Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But it becomes an issue in marriages, often because men and women have different ideas of what a clean house is. IMO, women spend too much time cleaning and worrying about house work. Women want men to help and the guys are tired and don't see the need to do more work. There are women who can't sleep if there are dishes in the sink. Men without OCD do not do this. In the whole scheme of things, there are lots more important things to keep us awake at night.
Exactly. Plus, many women I know, including myself, feel that our homes are an expression of who we are. I feel that I have more of an emotional investment in its appearance than my husband does.

He couldn't care less whether the throw pillows are arranged "just so", or if the toaster has fingerprints on it. I care about the fingerprints, so I clean them.

That's why my husband steps back and lets me choose the paint colors, the bedding, and how the kitchen cabinets are organized. I wouldn't say that he doesn't care about those things, but he cares far less than I do. If he did care, he'd participate more.

Over a period of time, habits are established and it became agreed upon that the home is my domain, and one that I rule over and assume more responsibility for. Luckily, my husband has similar standards for cleanliness and he picks up after himself and he certainly doesn't expect me to cook unless I want to. But he does step aside and let me "rule" in many areas of running our home. With power comes responsibility.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 08-18-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjulia View Post
can we please stop using "feminist" as a put-down?

:d

Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
C'mon, tickle fight, tickle fight!
I knew the men were reading all this waiting for the jelly wrestling to start !!!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I knew the men were reading all this waiting for the jelly wrestling to start !!!
OR they are sitting back reading the posts and imagining women on their knees in short skirts and fish nets cleaning the floor, their face dewey from the sweat and hair slightly messy. Chanting yeah, that's it....clean those floors....scrub hard, harder!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Dang. I thought I was supposed to be wearing pearls and my Dior New Look dress.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree that it can be a loaded and dated word. I disagree that it denotes (has the definition of) female superiority or privilege, but I know it can have those connotations. Working for causes that affect women doesn't mean that the people who do so are anti-man or their causes. I donate time and money to the Easter Seals but do not impede people who do things for multiple sclerosis or diabetes--same thing. I view T-shirts and parades for black history month and gay pride the same way: they are simply promoting their own goals, not standing in the way of anyone else's (although there are some wacklaoons out there, as I said).

"Egalitarian" is almost excessively neutral but does the trick at times. Still, it does not mean the same thing.

I've stated my thoughts on the terminology before because for me, words DO have weight and meaning, a certain "Freudian" quality about them on occasion.

I think "Feminist" is one of those and I say that as a man who has repeatedly declared himself an adamant Women's Libber and a vehement anti-Feminist.

I suspect that if a Masculist movement actually came into being and picked up momentum it would be in VERY short order leaders would be in court for "sexist" policies and agendas. This is because the very term itself connotates a marked agenda for ONE sex, not anything egalitarian, but promotion.

And I know, you've told me before JJ, that you feel differently about that; however, you're on the side that particular movement is FOR.

And I DO agree, "feminist" CAN mean all those man-bashing, man-hating, venomous things. Then again there just might be a reason it's come to be equated with those things. We've been told in our politically correct society for so long that ANY form of stereotype is just WRONG WRONG WRONG that we tend to forget, stereotypes don't just magically spring from the Bitterness Fairy's arse out of pure nastiness. They get exaggerated, they get WAY blown out of proportion and implant themselves in the public mind... but they don't simply spring from nothingness spontaneously. People observe a (typically) negative phenomenon, they observe it in amounts which begin to seem consistent to them and a stereotype is born.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Dang. I thought I was supposed to be wearing pearls and my Dior New Look dress.
LOL...Just hike your dress up a bit and pearls.....that sounds HOT!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The oven mitts are off!

Let us see some oil Wrestling pics.

hahaha

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM

I can't remember the product with the commercial where there are a bunch of cosplayers at a con, and two girls bump into each other, look tough, and all the guys start chanting "Fight... fight... fight..."

Then at the end all the guys look stunned, stop chanting "fight" and start saying "Kiss her.... kiss her..."

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, must be too hot in this kitchen - no man dares poke his nose!
They are reading, just afraid to say what they really think and want not to **** off the women.
I can only think of one male poster who wouldn't be afraid to **** off the women, unfortunately he no longer comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships