Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:09 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

An old thread, but a perennial subject.... The very concept of morality is fluid and liminal. This Forum is perhaps not suitable context for such a debate, as the issue is vast and intractable. But I would like to note, as others have noted, that some of one's core beliefs are matters of taste and preference, and others are regarded as bases of how in principal all of humanity ought to behave. One can compromise extensively with one's future or present partner in matters of taste and preference, but not really in the postulates of how to behave.

As society gets more atomized and more competitive, it's increasingly more difficult to connect with others – whether romantically or just to borrow the lawn mower. This makes it harder to find like-minded people, but does NOT imply that such people no longer exist! Rather, in an impersonal and competitive world, most visible will be the flamboyant and suave. Their reputations will become dominant, pacing the culture and our apprehensions thereof. There is still I think a "silent majority" amongst whom the OP might find many fine candidates. Their number may be large, but they are not readily visible. Therein lies the problem!

It's also true that in modern America, the so-called "Christian Conservatives" have aggrandized to themselves a claim of moral rectitude, so that those who oppose their doctrine are seen as somehow decrepit or debauched. This complicates dating, and civic life in general, for persons who remain impressed with the Western tradition of Greco-Roman virtue-ethics, but who don't partake of the established Christian idiom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

It's also true that in modern America, the so-called "Christian Conservatives" have aggrandized to themselves a claim of moral rectitude, so that those who oppose their doctrine are seen as somehow decrepit or debauched. This complicates dating, and civic life in general, for persons who remain impressed with the Western tradition of Greco-Roman virtue-ethics, but who don't partake of the established Christian idiom.
Or just plain "modern" or "progressive".

I mean even within christian environment, something as simple as premarital sex...I don't judge people who do it...heck I consider myself a Christian (a Catholic) and I do that often...only if the woman doesn't want to...well I can refrain myself from it.

Morality is just like a compass, like Gil Grissom once said, but you cannot go there unless you believe that's the right way to go.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:57 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Depends on what morals we are talking about here...

Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Depends on what morals we are talking about here...
Something as simple as a "lie" is under the moral code.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
One needs to judge "moral" principles by the consequences of acting on them. The same goes for "immoral" principles!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:16 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
People with lower moral standards may simply hook-up more. It doesn't mean they have found lasting, loving relationships.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
I find genuine feminist men attractive, not those fake ones. Also huh, when I see my husband participating for things to save animals and environment that is sexy. SEXY!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships