Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

What do you think of that?

Being involved with the same person as if you're married except, you're not married?

It seems to be popular in Europe.

Are in any of you in situations like that?

What are the Pros/Cons?

In general what are your thoughts about it?

Discuss......

Folks please do not turn this into a Anti-marriage/gay/relationship thread. That was not my intentions for doing this.

Last edited by Ron.; 07-29-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM

225 posts, read 643,914 times
You do realize this thread is just going to turn into a pro vs anti-marriage argument between straights, with an occasional comment from a gay person saying they've had life partners all along.

I'm goin' for a snack. When I get back, there better be 6 pages of discussion.

But seriously, to each his own.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
you mean like a de facto relationship?
it is quite common in Australia.

Even our PM, is in de facto.

whatever works for you.

I know some who have been together for 10, 20 years - they're happy with their arrangement.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
you mean like a de facto relationship?
it is quite common in Australia.

Even our PM, is in de facto.

whatever works for you.

I know some who have been together for 10, 20 years - they're happy with their arrangement.
I did not know it was popular in Australia as well.

I think it does work for a lot of people. I would be open to entertaining just about any moral relationship arrangement as it relates to creating a successful relationship.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
I think marriage is still #1 option - especially for older Australians, but it is becoming more accepted / common

Especially as the law recognises these relationships (there is less need to actually get married, apart from the romance & all that )

Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
I think in large part, marriage is traditional, but certainly doesn't make love more valid.

I can see where people who say that marriage is a piece of paper are coming from.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
If you have no intention of ever having children, then why complicate things by getting married? Unless of course you feel strongly about taking vows in front of god, the government, or Elvis, keep things simple.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:23 PM

301 posts, read 827,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
What do you think of that?

Being involved with the same person as if you're married except, you're not married?

It seems to be popular in Europe.

Are in any of you in situations like that?

What are the Pros/Cons?

In general what are your thoughts about it?

Discuss......

Folks please do not turn this into a Anti-marriage/gay/relationship thread. That was not my intentions for doing this.

I see nothing wrong with this concept. If my marriage does not work out, I am sure fire not going to get married again if I can help it. My mom is on marriage number 5.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Not really sure why people are opposed to getting married when they do everything but get the piece of paper. It doesnt bother me if people live together I just find it interesting when people feel the need not to make official.That somehow that piece of paper will screw everything up. Marriage protects both parties most of the time. I had an elderly neighbor that was in his 70's. His wife had died many years before but he had met another woman and they had lived together as wife and husband for years. They were true companions. When the man died his grown children showed up out of nowhere and promptly threw the woman out the house. A house she had lived in for over 15 years. Whatever reason she was not included in the will. She was a sweet person but the man's children viewed her as some sort of threat. These grown children had not visited their father in a long time but as soon as the man died they showed up like vultures.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
LOL @ life partner. It just sounds so California PC. IDK.

The SO and I are classic examples of this, course we not gay, which is what I think of when I hear this phrase. I know the OP doesn't mean it that way, just what comes to the old Chowsers mind.

Matter of fact its our "anniversary" this weekend.

I met her a bunch of yrs ago and when we first met, I never went home after that.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships