Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:42 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
We're DINKS & while the previously mentioned perks of not having kids are great, the biggest single factor for this decision was (drumroll)............................ I have absolutely no interest in raising kids, never have, never will. The wife feels the same.
Sounds like you and your wife are one of those "wired" CF couples. Sometimes I have to wonder if there isn't a genetic component going on (which I would consider an "excellent gene" ). My mate and I come from families who are mass producers - from choice. I'm talking about siblings and members of succeeding generations who have at least five kids. Dh and I are observed with a lot of head scratching from those folks. "You don't want kids - really? Why not? They're great." Dh and I merely say "not interested. not gonna happen." Which they just don't seem to get.

Melissa made a post upthread about the pressure - my mate is a Midwesterner; I was raised in the Midwest and south. If it's not corn fed family values being pressed on us, it's Bible thumping "be fruitful and multiply!" nonsense. To each, Dh and I shrugged and said "nope. not interested." It's hard to even get a spirited argument out of us about the issue, we have such a disinterest in the subject, though I'm more the one who will blow up like a puffer fish, spread my arms wide and say "would you just STF-U about that! It ain't gonna happen! A . I . N apostrophe T ! " if the person refuses to lay off. At such a display, the person will usually back off saying "whoa. I guess it's a good thing you aren't going to have kids, with that temper." My reply being "I guess so. I hate having to deal with dunderheads who refuse to understand a clear statement when it's been repeated three times."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 AM

326 posts, read 838,085 times
Thats great OP!! I wish more people felt the same as you!! This planet is overpopulated enough as it is! As long as you know what makes you happy! There are so many unhappy resentful parents out there!

I could never do it though, my whole world revolves around my child!

I have never heard of DINKS or OINKS!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
Thats great OP!! I wish more people felt the same as you!! This planet is overpopulated enough as it is! As long as you know what makes you happy! There are so many unhappy resentful parents out there!

I got the term-"DINK" from a article in the Philadelphia Daily News about 6 years ago

Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Melissa made a post upthread about the pressure - my mate is a Midwesterner; I was raised in the Midwest and south. If it's not corn fed family values being pressed on us, it's Bible thumping "be fruitful and multiply!" nonsense.
I think that people who live in certain regions and smaller, more conservative cities probably feel more pressure than those living in large, progressive cities like Austin, San Francisco, NYC, or Seattle. Singles and couples who opt out of parenting are not a rare breed where I live. Similarly, I tend to see more couples who put more effort into the family-planning process who only have one child. I know very few couples who have more than two children.

I feel no societal pressure from my neighborhood and community. My friends and family, who live in more conservative cities and tiny religious-minded 'burbs, are another story. I cannot imagine living in my old hometown and being without a child; I'd be considered a freak. People there can't wrap their minds around the whole concept of choice and individual expression. A girl I knew from school was quite adamant about not having kids. She married a like-minded man, and lemme tell you, the whole community was shocked and confused.

Also, there's just very little to do in some of these towns that isn't family-oriented, making it even more of a bummer. A married couple might do okay, because they have each other. However, singles will have it a lot worse.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post

Don't really like the terms myself but oink=one income no kids. Especially nice if you are a well rounded individual with a really good income.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I got the term-"DINK" from a article in the Philadelphia Daily News about 6 years ago
fwiw - the majority of DINKS are gay couples - just sayin'

Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Wouldn't you have to secure an Income, for yourself, first? Or did I miss something? You are now gainfully employed in a career??

Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
fwiw - the majority of DINKS are gay couples - just sayin'
Jay Leno and his wife are in the Dink category

Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Jay Leno and his wife are in the Dink category
honey, did you MISS the word "majority" in my post? You really need to do something about your reading skills............

Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
honey, did you MISS the word "majority" in my post? You really need to do something about your reading skills............
Hey Opolope, don't hate on me just be cool with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships