, find the roads that have traffic jams so we can avoid them and get to the concert on time, mark with GPS where I parked the car while reading up on the background of the orchestra performing. We have an amazing date and go home happier than we could imagine.

How much of that would be possible without technology?

With all due respect, everyone on this thread seems to be stuck in a very antiquated mindset. Give technology a chance. It won't kill you to use a smartphone.

Hahaha. Well I'll tell ya:

We finish dinner early, & we wanna do something else. If ya wanna talk spontaneous, we hop on Ol Dingus, galop around & through the trafick, speed along side the road, head out to the country, lay down in the dirt & gravel & make sweet passionate love 'til mornin'. Now that's my idea of a good night.

Oh, & yes Honey bunch. Using a Smartphone will kill me. It'll @ least kill my wallet. Why spend all that money on something that I can go home & use. My landline is just as good. I can have a full conversation with somebody without going broke. haha.

Jessie

Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Technology has made people think they are more important than they really are to the rest of the world.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I should have clarified. In my opinion, it is rude. No matter who the parties are. Obviously your opinion differs.

I don't think anything can compare to actual conversation. Without a voice, it's just words.

I can agree with that. But for me, leaving a voice mail is even easier, and they get to hear my voice.
It would be very interesting to see differences in opinion by age....To each his own I guess

Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Hahaha. Well I'll tell ya:

We finish dinner early, & we wanna do something else. If ya wanna talk spontaneous, we hop on Ol Dingus, galop around & through the trafick, speed along side the road, head out to the country, lay down in the dirt & gravel & make sweet passionate love 'til mornin'. Now that's my idea of a good night.

Oh, & yes Honey bunch. Using a Smartphone will kill me. It'll @ least kill my wallet. Why spend all that money on something that I can go home & use. My landline is just as good. I can have a full conversation with somebody without going broke. haha.

Jessie

What is 'Ol Dingus'?

Do you live in 1892 or 2010?

My smartphone lets me trade stocks at all hours of the day. It pays for itself.

And who has a landline anymore???

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Technology has made people think they are more important than they really are to the rest of the world.
That's a good one! Yeah, that's one of the main reasons people are glued in to their damn phones - to show the world how important they are.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Is technology enhancing relationships or not?
Technology's a tool and, like all tools, what you get out of it depends on how you use it. If you use your phone to send your partner a quick text to let them know you're thinking of them while at work, that can mean a lot. On the other hand, if you're relying to texting instead of having an actual phone conversation with them, that can be bad. There's the potential for misunderstanding what was meant by a given message. Likewise, people may use things like Facebook to keep each other up-to-date. But what happens if, after reading each other's Facebook pages, you have nothing left to talk about when you get together?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
What is 'Ol Dingus'?

Do you live in 1892 or 2010?

My smartphone lets me trade stocks at all hours of the day. It pays for itself.

And who has a landline anymore???
I do. If my power goes out, I still have a working phone. Pretty much a no-brainer for me. Go through a few hurricanes that take your power for a week, and you'll get the idea.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I do. If my power goes out, I still have a working phone. Pretty much a no-brainer for me. Go through a few hurricanes that take your power for a week, and you'll get the idea.
That makes sense if you have extenuating circumstances like that. I have not had a land line for the past six years, so it is slowly becoming a strange concept to me. I bought a new house a few months ago that was just gutted and redone, and they didn't even bother to wire it for a land line

But tell me - if power can be taken out for a week, couldn't the phone lines go out just as easily? Wouldn't it make more sense to only have a cell phone and have one or two extra batteries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships