Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This afternoon, I was at the Bass Pro Shop buying some hooks and bait and the cashier was a pretty little thing. Very nice girl and I thought about asking for her number but she could be way too young. Also, I figured she probably gets hit on a lot by all the rednecks that go through that store

I guess, I am used to meeting people through online dating and I much prefer to meet people in real life but what if I asked for her number and she was 18? At least online, you can search people by age. Do you prefer to meet people online, real life or a combination of both?
It's always easier online - no intimidation, no worries about rejection - well the rejection seems easier to take online but my advice is always to just take the chance. If you meet someone in public or you see someone that looks interesting, scope it out a little bit (make sure she doesn't have a man) and then ask. Worse case scenario is she says no or says "no, I have a b/f".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 07:51 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
I have found it to be the best thing that ever happened to me. It saved me a ton of time. I'd rather know that someone fits the ideal profile for me, then work on the chemistry instead of relying on chance and the universe. I don't go out to meet or pursue men, so this is a good way for me to, comfortably, be proactive in my search for the ideal man. I found him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
I think I prefer meeting people in real life.. I guess I can judge them (in a good way) their characters, morals, behaviors, and attitudes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
In person of course. Online is good, but there's no substitute for the real thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherchaps View Post
I have always met men in person. I personally like the whole face to face thing.
Hate the whole online thing. Just not for me.
It does make meeting people harder because not a lot of men approach me, but when one does, it is major props for that guy because he had balls to go out on a limb. And I like that confidence about a man!
I don't understand why this keeps coming up. As much as people say they met online, you don't actually meet or date people online. You search online, then meet and, with any luck, eventually date through these websites. There is no such thing as church dating, bake aisle dating, newspaper dating or roller skating dating.

And if you "have always met in person", how can you hate the whole online thing or know that it isn't for you? I'm certainly not saying it is for everyone, but how do you know?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Online and "real life" each have their advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses. If you use the strengths of each to your advantage, you can date far more effectively. It also depends on what you're looking for - a hookup, or an actual relationship. I'm assuming the latter.

Real life:
Advantage: you can immediately know if there is attraction
Disadvantage: it takes time to determine compatibility, and you can be blindsided by the attraction into wanting to believe they're compatible - after much wasted time, you find they're not

Online:
Advantage: you can screen for compatibility in terms of values, goals, interests, beliefs, etc., before meeting - but only if you take the time to do so
Disadvantage: you won't know until you meet if there will be actual chemistry (attraction), but if it is there, you already know you're probably compatible

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
This afternoon, I was at the Bass Pro Shop buying some hooks and bait and the cashier was a pretty little thing. Very nice girl and I thought about asking for her number but she could be way too young. Also, I figured she probably gets hit on a lot by all the rednecks that go through that store

I guess, I am used to meeting people through online dating and I much prefer to meet people in real life but what if I asked for her number and she was 18? At least online, you can search people by age. Do you prefer to meet people online, real life or a combination of both?
So... what's the real problem with the girl at the fishing tackle shop? If it's your regular place to shop, then you could have struck up a conversation with her. Just say a few extra words to her every time you stop in. Find out if she likes fishing or it's just a job to her. Ask if she's going to school.

And while online dating seems easier because you know that the women there are actively seeking dates, there is a lot of room for misinformation. And I think that there is also the real problem of imagining the other person to be more wonderful than they really during the period before you finally get a chance to meet them.

Also photographs can be misleading. Plus because there is a tendency for people to gravitate towards those that have great pictures, I think that many people miss out on meeting great people whose only fault is that they aren't photogenic. And I'd say that in the long run, when searching for a love that you want to last for all your lives, picking a mate just based on their youthful good looks isn't the smartest way to go. Looks fade and change. And someone that knows their main appeal to the opposite sex is their beauty usually turns into an old person with many insecurities and low self esteem.

I pick my boyfriends mostly on their smarts and personality. And that needs to be gauged in person. Especially the personality part.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:

Not all on~line persons are telling you their true age....

Guy sent me a pic of himself in a Chaise Lounger , handsome, dark head of hair , Only problem : The pic was taken in 1972.....lol....He was 30 years older than his pic. His hair was white / grey.....

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Umm...when I use an online "dating" site, I do meet the people in real life.
I don't consider having an online communication as anything more than just that. The whole point is, to actually MEET them face to face. Online dating sites are simply one method to find prospective dates. Really not much difference to me...just that online suits my lifestyle better.
Mine too.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'd say I've only had one person that I met online--everyone else was in person.

I don't drive, so the person would have to be local anyhow.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
id rather meet in person. its much more exciting getting to know someone you know nothing about. reading through a list of what someone about is kinda boring. plus most girls on dating sites arent quality

you think the girl may only be 18? strike up a conversation and figure it out. the whole internet thing has made a lot of people really clueless in real life.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Exactly.

It always pays to get to know people first, you never know what kind of nutcase they are.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
I'm 61 and wife is 62. I placed a Personal Ad in 2000 thru a local magazine and we've been married for 9 years now. We are very compatiable and she loves my cooking as much as I love her potato salad and spagette! In my ad, I stated my true age, looks and interests/hobbies. Major interest/hobby was rodeo. We met and totally shocked each other both dressed to the "t" in Western wear, including a cowboy hat! She had gone to some rodeo's and loved wearing her hat to squaredances. I had also squaredanced for some years. Everything worked out great!!
Today's online dating thing can be very decieving....lying about age, displaying an old photo, holding back on certain things (like having kids or smoking). Some singles just want to meet someone so bad that they are pretty dishonest about themselves online!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships