Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Real Alpha Males don't have to declare it to everyone. That is like Michael Jordan coming out and saying he is the greatest basketball player ever. He would never say that because he doesn't have to. Everyone else says it for him.

Real Alpha men put their noses to the grind and handle their business for their families. They don't worry about what others are saying. If it means changing diapers, working overtime, fixing a leak, rubbing his wife's feet when she gets home, helping with homework, or giving orders. Whatever his family needs to prosper, he observes it and does his best to help deliver.

Real Alpha men are NOT a dying breed. Like most truly valuable things in our society they are not in your face. You have to look a little deeper. Their impact is seen in the people who love and depend on them.
Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Why are they silly constructs? Male psychology and society is based on a sense of feeling dominant. In humans, we have leaders and followers by nature.
Because an alpha male gorilla or wolf is not the same thing as an "alpha male" human. It's not a synonym for "leader" or "dominant man." Human beings in general don't live in packs or exhibit the same hierarchy. Yes, you might say so about gangs, which do fight to the death over territory and sex, but most humans do not live in gangs. We typically pair bond, which is not something that occurs in packs. Alpha male, when applied to humans, typically means, "haz sex wif all teh wimminz." It's not about territory or survival; it's just jealous posturing about how some other dudes get all the sex and it's SO NOT FAIR.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Because an alpha male gorilla or wolf is not the same thing as an "alpha male" human. It's not a synonym for "leader" or "dominant man." Human beings in general don't live in packs or exhibit the same hierarchy. Yes, you might say so about gangs, which do fight to the death over territory and sex, but most humans do not live in gangs. We typically pair bond, which is not something that occurs in packs. Alpha male, when applied to humans, typically means, "haz sex wif all teh wimminz." It's not about territory or survival; it's just jealous posturing about how some other dudes get all the sex and it's SO NOT FAIR.
Of course, humans are more complex than other social mammals. But hierarchy does exist in our species even if it's not the same at all as in the great apes or wolves.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Of course, humans are more complex than other social mammals. But hierarchy does exist in our species even if it's not the same at all as in the great apes or wolves.
What's considered alpha seems to vary depending on who you are talking to. There plenty of men that perceive themselves as alphas regardless of the opinions of those (the pack, society, community) around them. What's the difference when folk self-perceive how they see fit? I'd be surprised to find most men admit they are followers or they reside in the lower end of the hierarchy totem pole even tho they might fit that definition. So, the male psyche here is 99% leaders/chiefs/etc and 1% followers/betas/etc. It's pretty nonsensical.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The prison industry is really going strong. Prisons are full of alpha males. So no, I don't think they are a dying breed.
Again, those "men" in prision aren't alpha males. A REAL alpha man would never end up in prison, unless he was convicted of murdering his wife's rapist, or some other scumbag who had hurt his family.

Read CaliDude's post above (#69) to understand what a real alpha man is

Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
betamanlet is going to come up with another thread very soon as this one seems to have run its course ... what next as in same old same old from him who never learns. Sigh. Poor misogynist betamanlet!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
betamanlet is going to come up with another thread very soon as this one seems to have run its course ... what next as in same old same old from him who never learns. Sigh. Poor misogynist betamanlet!
Sadly, you can only LEAD a horse to water...

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I'm not the least bit interested in a hairy chested, sports playing, beer swiling bloke and what I'd consider to be more an oaf than an alpha male.

My dad was an alpha male and my husband who died was an even more intense one, had to be to keep up with me. Both were tough as nails in that they were mentally rigorous, morally straight, physically strong, and spiritually deep. Both were kind, fair, compassionate, loyal, romantic, good listeners, worldly, and impecably dressed. Both fauned over babies, were great cooks, and kept their affairs and homes squared away including doing housework, stood tall in the face of dangers that others ran from, took care of those around them, and protected the innocent. That is what I call an alpha male.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
great posts. there you have it. real men go to jail.lift weights and have lots of tattoos.
i guess that leaves me out.
comeon pee wee herman lets go for our bike ride.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What's considered alpha seems to vary depending on who you are talking to. There plenty of men that perceive themselves as alphas regardless of the opinions of those (the pack, society, community) around them. What's the difference when folk self-perceive how they see fit? I'd be surprised to find most men admit they are followers or they reside in the lower end of the hierarchy totem pole even tho they might fit that definition. So, the male psyche here is 99% leaders/chiefs/etc and 1% followers/betas/etc. It's pretty nonsensical.
Alpha males are those of us who lead, or are seen as leaders, and have the confidence of leaders. Strength and confidence are male traits, despite what contemporary society says about there being no gender roles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships