Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 PM

525 posts, read 948,103 times

Advertisements

Definition..

To ----block is to prevent another person, intentionally or inadvertently, from having sexual intercourse with a third party. A ----block or ----blocker is a person who engages in such obstruction or intervention. Joshua Bernstein, in the New York Press, ----blocking is a "foul act in which someone interferes with another’s attempt at finding happiness inside someone’s pants."[1] A UWO Gazette author believes that individuals frequenting bars in university towns are likely to be familiar with "this classic maneuver."[2]
Other usage

"----block"can also be used in a figurative manner to describe non-sexual interfering behavior

It took me years to understand this because it's done all the time. I am talking about the NON sexual contexts. It doesn't matter if it's a potential new friend or your best long term standing client! Many people automatically try to dismantle, interfere, or even steal your potential or standing relationship with slick lies and manipulation. Since I never in my whole entire life could imagine doing something so petty as to interfere with other people's opportunity to get to know each other or develop a business relationship, --- it took me years to see and realize how much it has been done to me.

My question is.. How do you prevent it? I can finally see when someone is up to this. You obviously don't want to go to your potential or long standing client or friend and say negative things....

How do you stop them in their tracks, reveal what they are doing, and protect your relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Not sure I agree with your definition....here is mine:

2 a : obstacle b : an obstruction of an opponent's play in sports; especially : a halting or impeding of the progress or movement of an opponent in football by use of the body c (1) : interruption of normal physiological function (as of a tissue or organ); especially : heart block (2) : local anesthesia (as by injection) produced by interruption of the flow of impulses along a nerve d : interruption or cessation especially of train of thought by competing thoughts or psychological suppression — compare writer's block

From webster's, of course.

So you are wanting to know how to not let people BLOCK your relationship?
It's not entirely up to you, is it? You are only part of the relationship so you could do everything and still have the relationship....blocked.

The only way a person can successfully block a relationship is if someone in the relationship allows them to do so.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
How do you stop them in their tracks, reveal what they are doing, and protect your relationship?
I don't worry about the "thems" in my life. I live in accordance to my values, and form my connections with those that share those values and want to connect with me. It's a big world with lots of potential. Go live it and stop worrying about THEM.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Not sure I agree with your definition....here is mine:

From webster's, of course.

So you are wanting to know how to not let people BLOCK your relationship?
It's not entirely up to you, is it? You are only part of the relationship so you could do everything and still have the relationship....blocked.

The only way a person can successfully block a relationship is if someone in the relationship allows them to do so.

Gotcha..

Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't worry about the "thems" in my life. I live in accordance to my values, and form my connections with those that share those values and want to connect with me. It's a big world with lots of potential. Go live it and stop worrying about THEM.

So you are saying that if 'they' are continally dropping hints to persuade your boss to fire you, or your SO or best client to leave you.. don't worry about 'them' ?? You are right, they should want to have a connection with you and may leave if they so choose. I just have a problem with 3rd parties that I know and am aquainted with negatively interfering with a good relationship I have. I agree with Vegas too.. I guess there is nothing you can do.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,863 times
Quote:
So you are saying that if 'they' are continally dropping hints to persuade your boss to fire you, or your SO or best client to leave you.. don't worry about 'them' ?? You are right, they should want to have a connection with you and may leave if they so choose. I just have a problem with 3rd parties that I know and am aquainted with negatively interfering with a good relationship I have. I agree with Vegas too.. I guess there is nothing you can do.
You could confront the 3rd party about their behvaior in some way. Or you could discuss the behavior of the 3rd party with the 2nd party. Or you could ignore it and hope the 2nd party doesn't buy into what the 3rd party is saying. Those, or a comination of the first two, are your only options.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM

46 posts, read 74,640 times
I am going to speak on it in a relationship point of view. If there is a 3rd party that is interferring in your relationship, it is because your SO is allowing them to. Some people dont care what affect they have on other peoples lives. Just like someone who does not care about the affects of being with a married person, some enjoy the havoc they cause on another people. Like a game. But it is ultimately up to the SO to put a stop to it, or end the relationship. Some people thrive off of others misery. I learned that first hand.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
How to manage a narcissist.

In other words, narcissists rely on manipulating work and social relationships to support a self that cannot internally sustain a sense of well being.

[SIZE=-1]A common sense approach to the problems caused by the narcissist would be to challenge him by pointing out his behavioural problems and the negative influence they are having on the organisation, but this would certainly invoke their immediate denial, followed by distortion of facts. The narcissist would simply rewrite history, as Theodore Millon put it, "...to freely transform failures into successes, and to construct lengthy and intricate rationalizations that inflate their self-worth or justify what they believe is their right..."Ref Theodore Millon and Roger Davis pointed out that narcissists, "...remember the past as they would have wanted it to occur, not as it actually happened."Ref
[SIZE=-1]According to Millon, if a narcissist is challenged for attempting to rewrite history, he may lash out and blame others:
"Narcissistic individuals may never have learned to be skillful at public deception; they usually said and did what they liked and without a care for what others thought. Their poorly conceived rationalizations may, therefore, fail to bring relief and, more seriously, may evoke scrutiny and deprecating comments from others. At these times, narcissistic people may be pushed to the point of using projection as a defense..."
[SIZE=-1]So if denial and distortion fail, the next step for the narcissist is projection.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
How to manage a narcissist.

In other words, narcissists rely on manipulating work and social relationships to support a self that cannot internally sustain a sense of well being.

[SIZE=-1]A common sense approach to the problems caused by the narcissist would be to challenge him by pointing out his behavioural problems and the negative influence they are having on the organisation, but this would certainly invoke their immediate denial, followed by distortion of facts. The narcissist would simply rewrite history, as Theodore Millon put it, "...to freely transform failures into successes, and to construct lengthy and intricate rationalizations that inflate their self-worth or justify what they believe is their right..."Ref Theodore Millon and Roger Davis pointed out that narcissists, "...remember the past as they would have wanted it to occur, not as it actually happened."Ref[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]According to Millon, if a narcissist is challenged for attempting to rewrite history, he may lash out and blame others:

[SIZE=-1]So if denial and distortion fail, the next step for the narcissist is projection. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

I think I'm a narcissist magnet. I have had at least three recent dealings with individuals who do just that-- 'literally make up history as the way they would have liked it'.. It can drive you crazy..

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
I think I'm a narcissist magnet. I have had at least three recent dealings with individuals who do just that-- 'literally make up history as the way they would have liked it'.. It can drive you crazy..
They're good at quick assessments and picking up on vibes, by itself isn't a bad thing. Its advantagous to know who you can undermine, they target good decent ppl if that makes you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships