Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris245 View Post
I understood her point about relativism. What is good for me is not necessarily good for you. I did had sociology classes i'm well aware of the fact that predicting human behavior is not an exact science. But its the inexperienced part that got to me, adults always assume that because they are older they are wiser.
I'm not typically one of those people. It just stands to reason that a 20-yr-old is not going to have a whole of relationship experience. Just as I have no idea what it's like to have empty nest syndrome, becoming a senior, or whatever. Just because I may have read about it somewhere doesn't give license to pull out the broad brush.

Quote:
That was the element that I really don't take lightly. I can say i'm sorry if i wasn't clear for calling Braunwyn a nobody But I think my anger was justified even if people don't approve me.
The nobody comment was just an attempt to distract yourself from the discussion. If you want to become an educated person then you should know what you are talking about and be clear in how you present it. I'm not saying this as an attack. It's good, honest advice. I just gave the same advice to my intern today as she was practicing for her big presentation tomorrow.

-Don't use words you don't understand or attempt to dress your topic with seemingly fancy rhetoric (she does this, and it's goofy). Don't make statements of fact that you cannot explain or prove. Keep it simple and stick with what you know.

Quote:
Human behavior can be predicted using the same principles (Biology, Psychology and Sociology). I've managed to compartmentalize my emotions so I can basically have a normal conversation and keep in control of every single action I do and analyse behavior and body language at the same time.

Again, no, it can not. In reality, none of this extends outside your own head. You are simply too inexperienced and undereducated to know any better. To think you can fathom the experience of another via psych 101 pop psychobabble classes is reproachable. (this part is insulting)
I don't think my conclusion is incorrect. You do not know enough about biology or psychology to even attempt such outlandish correlations, but you think you do. You're just flat out wrong and there is no reason for me to think you do know any better. Clearly, you do not. And that offends you. Well, prepare yourself to get offended all over the place- in college and in the workforce. Any prof would pitch a fit if your psych school work even remotely resembles what you have to say here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
My fave is s/h/it but I save that for very special people.
LOL! Well cr*p, I never thought of that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Ha, good question. We could be anybody or anything we wanted to be. I think I want to be a female swashbuckling pirate, who is successful and emasculates all men she meets with her fierce swordsmanship. Then, that could be another thread about how successful female pirates have trouble with relationships.
ghharrrr m'lady.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 PM

283 posts, read 458,655 times
women are facinathing creatures...I'm really amazed.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
I understood her point about relativism. What is good for me is not necessarily good for you. I did had sociology classes i'm well aware of the fact that predicting human behavior is not an exact science. But its the inexperienced part that got to me, adults always assume that because they are older they are wiser.
I think that is annoying too. Because in reality no-one can really be in your head really, (meaning you). I remember hating when people said things like this to me when I was your age. The truth is you show a lot of maturity and intellectual curiosity that you just don't see that often. Even in adults. So don't let it get you down. I don't think adults are always wiser. Look around you see lots of examples of older people who act idiotic.

I have eaten a lot of my own words because experience just blew my idealistic views out of the water. One advantage that adults have is that they not only experienced your perspective, but they also see your perspective looking back from an adult view. That overlap of views makes you see things differently.

I hope I have not talked down to you at all because I think you have a lot to offer and you have the ability to get people talking and debating. Honestly I thought you were older than you are so you definitely are mature beyond your years.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
Okay, took me a bit to get through that post, since the tags were messed up, but I think I got it right.

Chris, seriously, you are going to have to get over that. EVERYONE your age feels that way, so I know this is falling on deaf ears, so to speak. But once you do have experience, you WILL understand what the rest of us are trying to say.
When I was 20 I was on an age trip, but a different kind of trip. I wasn't so concerned about what my elders had to say because A. I didn't listen to them and B. I knew better

Any way, at 20 I was pretty worried. I knew that my mind and personality was malleable as a young person- ya know, all those neuron connections haven't been made yet lol, and I figured that as we grow older we tend to get stuck in our ways (can't teach an old dog new trips, etc). I was very fearful that if I didn't massage out all my little quirks and undesirable aspects of my personality, become enlightened by the time I was 29, that I would be stuck with them for the rest of my life. The worst part was that I wouldn't even know it! Ahh, because we all can easily morph into drones, sort of like a dawn of the dead scenario.

Well, there ya go. 20-yr-old + grateful dead + ?*$&

Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I think that is annoying too. Because in reality no-one can really be in your head really, (meaning you). I remember hating when people said things like this to me when I was your age. The truth is you show a lot of maturity and intellectual curiosity that you just don't see that often. Even in adults. So don't let it get you down. I don't think adults are always wiser. Look around you see lots of examples of older people who act idiotic.

I have eaten a lot of my own words because experience just blew my idealistic views out of the water. One advantage that adults have is that they not only experienced your perspective, but they also see your perspective looking back from an adult view. That overlap of views makes you see things differently.

I hope I have not talked down to you at all because I think you have a lot to offer and you have the ability to get people talking and debating. Honestly I thought you were older than you are so you definitely are mature beyond your years.
It takes more than that to bring me down

Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
It takes more than that to bring me down
Actually, a whole lot less for what you were flinging insults about.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Actually, a whole lot less for what you were flinging insults about.
Can you know for sure that this wasn't just me acting?? I wanted this to happen to me. Its be so long since I've had a confrontation like that, I almost forgot how plesurable it felt to be proven wrong. Being inexperienced Is a temperary situation but being ignorant can be a permanent situation if you don't do anything to learn something new.

I loved playing this game with my ex.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We really should start a CD thread to see where everyone rates themselves on the normal scale. Need to define what is a 1 and what is 10.

I'll leave my number for others to decide based on their perspective. It's like the advice we give on here, to some it's the stupidest thing they've ever heard and to others it's very profound.

But, some Saturday nights I'm a 3 (twisted but not crazy) and usually by Tuesday morning I've returned to being an 8 (Good common sense nice guy).

I'd like to see that thread.

Where is the interest in normal? Normal is white rice. What holds interest is in the complexties - the trials and tribulations that form a well-rounded individual. The dark and twisties that add layers of flavor to the to a person.

If you take time to know people - I don't think there is a normal. I know people who are consumed by APPEARING normal. But I think that is only a facade they wish to be seen.

The human psyche is so complex and varied. There is beauty in that which makes normal the abnormal.

Sorry total thread drifffft. I'll blame if on the wine.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Why do you think I'm humiliating myself for? I'm killing my inner child.
I haven't read past this post, but if this is a sincere statement, you could be on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships