Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm thinking of my step-father. He walks around like a pea-**** in full feathered bloom. The typical alpha male persona. In reality, he doesn't have a pot to **** in. He's not educated. He never had a career. And he's lucky that my mother has always had her financial crap together. None of that makes any difference to him. He struts and people do react to that. It doesn't make him a leader, tho. It doesn't make him particularly strong. And like most that are of that personality, he opted for the big fish in a small pond scene. It's very illusory from where I sit.

i had to look that word up, but i definitely agree with you, his situation sounds very "illusory," he maintains his posturing because there's not enough of a crowd there to cast him as a non-leader (follower or misfit.)

i think when you're young (in school), that's when this dynamic is very clear, and is easy to generalize. Male social groups almost always have an "alpha", complete with male followers, and females instinctively respond to whomever that leader is. That's why I say, not being a leader does have consequences, mainly for young single men. I can't say it matters too much in the nursing home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,380,894 times
Quote:
Again, my step-father's example fits here. It really makes no difference to him what society thinks. Just as it would make no difference to you if you typed out your resume and life achievements and I let you know that you're a not a leader.
Nobody should care what society thinks. But leadership skills are more than academia or the workplace. look at friendship groups, there are some leaders and followers. it's how human society works.

Quote:
According to whom, what? If a person doesn't have that ability, suffering (and failure) probably results. No?
Confidence by definition is self-worth, and subsequently the ability to be assured and take failure on the chin.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
It's because confidence is not taught again. PC society and pop culture have ruined it in most men.

And most men in the end have false/superficial confidence, due to the PC society.
Confidence isn't taught. It's something you find within yourself based on any number of things you like about yourself (looks, intelligence, athletic skill, etc.). And if it's genuine confidence, it withstands whatever messages society and pop culture send.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'll do that, while you and DennyCrane brush up on your reading comp. I took y'all off ignore because I thought you could have an honest discussion like big boys and girls, instead of this tactic where you misrepresent what the other person says, each time.

Frankly I can't even imagine how you came up with all this specific crap based on the vague sentence or two that I stated.
The problem isn't with our reading comprehension skills. The problem is your statements which, when someone calls you out on, you retreat from and/or try to change the meaning of. If you were truly interested in having an honest discussion like you claim, you wouldn't need to put your critics on ignore.

Quote:
my experience is that as a man, the opposite sex sizes you up by how other people (third parties) react to you, whether you're a leader, follower, or on doing your own thing on the sidelines. all other factors equal, the ability to command the will of others seems to be something that women find very sexy in a man, and if he's a happy, good man "on the inside," that is just icing on the cake.
Then your experience hasn't served you well. Maybe in high school, people size you up based on what third parties think of you. But in the real world, people can evaluate people on their own merits without having to take into account what a bunch of other people (whose opinion may or may not matter to me) think. Women aren't looking for men who have the ability to command the will of others. They're looking for a man who's his own man, even if that means a follower or living on the sidelines.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
damn, denny did i forget to put you back on ignore? lemme fix that real quick.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Confidence isn't taught. It's something you find within yourself based on any number of things you like about yourself (looks, intelligence, athletic skill, etc.). And if it's genuine confidence, it withstands whatever messages society and pop culture send.
Confidence is taught. You even suggest it is. Confidence comes from self-acceptance, and any mental/emotional trait can be improved upon.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
It's not self-perception, but a fact of human society and existence.

According to whom? Confidence is the ability to overcome things and be strong.
Be careful with confidence. It can often blind you to reality. Being confidant without stopping to ask yourself 'what if I am wrong?' continually is simply arrogance.

Also, another trait of a true leader (which is essentially the definition of an 'alpha man') is the ability to put pride aside for the good of the group.

Answer this: would you let someone else take the credit (for something you did) if you knew that was the only way for the goal of a group to be accomplished?

If you answer yes then you are a true 'alpha', if not you are simply arrogant.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
i had to look that word up, but i definitely agree with you, his situation sounds very "illusory," he maintains his posturing because there's not enough of a crowd there to cast him as a non-leader (follower or misfit.)
I see similar on the net, which is why it tends to read silly to me.

Quote:
i think when you're young (in school), that's when this dynamic is very clear, and is easy to generalize. Male social groups almost always have an "alpha", complete with male followers, and females instinctively respond to whomever that leader is. That's why I say, not being a leader does have consequences, mainly for young single men. I can't say it matters too much in the nursing home.
I agree when it comes to school settings, especially in grade and high school. From what I've noticed, as I've gotten older, it's a dimmed mentality. Folk I know are just too busy living their lives to worry about posturing. But, I suppose to young folk trying to find mates it's more of an issue. So, I guess it's a matter of perspective and current position in life.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Nobody should care what society thinks. But leadership skills are more than academia or the workplace. look at friendship groups, there are some leaders and followers. it's how human society works.
Well, says you. Not everyone would agree with you, and that's my point really. As far as friendship groups go, eh, I don't really notice it. But, I'm in my 30s and that might be playing a role.

Quote:
Confidence by definition is self-worth, and subsequently the ability to be assured and take failure on the chin.
That makes sense to me. I fail to see the gender distinction, tho.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Well, says you. Not everyone would agree with you, and that's my point really. As far as friendship groups go, eh, I don't really notice it. But, I'm in my 30s and that might be playing a role.

That makes sense to me. I fail to see the gender distinction, tho.
I don't think merely holding a tertiary qualification means much, apart from earning more money (another shallow point, is there was one) and holding higher organisational positions. Most educated people I know don't use their intelligence for daily living, so clearly how "intelligent" are these people really. An educated person only leads in these spheres at best.

And regarding confidence, I reckon that men in general should lead and be bold. Again, there is nothing wrong in gender behavioural differences, despite what society says.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I don't think merely holding a tertiary qualification means much, apart from earning more money (another shallow point, is there was one) and holding higher organisational positions. Most educated people I know don't use their intelligence for daily living, so clearly how "intelligent" are these people really. An educated person only leads in these spheres at best.
Whatever the qualifiers are isn't relevant. The distinction is that not everyone is going to agree. You will still feel that you are alpha regardless of my opinion or the opinions of academics. They have their own criteria. Everybody has their own criteria. And since this is the case, and nobody can draw the proverbial line in the sand as to what actually constitutes a leader, outside the POTUS I suppose (for the US), then it all seems pretty subjective to me.

Quote:
And regarding confidence, I reckon that men in general should lead and be bold. Again, there is nothing wrong in gender behavioural differences, despite what society says.
Well, you're not addressing anything in particular here. Lead what and how is the boldness expressed? Again, those answers are going to vary depending on who you ask. Again, I'm not seeing the gender distinctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships