Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Require New Sex Partners to be Tested for STDs/STI's Before Sleeping With Them?
Yes, I make the requirement. 15 42.86%
No, I don't make the requirement. 12 34.29%
I trust if the other person tells she/he is 'clean' 5 14.29%
None of the above, I'm abstinent 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM

326 posts, read 838,085 times

Advertisements

I have never asked or cared before. But since my 5 year relationship went down the drain I am thinking into the future. Once I am ready to date/be in a relationship again I MIGHT want documentation.

I do not have health insurance. I really can't afford to get cervical or throat cancer ATM and since 80% of adults will have HPV by age 50 I dont know if want to chance it.

Condoms do little to protect against herps and genital warts.

And good judgement??? ANYONE that has had sex ever in their life is at risk for STIs. So unless you are knocking down virgins you really cannot base your STI assement on a person's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 PM

326 posts, read 838,085 times
But at the same time, I am somewhat torn. It could be totally pointless to test for HPV since once your body regains control it lies dormant within you and is almost impossable to find with testing. So it is really just a "dive in and hope for the best" situation with sexual activity.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
Something in the way you write tells me that you are a pretty young person. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, the problem is that many people have STD's but they don't know it. So sure, from that perspective you can 'trust' somebody all you want
I don't know--is 40 young?

I've had maybe a dozen relationships in my life, so perhaps I'm young in that way. I've also been completely celibate for about three years now. Solo sex is safest of all.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 AM

364 posts, read 1,979,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
And good judgement??? ANYONE that has had sex ever in their life is at risk for STIs. So unless you are knocking down virgins you really cannot base your STI assement on a person's character.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
But at the same time, I am somewhat torn. It could be totally pointless to test for HPV since once your body regains control it lies dormant within you and is almost impossable to find with testing. So it is really just a "dive in and hope for the best" situation with sexual activity.
Absolutely. But other stuff may show up during testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't know--is 40 young?

I've had maybe a dozen relationships in my life, so perhaps I'm young in that way. I've also been completely celibate for about three years now. Solo sex is safest of all.
Ha, ha, my bad. It's just that, your previous post came across as from somebody with little experience. Sorry about that. Bad call on my part.

Celibate for three years!!! Wow, that's pretty remarkable. You should start a new thread with a poll about that. I'm wondering what's the record out there for people that decide to be abstinent.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Compared to other guys my age, I probably am inexperienced.

I think my record is seven years--simply because I hadn't found a partner over that time. Half of that time I was in the Navy, and I didn't really look for someone when I got out either. I wasn't one to go out and troll for women..and I'm still not. I went to work, and went home. Ate, slept, repeat. In fact, when I did meet someone, it was at work, one of the customers--and she approached me.

I never do the approaching.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
No test for STD's but I do like to have them do a mental health evaluation, a credit check, a Lie Detector test, police background check and run DNA. I also require 3 references from previous lovers to know I'm not wasting valuable energy or time on someone who just lays there like a rock.

Other than that I don't have many requirements.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Trojan is your friend.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Before I have sex with them, I hook them up to my lie detector test. There are forty questions, question number 23 is do you have any STD's. Saves time on the foreplay too.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 AM

364 posts, read 1,979,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No test for STD's but I do like to have them do a mental health evaluation, a credit check, a Lie Detector test, police background check and run DNA. I also require 3 references from previous lovers to know I'm not wasting valuable energy or time on someone who just lays there like a rock.Other than that I don't have many requirements.
LOL

I bet you have the most successful relationships on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Before I have sex with them, I hook them up to my lie detector test. There are forty questions, question number 23 is do you have any STD's. Saves time on the foreplay too.
I'm afraid your lie detector test cannot detect viruses. They are very tiny organisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Trojan is your friend.
I thought Trojan was a virus

Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
I thought Trojan was a virus
Nope, Trojans is a school mascot as in USC Trojans.

You have to love a school that names their mascot after a condom. My kind of place to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships