Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
My bed always stays unmade but I have a doctor's note. Dust mites love being snuggled up in a humid bed that's been slept in all night. My doc said to kinda unmake the bed, pull the top sheet and blanket down to the foot of the bed to let all the moisture evaporate and let the sheets get to room temperature.
Huh. I wonder what the effect is of shaking all the sheets and covers before making the bed. Dh says it's "shaking the f@rts out", to me it just makes the bed feel fresher. And I guess I'm doomed no matter what, we typically let one of the pupsters sleep with us. Back when I was single and a crazy cat lady, my purries always shared a pillow with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, I never had them on a bed before and sooo wanted them 'cause they look so cool on pics and in the stores. Finally got a set with pillows. Not too many, but they're still a major PITA! Granted, it does look good when the bed is made, but since my bedroom isn't big, there's no other place to put them at night other than the floor...

The same theme goes for many a thing I thought I wanted...
Ever since I hurt my knee, I've been resting it on a pillow when I sleep. At least initially, since I toss and turn a bit when I sleep. Some people sleep with a pillow between their legs for some reason...I don't know why.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Some people sleep with a pillow between their legs for some reason...I don't know why.
If you're a side sleeper it promotes a better alignment of your lower back and spine to your legs. Those of us who've suffered sciatica know whereof we speak

Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Do they HAVE to be in the living room? I must've missed this memo.
Maybe people think if they put books in the living room for everyone to see, it will make them look smarter.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I don't have room in my bedroom for a bookcase....and if I've read a book, I don't need to keep it around to read again. I already know how it ends.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Maybe people think if they put books in the living room for everyone to see, it will make them look smarter.
We had a joke back home about this type of decorators. They go to the bookstore and ask for 1 meter of red books, 1/2 meter of black books, 1 1/2 meters of yellow books, etc.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Man, the family room is where they put built-in bookshelves. We have a couple of pictures up, but we have arranged nice hardbacks (9 or 10 per shelf) laddering up the sides.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. I don't have enough knickknacks to fill it (and I hate them).

Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This is in response to the thread about the guy asking if his posters would be a turnoff for women. Do any men find certain feminine home decorating habits to also be a turnoff? I must admit that I find a number of things that many women do to their homes that strikes me as being something that would be more appropriate for children. For example, collecting teddy bears, dolls, cutesy photos of kittens, and other sentimental drivel is ok if you're twelve years old but not if you're fifty. I hate the frilly pink colored nonsense that adorns the abodes of many adult women. I have a female friend who has spent her life collecting toy pigs and in fact I've even given her a few when I've traveled to different countries and picked some up to add to her collection. This woman is in her late fifties and she considers her collection to be part of her identity. If her house ever caught fire I'm sure that she'd make every effort to save the pig collection before she'd even think of saving anything else.
Ok, so why does it seem normal for an adult woman to obsess about something that's essentially childish but if a man did the same thing and collected the sort of toys that you'd associate with a twelve year old boy he'd be laughed out of town? Just wondering.

I think a grown woman with kitten posters is just as childish and immature as a grown man with posters of half-naked women draped over sports cars or posters for metal bands with skulls and umlauts everywhere.

I am a woman and I will mix florals with stripes and coordinate colors, but my house is not a dollhouse. My master bathroom is powder pink (tiles, tub, sink, toilet, all of it) but that is how it was when I bought the house; it's a vintage 1950s bathroom. I am keeping it that way because it's too expensive to change it and it's in good working order. But if I were building a house from the ground up, I would not install a pink bathroom. Or put frilly lace and doilies everywhere. Or collect little piggies. And I gave my stuffed animals to Goodwill many years ago.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Man, the family room is where they put built-in bookshelves.
I agree that's more common and that's where I've had my books in most places in the past. It just couldn't work this way in this house - there was no room for them there and even if there was, I prefer having my books close to my bedroom, and the bedroom is on the 2nd floor. What ticked me off was the assumption one doesn't own books if they're not displayed for visitors to see.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I agree that's more common and that's where I've had my books in most places in the past. It just couldn't work this way in this house - there was no room for them there and even if there was, I prefer having my books close to my bedroom, and the bedroom is on the 2nd floor. What ticked me off was the assumption one doesn't own books if they're not displayed for visitors to see.
I don't assume that; other peoples' reading habits aren't a particular concern of mine. And some people still use public libraries.

Books are expensive and take up a lot of space and are a pain in the butt to move from house to house or apt to apt. I am getting a Kindle soon and that will put an end to most of my physical book-buying. Will I care if people think I don't have enough books in my house? Hell no. I enjoy reading and I also don't want to devote half of my home's small square footage to storing books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships