Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

College is a waste of money nowadays from a business person point of view. Read this __>

Seven Reasons Not to Send Your Kids to College - DailyFinance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I think it's funny that you give Cornell and A&M the same "weight".
(Sorry Aggies!!!!)

Eeek, I guess that makes me a snob.

(Not really though, I also went to a state school and never even applied to grad school. My super-brainiac friends still put up with me. Lucky I guess.)
I agree...What kind of hicks go to Cornell! What a dump!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
I was fortunate enough to meet my husband in college (we both went to the same prestigious school). It was important to me that he was intelligent, hardworking, and driven. He went on to get a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering and I received a J.D. (both from the same prestigious institution). His big brain is certainly a plus in my book and I value it. ;D I have always been more attracted to/compatable with people who have goals similar to mine and an advanced degree from a well respected university would be one of the things I would look for in a man if I were still single. Nonetheless, the fact that a person is not highly educated or the fact that they went to a less prestigious school isn't a deal breaker as long as that person was still intelligent, hardworking, and ambitious.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm a huge fan of formal education. I would prefer to go to the traditional route and take all those "unnecessary" classes and spend 4, 6, 8 years in college, though I do see the value in technical colleges for certain careers.

I wouldn't dismiss someone who went to a technical college when it comes to dating, but I admit that I perk up when I hear Texas A&M or Cornell University. It's not for the prestige, for me, but because I value education and because of the respect I have for those who are willing (if they are able) to put in that kind of time into their education. I wasn't as fortunate, so I also admit to envying them just a little.

Would it matter to you where a person obtained their degree, when it comes to dating?
I admit that I would wonder about a person who spent a ridiculous amount of money for a degree from a diploma mill when they could've received a far better education for a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't rule them out, but I would wonder about their thought process.

Otherwise it doesn't matter a bit as long as they have a thirst for knowledge. They don't need a degree for that.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM

611 posts, read 774,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm a huge fan of formal education. I would prefer to go to the traditional route and take all those "unnecessary" classes and spend 4, 6, 8 years in college, though I do see the value in technical colleges for certain careers.

I wouldn't dismiss someone who went to a technical college when it comes to dating, but I admit that I perk up when I hear Texas A&M or Cornell University. It's not for the prestige, for me, but because I value education and because of the respect I have for those who are willing (if they are able) to put in that kind of time into their education. I wasn't as fortunate, so I also admit to envying them just a little.

Would it matter to you where a person obtained their degree, when it comes to dating?

Would it matter to me? In a word, NO. Why? Because there are too many wonderful men out in this great big world who really deserve to be admired for what they have done with their lives, even though they were unable, for one reason or another, to obtain their degree.

I've known men with their Ph.D. from prestigious universities who are lacking in basic common sense. Many are very nice and down to earth. Others are pompous snobs.
I have also met many autodidacts who have done very well for themselves and are not lacking in class, culture, or wealth.

Even though I have my degree, I have friends from all walks of life. The cultural and educational diversities at some of our parties are a real blast. I love it!

America has no caste system, thank goodness. Underneath any facade, we are all searching for acceptance and love.

Last edited by WestWillow; 08-02-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
It is known that women consider a degree, income, car, status, looks, etc. to be important when it comes to meeting guys but not so sure about the university where they graduated .

I sometimes wonder if the name of the university can sometimes be a bit overrated. I have a friend who graduated from Princeton last summer and is yet to get a job no matter how big "Princeton" is written on the job application.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know people from all walks of life. And the ones that went to a good college are just more interesting to talk to. They also enjoy going to museums and art galleries. I have yet to meet a tradesperson that makes an effort to go to a museum exhibit or a classical music concert. They seem content to hang out at their favorite bar or watch their favorite professional sports team. And those activities are of no interest to me.
HAH! My dad is a tradesman WITH a bachelor's and master's degree. He hates bars and drinking and despises most sports other than baseball, but never on TV, only at the ball park. I grew up with him taking me to museums, art galleries, and historical societies. He also, while not a musician himself, attended every single classical music concert I ever performed in in my childhood through college years (instrumental and vocal), and all my plays.

Where does a person like this fall on your snob continuum?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post

With this has came a Social stigma against those that fail to have that degree. Which is strange since most work could be done by most people with simple training. Used to be the job did this for the employee. Now they require the individual and Society foot the bill. I must admit, whenever I must visit a Urban area, I wonder what all the drones in those huge office buildings do to pass the time.
The perception that people with college degrees work solely in cubicles in high rise office buildings in urban areas is an interesting one. One might even call it a "social stigma."

Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
1. More than 60% of people entering college take more than four years to graduate. So whatever you think your kids are going to cost you to go to college, add 20% to 100%.

2. The cost of the average college tuition has gone up nine-fold since 1976 versus seven-fold for health care and three-fold for inflation.

3. The differential in lifetime income between a college graduate and a non-college graduate over a 45 year career is approximately $800,000 (read on).

4. If I put that $200,000 that I would've spent per child to cover tuition costs, living expenses, books, etc. into bonds yielding just 3% (any muni bonds) and let it compound for 49 years (adding back in the 4 years of college), I get $851,000. So my kids can avoid college and still end up with the same amount in the worst case.

5. If smart, motivated, ambitious kids (the type of kids who get the most out of college) avoided college I'm sure the differential would be a lot less than $800,000 and may even be negative (i.e. they would make more if they avoided college and started going into the business world earlier).

6. The average debt burden of a college graduate is $23,000. Up from $13,000 10 years ago. Students with professional degrees can see their debt burden go higher than $200,000. Total student borrowing has topped $75,000,000,000. It's too much for young adults just starting their careers.

7. Alternatives to spending $200,000 per kid so they can waste four years of their lives:
  • Give them $20,000 to start one to five businesses. Most businesses fail but that's ok. The education from the process lasts a lifetime and the network you build when you start a business will lead to many future jobs and possibilities.
Source : Seven Reasons Not to Send Your Kids to College - DailyFinance

Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
This conversation reminds me of the last time I was at the dentist. My dentist was trying to relax me by making some small talk. He asked me where I obtained my degree and I replied "I'm self taught". Without any hesitation he quipped back "So am I".

That made me laugh. That's when he seized his opportunity to stick a giant needle in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships