Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,073 times

Advertisements

I have a four year old and have no desire whatsoever to have any more. If there weren't too many cons to having a hysterectomy at age 23, I would do it in a heartbeat. Your not weird - you just know what you want. I admire that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Imagine some guy coming back in 4 years with a clinical diagnosis of depression etc. suing the doctor for doing the procedure, it happens.
Why would he be able to sue the doctor? Is he under-age or something? Doesn't such a thing as personal responsibility exist anymore?! It's like the moron who didn't know the coffee was scorching hot and sued.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Why would he be able to sue the doctor?
Because he didn't get the outcome he liked, and can dream up some way to blame it on the doctor.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Doctors do the same for women who want to have their tubes tied. A friend of mine had to lobby hard for her doctor to do the procedure when she was 28 and had two children.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM

58 posts, read 138,798 times
I am black and was single when I got a my vasectomy. I got one because I never wanted kids, but and after having two "Opps", I got one. I got it done when I was only 22. However, now I am married to my sons mother. I love my kids, but I regrat I didn't do it sooner. I knew what I wanted, so I wish I wouldn't have waited. And for the women thing, I never any problem. Girls who I dated joked about it or ask my why I did it, but that never stopped me from getting women. Furthermore, if a women is acting that why about your vasectomy then that not the girl you want a real relationship with.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Doctors do the same for women who want to have their tubes tied. A friend of mine had to lobby hard for her doctor to do the procedure when she was 28 and had two children.
Unbelievable! The land of the free... It has to be the biggest joke ever!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I respect your decision, and hope that you will adopt someday.
But, respectfully, I think you were much too young to make this decision yet.
I hope that you don't lose the woman of your dreams, who will choose someone else because she wants biological children.
I also hope that you don't have a change of heart when you're 40 and regret your decision. Contrary to popular opinion, reversals frequently do not work.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Do you see any legitimate reason for a 26 year old man to be limited or denied the right to solely because of his age? Thats ridiculous. I'm a 26 year old tax paying MAN, not a child. As when talking to most women I consider dating the topic of intimacy, children, etc...comes up. I'm not one to beat around the bush or lie so I tell them I'm snipped when asked so that I can weed out anyone who's not genuinely interested in me.
Mike, someone could be genuinely interested in you, in fact you could be the love of her life...her dream man, but she will take a pass because she wants to have children with the man she loves. It's not shallowness, it's the maternal instinct.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I just want to know why does society still seem to project the image of being childless, with no desire to have biological children as being socially abnormal.

I'm a young, single male who opted to have a vasectomy at my current age of 26. Not only have my family and friends given me a hard time (instead of just accepting my decisions) but one of my prospective urologist advised I see a psychotherapist for possible mental issues. Needless to say I opted for a different surgeon.

My reasons for making this decision have nothing to do with my physical desires for the opposite sex or underlying emotional issues. My parents have been happily married for 40 years with 4 boys as a result. I just sincerely believe that, if chosen as an option in the future; adoption is a selfless way of providing an otherwise unwanted child with the opportunity to have a great life. Although I do have to admit my parents were severely heartbroken upon hearing the news. I just believe procreating for the sake of "leaving a legacy" is quite vain and immature.

Certain women, especially minority (black, asian, hispanic\latin) seem too quick to write off someone such as myself upon finding out I'm snipped without letting me give a legitimate explanation. I am black and my actions seem to be taboo for my community which is absurd. Is it because of strong ties to their cultural and religious beliefs? I'm not the lest bit discouraged, just a bit curious as to why this is even an issue for society as a collective. I couldn't be more happy with my decision.
I was already married at the time, but I had mine in my early 30s. When the doc asked me if I was finished having kids I told him I wasn't having any, his eyes almost popped out of his head.
In spite of feminism I think most women still look at the traditional qualities for breedability () as do men. I have a friend who told me she lost the love of her life because he wanted kids & she doesn't.
I am in 100% agreement with you on the bolded sentence.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I respect your decision, and hope that you will adopt someday.
But, respectfully, I think you were much too young to make this decision yet.
I hope that you don't lose the woman of your dreams, who will choose someone else because she wants biological children.
I also hope that you don't have a change of heart when you're 40 and regret your decision. Contrary to popular opinion, reversals frequently do not work.
I assuming that the woman of his dreams will have similar views on reproduction that he does.

I'm a woman who never wants to have children. I can assure you that my dream man will not want children either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships