Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM

36,235 posts, read 30,671,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
2mares,
It's not about being the first couple of dates (which can go for months or years) that men pay, it's about EXPECTING men to do something. It seems it bothers lots of women in and out of the forum to have men EXPECT them to do something, in this case, housechores. That is why I mentioned I found it interesting how women do expect men to fulfill certain roles, yet, get upset if something is expected from women.
I agree that many women also expect men to do certain things which is just as bad. As was mentioned here, change tires, mowing and take out the garbage.
I think the bigger issue is that women are expected to do all the household chores which is a daily thing, and actually pick up others personal messes and act as a server while men sit around doing nothing. Where paying for a meal, cleaning gutters and the typical "man expectations" are occasional chores. Expecting a woman to cook for major holidays and events, cleaning the fridge and oven, taking a temporary leave from work to have a baby would be equivalent to that.
And the bigger issue for me is that anyone expect every woman to define herself by how white her whites are as if that is the entire reason for existance.

or this exactly :
Quote:
Have we raised a generation of women who will never know the satisfaction of dying a little to oneself?
As if I should exude satistaction from getting the racing stripes out of a guys tighty whities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,543,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
My SO is upstairs at this very moment vacuuming with the brand new Hoover we just bought. Later tonight he will prepare and cook a very tasty dinner
I was very excited to vaccum when I bought my Dyson Animal. The novelty has since worn off. LOL

I don't know how to change a tire and have never tried. However, I know I should. It's one of those things I say I should do and never get around to. I'm not about to learn how to change the oil, though. If the future Mr. Dogwalker does not want to do it, either, we can pay someone. No biggie!

If I was in a position to stay home or work part-time (though I'd still be busy with volunteer work), I'd have no problem doing a bigger share of the household chores. It's only fair. If we both work full-time then we should split them up based on who is good at what and what we hate doing the least. He will still have to kill the flying roaches, though!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:37 PM

36,235 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
I don't know how to change a tire and have never tried. However, I know I should. It's one of those things I say I should do and never get around to. I'm not about to learn how to change the oil, though. If the future Mr. Dogwalker does not want to do it, either, we can pay someone. No biggie!
eh. I dont know too many people that change their own oil anymore. Thats what jiffy lube is for.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,214,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I'm the first one to joke about the B and B method of keeping a man happy--keep the belly full and the balls empty--but the whole issue that I rail against is woman working fulltime, man working fulltime, woman doing all the daily household chores, man mowing the lawn once a week and thinking he's done.

But to counter your argument, I think that given the choice between a woman who is good in the bedroom and a woman who is good in the kitchen, they'll take the one who is good in the bedroom and call for reservations.
Some men are lucky enough to have both,just ask my DH. Oh,I still manage to do 90% of the farm work as well. Such is life!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I used to be a city "I can't change a tire" girl... Well, we have a division of labor now: He cuts the trees, I split the wood. He builds the frame of a house, I board in. He lowers cement crocks into a well, I guide them inside the well hole. He has back pain whole winter, and sits around. I cook and clean. In spring, he fixes cars, I dig the garden. I go away to attend school (to learn car collision repairs to help him), he is the stay at home parent looking after 2 small kids. It's give and take, give and take, the constant dance of well oiled relationship machine.
Awesome...

Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM

:-)

Last edited by Mt-7; 08-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: didn't get the quote in, now it is in the next post

Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Run a combine, maybe? You know, one of those big, corn-reaping machines?
exactly

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,084,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I sadly heard a beautiful gal at church today say she is getting divorced.
"He expects me to cook and clean and do those wife things" I thought how sad, I just kept quiet because I really was astounded.
What do you think?
I always worked full time, cooked,cleaned,kept the house moving along. Worked nights if I needed to. What I wanted was a happy home. Maybe I did more than my share but who is keeping a list?
Have we raised a generation of women who will never know the satisfaction of dying a little to oneself?

When I get married my husband will know from the beginning Im a career women first...before a housewife...whoever gets home first will start dinner...Im the wife, not the maid...we will take care of the house together, that will include everything...I can mow the lawn, shovel the sidewalk when it snows... as well as cook and dust...
Im not looking to be someones mom...but a wife...

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree that many women also expect men to do certain things which is just as bad. As was mentioned here, change tires, mowing and take out the garbage.
I think the bigger issue is that women are expected to do all the household chores which is a daily thing, and actually pick up others personal messes and act as a server while men sit around doing nothing. Where paying for a meal, cleaning gutters and the typical "man expectations" are occasional chores. Expecting a woman to cook for major holidays and events, cleaning the fridge and oven, taking a temporary leave from work to have a baby would be equivalent to that.
And the bigger issue for me is that anyone expect every woman to define herself by how white her whites are as if that is the entire reason for existance.

or this exactly :

As if I should exude satistaction from getting the racing stripes out of a guys tighty whities.
That has got to be the funniest post so far

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
When I get married my husband will know from the beginning Im a career women first...before a housewife...whoever gets home first will start dinner...Im the wife, not the maid...we will take care of the house together, that will include everything...I can mow the lawn, shovel the sidewalk when it snows... as well as cook and dust...
Im not looking to be someones mom...but a wife...
This is the post I have been looking for. Just how is it all viewed by today's young woman. Many happy tomorrows for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships