Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,092 times

Advertisements

I'm filthy rich, have hot women all over me, never gave a nickel to charity, think the floods in Pakistan is God's will. Don't hate me because I'm rich. I made it the old fashioned way - through questionable means until they made it illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 PM

53 posts, read 55,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if she is as rich as you she has to lose as much as you, good move.
As the AFLAC duck might say... huh And they give you money, which is as good as cash.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if you hadn't been attracted to her to begin with, would her qualities as a successful woman change your mind?
I wasn't that attracted to her to begin with, If I was it was pretty minor.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default Successful is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Met a young lady recently, then later down the track learnt what she earnt, which is large by most peoples standards. Have to say how I saw her after that was in different and improved light.

Which got me thinking, my attraction to her didn't increase b/c I saw $$$ signs if we are ever an item. It is simply because she is successful, which I find sexy. I guess the term golddigger is someone who chases someone to get a share of their money.

But there is a fine line and it shouldn't be confused with when someone's attraction increases to someone because they are successful. I'm sure alot of people find successful people a turn on.
So, in your mind successful people are sexy? Are you sure you used the right word this time? I find successful people to be those who have 'made it in life', are happy and relatively free from want. I view myself as successful, I loved my work, I've been able to have just about anything I've really wanted. I've never had a desire to be what some people call rich. I'm damn sure not what I would call sexy. I think what you really mean is "successful people are more desirable".

Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
So, in your mind successful people are sexy? Are you sure you used the right word this time? I find successful people to be those who have 'made it in life', are happy and relatively free from want. I view myself as successful, I loved my work, I've been able to have just about anything I've really wanted. I've never had a desire to be what some people call rich. I'm damn sure not what I would call sexy. I think what you really mean is "successful people are more desirable".
Yep, fair call

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The fallacy in this argument? Poor people step on people and exploit others as well, and can also be guilty of being self-centered and greedy.

I've known wealthy people who would give you the shirt off their backs, and I've known poorer souls who would sell their grandmothers to the Hottentots for $200. The amount of money a money has is not a measurement of character any more than the color of his eyes.
Please. I lived in the Washington, D.C. area for 23 years amid the powerful. Then I worked for a financial firm in the New York area amid the extremely wealthy. The powerful, I got used to. The extremely wealthy made me sick.

From all I've seen, there are kind, generous people in all walks of life, but there are disproportionately fewer among the $250K+ set, with the scales tipping heavily toward the selfish and the "I got mine and to heck with you" crowd.

No thanks. There's a reason you don't see any shows called "Real Housewives of the AFL-CIO."

As for me, I prefer to define success by what I give and the kind of people my friends are, not what I get and "who I know," which is why I work with non-profits, am choosy about who I pal around with, and like what I see when I look in the mirror.

P.S. There are a lot of miserable wealthy people in this world. Why? Because they [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-in-world/201008/when-you-dont-yourself"]get their self-esteem from their "success,"[/URL] not their character.

Last edited by Yzette; 08-19-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, my response was to the bizarre generalization that people who have become financially successful are that way because they can't possibly have earned it through hard work and diligence. That kind of mentality smacks of sour grapes and is really unflattering to the person who thinks it. Hence my remark that you've quoted.

And as to your bosses, I would say this. Over the long haul, the people who get to those positions by dumb luck or just connections never last. Yeah, they're given a shot...but when times get tough, those are the ones that get swept aside like so many cobwebs. Their success is ephemeral.

Unless, of course, you're talking about government workers. I'm amazed, in my dealings with government, how some of these people have lasted in positions of power and responsibility. That would be my exception.

Let me put it to you in the form of a hypothetical question. Let's say two men are interested in you. Both are equally attractive. Both have good hearts, great senses of humor, give of themselves to others, are honest, etc. etc. One is unambitious in life, while the other one is a self-starter who has financial security. All other things being equal, who gets the nod?[/quote]
Of course the one who has financial security.
I guess I'm just opposing the idea that money always = success and success is = money = intelligence.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
i feel i am sucessful,sexy...whatever...but when it comes to finding someone the same way its very very hard

Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
[quote=max's mama;15550819]
Quote:

Of course the one who has financial security.
I guess I'm just opposing the idea that money always = success and success is = money = intelligence.
And I didn't say that. I simply said that a lot of the attributes that help make someone successful are also the same attributes that help make someone attractive. I just don't think that's much of a stretch.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Please. I lived in the Washington, D.C. area for 23 years amid the powerful. Then I worked for a financial firm in the New York area amid the extremely wealthy. The powerful, I got used to. The extremely wealthy made me sick.

From all I've seen, there are kind, generous people in all walks of life, but there are disproportionately fewer among the $250K+ set, with the scales tipping heavily toward the selfish and the "I got mine and to heck with you" crowd.

No thanks. There's a reason you don't see any shows called "Real Housewives of the AFL-CIO."

As for me, I prefer to define success by what I give and the kind of people my friends are, not what I get and "who I know," which is why I work with non-profits, am choosy about who I pal around with, and like what I see when I look in the mirror.

P.S. There are a lot of miserable wealthy people in this world. Why? Because they get their self-esteem from their "success," not their character.
Shucks. Have you viewed the broad cross-section of reality TV? Shows such as "White Trash Wedding" abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships