Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

I generally always like a certain type. Dark haired full figured women on the shorter side. I just can't help it. Like others have said you like what you like.

Mrs. Chow knows exactly what type of woman I like. She'll see some dark haired girl with big boobs and she'll sometimes point them out to me. LOL

Her on the other hand, has no "type" at all. So I'll have no idea that she got the hots for some guy, cause they can be very different.

LOL, I told her one time that it pisses me off, cause I don't know who the "enemy' is. j/k of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
I only have one physical requirement: I have to find him attractive.

If I don't, then into the friend zone he goes.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
There is nothing wrong with having personal preferences, and there is nothing wrong with changing your mind when you find yourself interested in someone who does not fit your preference. Relationships are about chemistry. Even someone who looks like what you have always wanted might not do it for you.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I only have one physical requirement: I have to find him attractive.

If I don't, then into the friend zone he goes.
Same here...there has to be something.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
two questions on the subject:

first, although this has been asked by others here before, do you think that having specific "requirements" regarding physical appearance is shallow?

second, how logical (or not) do you think it is to dismiss someone you might otherwise be completely compatible with, based only on that factor?
1) No. Most people, if they are honest, have such ideals/preferences. It's simply a preference. It's normal. And since you know it's been asked many times before, why ask again?

2) I think it's completely logical, if that one factor means that the person is completely incompatible with your lifestyle.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
two questions on the subject:

first, although this has been asked by others here before, do you think that having specific "requirements" regarding physical appearance is shallow?
No. Not at all. You need to be physically attracted to the person you are with.

Quote:
second, how logical (or not) do you think it is to dismiss someone you might otherwise be completely compatible with, based only on that factor?
Those are the people you make your friends, NOT your significant other. I mean, just think about it, how many friends that you have who are completely compatible with you, but you dont find them attractive and/or you just dont "see them that way" as being a significant other?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
I think sometimes we cannot help what we like. Our preference is sometimes set and it's difficult to deviate from.

But life is about shades of grey and there are times when our type is not met exactly. Even still, I reckon that from personal experience such instances are small deviations. I cannot help what I like, and won't apologise for what I do.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Shallow or not, I can't help it and that hasn't changed with age. My preferences are not that specific per se; it's more about the overall image, aura, and the way he makes me feel. Well, if I'm not attracted to him and force myself to go ahead with it, I'd be like a cold fish. Who wants to be with a cold fish anyway?
This I feel is a more realistic way of interpreting the nature of attraction. The more rigidly one holds fast to their "preferences", the more likely they are to suppress whatever visceral impulses of attraction they might otherwise have toward someone who doesn't necessarily fit neatly in their pre-determined preference mold. This is often merely for the sake of being faithful to the preferences they've already chosen for themselves, as if they were some sort of strict personal creed with no room for deviation.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Default another topic about attraction

o.k., I'll admit this is another of those subjects which has me like this:
" "
however-- and this is where I'm hoping for input here-- I've concluded it's about different purposes. figure it this way: you might say "I'd never ____ someone who _____" and what you put in the first blank has a lot to do with the second blank. if the first is 'date,' 'go out with,' or something similar, the second would be more about attraction- appearance, what a person has or does, etc.; if the first is along the line of something more permanent, the second would have less to do with attraction and more to do with characteristics or qualities you consider important in a human being.
anyone agree/disagree with this?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 PM

525 posts, read 948,160 times
Quote:
o.k., I'll admit this is another of those subjects which has me like this:
" "
however-- and this is where I'm hoping for input here-- I've concluded it's about different purposes. figure it this way: you might say "I'd never ____ someone who _____" and what you put in the first blank has a lot to do with the second blank. if the first is 'date,' 'go out with,' or something similar, the second would be more about attraction- appearance, what a person has or does, etc.; if the first is along the line of something more permanent, the second would have less to do with attraction and more to do with characteristics or qualities you consider important in a human being.
anyone agree/disagree with this?

generally I would agree, but there are always exceptions I think..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships