Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:04 PM

197 posts, read 378,670 times

Advertisements

Straight to the point, you realize at some point in life you will most likely never find some one who is perfect for you, maybe really good, but not perfect. So, my question is, at what point, if at all, do you have to consider that a relationship won't work because the differences are to great, you may be in love, but will your relationship make is through marriage. As far as how to quantify "differences" i'm not sure, but while my girlfriend and i are similar, we still have a lot of differences. At this point i've really stopped worrying, but i'm just looking for some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
Straight to the point, you realize at some point in life you will most likely never find some one who is perfect for you, maybe really good, but not perfect. So, my question is, at what point, if at all, do you have to consider that a relationship won't work because the differences are to great, you may be in love, but will your relationship make is through marriage. As far as how to quantify "differences" i'm not sure, but while my girlfriend and i are similar, we still have a lot of differences. At this point i've really stopped worrying, but i'm just looking for some opinions.
Well, I don't believe anybody can find a clone of him/herself and I'm not sure it's a good thing even if it were possible.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:16 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:

Well, yes, couples "work things out" every day.
Of course you can really "work things out".
But no matter how adept you are at working out your differences, there may come a time when one partner simply no longer loves the other partner anymore, and in that instance, no. The relationship can't be salvaged.
You'll only break your heart trying.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Differences are fine as long as you can accept them and they don't take from the quality of your relationship. If it doesn't feel good, it's not good.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If it doesn't feel good, it's not good.
Exactly! It's the best indicator. The person may be perfectly OK on paper, in the eyes of others, etc., but if s/he doesn't do it for you, it's not right for you.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 AM

8 posts, read 25,057 times
Default Working things out

I guess it would depend on the relationship and situation but for me personally trying to work things out was not an option. He is a Domestic Violence abuser, has a criminal record for it and I'm safe and living normally with my 7 year old son for the last 8 months now. Any normal guy that saw me and my son would want to be with us and take care of us etc but not my ex. We were not not enough, he kept telling so many lies, got himself sacked 4 times from jobs cause he could not do them and lied, hurt me lots of times, hurt my son, I could not allow that to continue, I had to be strong, get my son away from it or he would turn out just like him and no way was I gonna watch my son do that to others. It's been a huge tough journey because I was totally in love with my ex, but I've learned through the Domestic Violence Police unit, solicitors, support network that he was a Predator and he cannot be normal and have a proper relationship cause of his aggression and violence. He was a crazy person on the roads in his car also. What I learned with DV cases the majority just can't be worked out cause too dangerous.

I know there are plenty of kind, caring, normal guys out there who want a pretty woman to share their lives with so one day soon I'll meet one but my son and our dogs and cats come also.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
At a glance? I'd say you weren't "in love" then.

If you both feel it and can express it in any adult fashion, one will sacrifice some of what's needed for the relationship to work in the long term.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:07 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
If you dont think the relationship will work out, then don't try to force it. Yes you can work things out when there is much love, but you don't seem to feel it ,otherwise you would not want to let go .

Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Well, yes, couples "work things out" every day.
Of course you can really "work things out".
But no matter how adept you are at working out your differences, there may come a time when one partner simply no longer loves the other partner anymore, and in that instance, no. The relationship can't be salvaged.
You'll only break your heart trying.
Question: Can you really just not love your partner anymore? Has that happened to anyone? I fear it's happening to me.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM

197 posts, read 378,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
Question: Can you really just not love your partner anymore? Has that happened to anyone? I fear it's happening to me.
.... unfortunately.. people are extremely unpredictable, and i don't believe in it. I feel that once you love some one thats it, it shouldn't just fade or you weren't really in love. Yes, though, it happened to me, with what i thought was the love of my life, but i was just young and confused, so despite all the horrible things that i went through, i just ended up being better.

For my post, i was speaking from the beginning of my relationship, in which we are pretty different people, but we have a lot in common its just little things we find every day. I mean, sometimes i still worry, that we are just to different, or don't see eye to eye on enough things. However, i find myself changing so quickly, or i should say we are molding to each other so quickly, its really crazy. Its not like it forced ether, it just seems to happen.

So, for my original question, i was just looking for opinions and person experience, if there is a certain point, even if its fairly small, that the differences are just to much to work out. Thanks everyone, hope to hear more views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships