Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times

Advertisements

suddenly I feel the need for Bunt cake.

YouTube - ‪my big fat greek wedding miix of funny moments‬‎
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
It's an anniversary of a date, like at 5 years and you get a watch at work.

I don't think they are asking for acceptance of their lifestyle choice, or if you merely say "congratulations" you are condoning anything.

I mean heck. If two of your friends have been married 20 years and have an anniversary party and are well known for being miserable, what are you going to do? Not come to the party as a political statement?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's an anniversary of a date, like at 5 years and you get a watch at work.

I don't think they are asking for acceptance of their lifestyle choice, or if you merely say "congratulations" you are condoning anything.

I mean heck. If two of your friends have been married 20 years and have an anniversary party and are well known for being miserable, what are you going to do? Not come to the party as a political statement?
Well I guess they would still be together because misery loves company

good think about the living together only, just bail out!
Person overboard!!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 AM

143 posts, read 374,617 times
Maybe that couple sees moving in together as the official start of the adult phase of their relationship. A lot of married couples are together for a year or more before their married, but those years don't 'count' when you're celebrating an anniversary. If marriage is not for them, but they wanted a specific way to 'count' or whatever, then I don't see what the big issue is. Other people use the first kiss, or first date, or the first time they told each other "I love you," etc.

Personally, I see way too many immature/headed for doom marriages that happen because folks want to do things the so-called 'right' way ... and now I'm watching their divorces. I'll pass on that, and rather than celebrate the day I threw a big party and told 200 people I sort of know "Hey, I'm shacking up with this guy!!," I'll just celebrate my relationship.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
Maybe that couple sees moving in together as the official start of the adult phase of their relationship. A lot of married couples are together for a year or more before their married, but those years don't 'count' when you're celebrating an anniversary. If marriage is not for them, but they wanted a specific way to 'count' or whatever, then I don't see what the big issue is. Other people use the first kiss, or first date, or the first time they told each other "I love you," etc.

Personally, I see way too many immature/headed for doom marriages that happen because folks want to do things the so-called 'right' way ... and now I'm watching their divorces. I'll pass on that, and rather than celebrate the day I threw a big party and told 200 people I sort of know "Hey, I'm shacking up with this guy!!," I'll just celebrate my relationship.
Good points,
You never realize the changes in the world until you see that you are the "older generation"
Marriage has changed and evolved just like everything else in society. I think the "doomed" marriages just have to allow themselves time to roll with the tides before bailing out.
I am sure hubs and I were quite "doomed" more than once.We were young, poor, not done with college. Now we are old poor and I am back in college!
There is some validation in saying the vows.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:35 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
I agree with you OP. I'll be surprised but I'll still congrats them for living together for 3 years.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
My ex husband and I had a 10 year living together anniversary party. We invited all of our friends and family then surprised them all by getting married.

The people who were kind of rude about the living together party were completely taken aback and our real friends were very happy for us.

In retrospect we should have just stayed happily living together because 3 years later we were divorced.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
I fail to see why they would care about your approval. If you don't want to say "congratulations" which is a polite and the right thing to say here, just smile and don't say anything.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
bring out the balloons and the cheering and say congratulations.
god bless women that live with you. thank you ladies for living with us. its not the live in's that will harm you-- its the "do the right thing" gals that will smack you with a 1/2 million plus divorce lawsuit in a few years.
treat women good that you date and/or live with, they deserve it, they are honest. strangely enough- its the "do the right thing" gals that get the backing of the church and family, even when you are renting a room and paying most of your salary to alimony. "son, we know you did her wrong, why else would a poor women ever divorce you?"
lets hear it for the live in's.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-10-2010 at 09:21 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
I agree with you OP. I'll be surprised but I'll still congrats them for living together for 3 years.
Yes I am going with the "that is nice" statement Pleasant but not confrontational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships