Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Honestly, I don't think she wants him around in the conversation.

She is young. She wants to start over and have a fresh, new start.

Most of the posts come off that way. Dump him in daycare the two weeks she has with him and go to work.
Wow, I'm glad you know me better than myself!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Please tell him before he arrives at your home sees pictures of your son around the house. It could be just calling him and saying:

"Hey, before you come over tonight, there is something I need to tell you and give you the opportunity to decide if you want this to go any further. I apologize for not bringing this up sooner because I just wasn't sure how you would respond. I think alot of you and want to share with you that I have a 4 year old son, Landon. What are your thoughts?"

Go from there but don't let him come over and spring this news upon him. He needs time to digest it and you should give him that without the awkwardness of a face to face intervention in your home.
Good suggestion.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Jaggy, Matt, 2mares, and seeniorita THANK YOU for the encouragement and I will definitely keep you posted. As for the rest of you - go suck a lemon!!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Jaggy, Matt, 2mares, and seeniorita THANK YOU for the encouragement and I will definitely keep you posted. As for the rest of you - go suck a lemon!!
Classy.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Classy.
I thought so - considering what I really wanted to say.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM

36,509 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I would beg to differ.

I love my son so much I am staying in a crappy marriage just to be with him.

You swim shark infested waters for your kids. 18 year COMMITMENT!!

I sure hope you are not hurt when your son calls the daycare provider MOMMY!
Did you quit you job as well to stay home with your kids for 18 yrs. And about that, 18 yrs. my behind, the commitment is until death do you part.

I will be the first to agree that the idea situation would be for one parent to stay home and care for the childrens every need, to be there in the morning, fix a nice breakfast before sending them off to school and to be home when they arrive with a healthy snack. But we dont live in a perfect world and as far as im aware there are no studies proving children are better off staying home with mommy all day than going off to daycare and school. By your logic, being that they have shared custody, 2 people would need to drop out of the work force and get on gov. assistance to be good parents.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I would think it would just come up in causal conversation anyway. I doesn't have to be like your dropping a bomb on someone.

You just mention it in passing, like oh, btw, I need to go pickup my 4 yr old or something along those lines. If he hangs around then fine, you have you answer. If he doesn't then again, you have your answer.

Seriously... I don't get it, either... Most people would say things as "my husband/BF and I did something/went somewhere" or "my son/daughter and I did whatever"... These are things that normally come up within 5 minutes of a conversation, unless one tries to hide them intentionally.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Seriously... I don't get it, either... Most people would say things as "my husband/BF and I did something/went somewhere" or "my son/daughter and I did whatever"... These are things that normally come up within 5 minutes of a conversation, unless one tries to hide them intentionally.
"Normal" is a very wide spectrum and not everyone wants to - or should - share intimate details of their lives with a guy they met in a bar. Some people are more "private" than others and that is not, necessarily, a bad thing. Now, clearly, the OP has decided to try to take this relationship to another level and that is the time to tell him of the existence of a son.

All the other stuff, whether she should have got divorced, whether her custody arrangements are appropriate, etc., are really none of our business and are not relevant to the original question. Naturally, some of the posters on here, secure in their moral armor, think that they are right and that the OP is wrong. Who knows? Maybe they are wrong or maybe they are both right. Facts and circumstances differ in every situation and I, for one, prefer not to be judgemental.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Maybe it's just me then, but I usually refrain from talking about kids in a bar. I judt don't think it's the right atmosphere for such conversation after only meeting 5 minutes ago.

Here's how it would go:

"Sure! I'd love to down this shot - did I mention I have a 4 year old?"

I mean, seriously??

Last edited by proudvoterofObama; 08-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Hypothetically speaking of course!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
"Normal" is a very wide spectrum and not everyone wants to - or should - share intimate details of their lives with a guy they met in a bar. Some people are more "private" than others and that is not, necessarily, a bad thing.
You know, I'm one of the most private people you'd meet, and yet when I was married I thought it'd be perfectly normal to say "my husband and I" did something when I didn't do it alone. There's usually nothing "intimate" about such everyday expressions even though the first clue I gave in the office about getting a divorce was mentioning I am going on vacation, so I can sort of see your point, too. The bottom line is I most definitely know how to avoid things and dodge questions, so I also know that's done deliberately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships