Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

But what if it's NOT a date?

What if it is very specifically not a date, two people are just meeting up over dinner or something? Does it really matter who pays?

I mean, consider the situation where you're meeting someone who isn't of the gender you're attracted to. (I know, that's a long way of saying it, right?)

I met an old friend of mine for lunch when I was visiting Chicago. I'm male, he's male--it is definitely NOT a date, you know? He offered to pick up the check, and I let him. The previous day, I met a new friend for dinner--and I let HER pick up the check too. Both times, it was NOT a date. Am I likely obligated to visit with them again in the future and pick up the check the next time? Should I have struggled harder over who pays the check?

I honestly don't know how these social things are supposed to work. I do understand that if it was an actual date, then I should have paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

What if it is very specifically not a date, two people are just meeting up over dinner or something? Does it really matter who pays?

I mean, consider the situation where you're meeting someone who isn't of the gender you're attracted to. (I know, that's a long way of saying it, right?)

I met an old friend of mine for lunch when I was visiting Chicago. I'm male, he's male--it is definitely NOT a date, you know? He offered to pick up the check, and I let him. The previous day, I met a new friend for dinner--and I let HER pick up the check too. Both times, it was NOT a date. Am I likely obligated to visit with them again in the future and pick up the check the next time? Should I have struggled harder over who pays the check?

I honestly don't know how these social things are supposed to work. I do understand that if it was an actual date, then I should have paid.

Don't stress over it - just remember to reciprocate the next time you are with the two friends that treated you this time

Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:

It's a fair question especially if you're not well versed on this kind of subject. If someone offers to get the check, yes you should put up a little fight, ask if they are sure, say "well, at least let me pay for my half" kind of thing. If they insist a second time, let it go.

For me yes, if someone insists on picking up the tab, then next time I feel it's my duty to get it.

You technically (in my opinion) owe two people lunch LOL Next time you guys get together, at least make the effort. Just grab the check and say "I've got this" and then if no argument, same thing - you pay.

Make sense??

Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Taking turns in picking up the tab seems to me the most appropriate thing to do most times, even on a date... But since some people would rather keep it traditional (which is nice), doesn't the man usually pay even if it's not a date? (Just wondering)

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,172 times
Quote:

While I wouldn't say you're obligated to hunt them down and invite them to dinner, I'd say that if you should go out to eat with them again, you pay the whole thing, and say "You got the last time, it's my turn". Otherwise you risk being thought either a clod or a mooch.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Taking turns in picking up the tab seems to me the most appropriate thing to do most times, even on a date... But since some people would rather keep it traditional (which is nice), doesn't the man usually pay even if it's not a date? (Just wondering)
No. If it's not a date that a man has specifically asked to take you on, don't expect him to pay for your lunch any more than you would expect a female friend to pay for your lunch.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Proper protocol is that whoever asks the person out on the date pays. Usually, this is the man, if he's meeting with someone with whom he may be attracted to. It's considered poor form to ask someone out to dinner and then expect them to pick up the tab or split the ticket, unless it's agreed on.

I learned the hard way with the guys on Match who invited me to expensive restaurants I'd normally not go to only to find myself paying for a $40 meal. To me, this shows a lack of regard for the person and their financial situation.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Proper protocol is that whoever asks the person out on the date pays. Usually, this is the man, if he's meeting with someone with whom he may be attracted to. It's considered poor form to ask someone out to dinner and then expect them to pick up the tab or split the ticket, unless it's agreed on.

I learned the hard way with the guys on Match who invited me to expensive restaurants I'd normally not go to only to find myself paying for a $40 meal. To me, this shows a lack of regard for the person and their financial situation.
But the OP said specifically that it wasn't a date. Protocol would be different, then, no?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Well...I was visiting from out of state--so maybe that's the reason they offered to pick up the check.

I'm not really a traveler by nature--but since there were people I wanted to see that I didn't get to, and things and places I wanted to see that I didn't get to (time constraints), it is likely that I'll make an annual trip from here on out. Tried to visit people in two states in the same week--I think from now on, I'll alternate states.

So perhaps I'll be able to get together with these same people again, since they made an effort to be available for me to see them, and I can't say that for all the people that said they would like to do so, but didn't make any real effort to set anything up.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:
Well...I was visiting from out of state--so maybe that's the reason they offered to pick up the check.

I'm not really a traveler by nature--but since there were people I wanted to see that I didn't get to, and things and places I wanted to see that I didn't get to (time constraints), it is likely that I'll make an annual trip from here on out. Tried to visit people in two states in the same week--I think from now on, I'll alternate states.

So perhaps I'll be able to get together with these same people again, since they made an effort to be available for me to see them, and I can't say that for all the people that said they would like to do so, but didn't make any real effort to set anything up.

I'm sure that since you were visiting, they made a nice gesture by picking up lunch. So, hey, if they visit you - you show them a good time and take them to lunch. Right?

We need to get you out more often LOL i think your recent travel experiences have been good but I think you need more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships