Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times

Advertisements

Marriages fail at a higher rate for those you marry younger. However, I think it may be good to marry young and procreate, so that when you do get divorced (as many - if not most - will!), you'll still be young enough to enjoy another relationship, but old enough to - hopefully - choose more wisely based on past experiences. My opinion may be a little cynical, but it is informed by (statistical) reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM

499 posts, read 891,860 times
yes. i'm 22 and if it could be,i would marry my boyfriend immediately some young people are more mature in their lives. my boyfriend tells me that my behaviors are like a child but my thoughts are very mature.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoowhoo View Post
ymy boyfriend tells me that my behaviors are like a child but my thoughts are very mature.

pssstt... if your thoughts are like a childs... youre not ready for marriage. just sayin'

Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM

499 posts, read 891,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
pssstt... if your thoughts are like a childs... youre not ready for marriage. just sayin'
lol noo, my boyfriend is telling the truth

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
By young, I mean under 25. Someone suggested that it's a bad idea and younger marriages do contribute to the 60% divorce rate. Many people say age is just a number. Many are marrying young before they turn 20.
Speaking for myself and my wife we got married when I was 19 and she was 18. We have been married 37 years now.
I personally think that our generation was different in attitudes and views on marriage than when we got married. I will say as our parents in our generation said about us that we were too young to get married. However, I do believe the present generation young men and women as a group are not as mature as our generation was at that age level. Even in these forums we have seen discussion of 25+ adults still living with mom and dad because they cannot make it. In my generation I believe we had the attitude that we needed to be out of the house and find a way to make it whether to go to college or simply to work, take care.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
One should be circumspect about marriage until they've been out of school for five years (The obvious exception is medical school where, hell, your training could last until you're 35).

Why? Because you'll change more in those five years than you will for the rest of your life. Your attitudes, friends, tastes, work habits, and a host of other things will likely be markedly different by the time your 5th year class reunion rolls around. Because dating someone in college is easy. The biggest challenge when you're in school is finding the beer-and-pizza money. It's only when you get out into the Real World that you discover what you're really made of and, by extension, your significant other. What happens if you marry immediately after graduation and your SO grows in a completely different direction?

Case in point? The summer after my graduation from college, I attended 13 weddings. I mean, there were some Saturdays where I gave my regards at one reception and drove to the next wedding. Today, of those 13 marriages, only one survives. And they're not doing so hot.

That's not to say that you can't get married at 18 and have the marriage last. And that's not to say that marrying after 30 is a guarantor of marital happiness. I'm just saying that the statistics don't lie. And for all those 20-, 21-, and 23-year olds who are reading this and snorting, "What does he know? I've got it all figured out!" No you don't.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-28-2011 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Has there been any conclusive studies to indicated which age group or demograpic has the longest marrriage or which once is most doomed to failure? There is a lot of conjecture and speculation... Any data to indicate what where and why?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
All under 30 weddings are doomed

Under 25 is plain idiocy.
I completely agree. Most people I know who married young are now divorced. They got swept up in the romance of it all.

Check out the celebs who married young – Ryan and Reese, Jessica and Nick, Avril and Derek, Ashlee and Pete… all kaput.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I completely agree. Most people I know who married young are now divorced. They got swept up in the romance of it all.

Check out the celebs who married young – Ryan and Reese, Jessica and Nick, Avril and Derek, Ashlee and Pete… all kaput.
Except for jessica and little nick I thought they were all in their mid or late 20s.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post

I don't think you can compare a private, marital relationship's success or failure to that of a celebrity couple and their very public, marital relationship. I'm sure some of the publicity comes into play in those instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships