Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do I give my Aunt a gift or not?
Yes, give her a gift. 24 92.31%
No, a gift is not necessary. 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I happen to love Edible Arrangements and they have all sorts of selections to choose from. It's a gift a little out of the ordinary, not extravagant and let's her know you really appreciate her helping you out in your time of need.
That's another idea for the coworker, if you are so inclined. It was awfully nice of her to pass along the tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,619,645 times
MA, i'm very sorry your beloved MOM has passed on.

Many times, where there was much pain, there is now nomore pain.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,419,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
MA, i'm very sorry your beloved MOM has passed on.

Many times, where there was much pain, there is now nomore pain.
No pain for her, but a lot of pain for her 7 kids. Dad passed away 5 years ago and it's never become easier.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,335,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I have an Aunt who works for a major airline. Occasionally she'll get free guest passes for free travel to give to other people. When my mom passed away unexpectedly 2 months ago, she graciously offered to fly me home with two of those guest passes. Come to find out, a coworker had offered them to her for me (I'm guessing she didn't have any to give me herself). I was beyond grateful.

A few weeks later, my Aunt texted me to ask me how I was doing. Later on in our converstaion, she mentioned if I needed to go home to take care of things, to let her know and she'd fly me again. I took her up on her offer and am flying home again today for the weekend. We're selling my mom's house and I'm helping with the estate sale and moving/packing/cleaning.

Is it appropriate for me to give my Aunt a gift for something she received for free? I want to do something nice for her, but I'm not sure HOW much or if I should even do anything. Some people I've asked have said not to worry about it. Because of her generosity, she has saved me around $1,000 in airfare.

Thoughts?
Sorry for your loss MA, but yes definitely get her something and something for her coworker since that was the one who offered to her for you.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 23,626 times
Airline employees are given 5-10 passes to give away every year. They can't sell them and they can't use them, they are for family and friends. She was really not going out of her way to give them to you. A lot of people end up trashing their passes because they can't find anyone to give them too. They would all love for someone to use them rather than sending it to the trash(the passes are only good for one year then they get new ones), hence the coworker passing on her passes as well.

It's really no big deal for either of them but a nice thank you and at most a thank you card are all that should be required.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,666,297 times
I am so sorry about your mom. In regard to your aunt, you should definitely give her some kind of thank you. You might consider asking her if there is anything in your mom's house that she would like. Sometimes things we'd get rid of have a sentimental value to others, so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times
Quote:
I have an Aunt who works for a major airline. Occasionally she'll get free guest passes for free travel to give to other people. When my mom passed away unexpectedly 2 months ago, she graciously offered to fly me home with two of those guest passes. Come to find out, a coworker had offered them to her for me (I'm guessing she didn't have any to give me herself). I was beyond grateful.

A few weeks later, my Aunt texted me to ask me how I was doing. Later on in our converstaion, she mentioned if I needed to go home to take care of things, to let her know and she'd fly me again. I took her up on her offer and am flying home again today for the weekend. We're selling my mom's house and I'm helping with the estate sale and moving/packing/cleaning.

Is it appropriate for me to give my Aunt a gift for something she received for free? I want to do something nice for her, but I'm not sure HOW much or if I should even do anything. Some people I've asked have said not to worry about it. Because of her generosity, she has saved me around $1,000 in airfare.

Thoughts?

MA, I am so sorry for your loss!

YES, by all means, give your aunt a gift of some kind along with a nice card to say you appreciate her help at this time. The gift does not need to be expensive - some nice bubble bath, a yankee candle, etc.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,637,345 times
Quote:

Thoughts?

I'm always very appreciative of things like this. My MIL (to be) is also a flight attendant and she has offered several times for us to fly free if we make any plans to go anywhere and I absolutely would feel bad if I didn't get something as a token of that appreciation for her if we took her up on her offer.

I definitely think you should do something and you know, don't think of it as "omg, I have to get something with the same face value". I think any small token like a gift card to her favorite store would be appropriate.

I'm sure she'd love whatever you do. I'd also include a thank you card and explain how much you really do appreciate it.
Good luck!!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM

396 posts, read 732,126 times
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm also definitely with the "give her a gift" crowd... you aren't "obligated" to do so, but she was not "obligated" to give you the tickets. Honestly, I'm glad to hear that you'd intended to give her something to begin with... good for you!

I love the idea of a photo in a really lovely frame... I'd also be keeping her in mind as you are closing up the house. There may be mementos there of their childhood your aunt isn't even aware still exist which she would probably be very glad to have, so even if you've already given her something at that point, keeping her in mind and offering those items to her would just be the right thing to do.

Another nice idea might be a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant or dinner theater tickets to a live stage production. It may not have cost her anything to give you those tickets, but the "value" of them doesn't rest in the money, it rests in the benefit to YOUR life which resulted from the giving of them. It sounds like the benefit was quite high. If you can figure out how to accomplish it, a dining gift card for the co-worker would not be out of line either.

They made your life so much easier and less stressful during a very trying time... therein lies the value of what you've been given.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss... and I wish you and your family well.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,658,611 times
a hand written card/note and maybe a memento from your mother if you cant afford something. or maybe ask her if she wanted anything that belonged to her sister. give her first dibs. shes been more than generous and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships