Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There is young and then there is immature. Young people can be young and all is good as long as they have the maturity level to handle the relationship.

Then there are guys like my buddy who's in his 50's and on his 8th marriage. Never quite matured past about the 10th grade and age means nothing.

Luckily for him he has the money to make big mistakes.
I completely agree that maturity is not necessarily something someone gains with age, although I think it is generally more true than not. Some 20 year olds have their head on straight and know where they are going whereas some are at the same level as they were in their 20's many years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
I've never wanted to settle down until recently. I think it was just instinct that kicked in when I was ready. I always assumed I would be single/dating, but never married.

Too many people rush it because they think it's what they're supposed to do. Women especially are bad about wanting to catch a man because all their friends have. It's hard being the single fish out there.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:42 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
I don't see a problem. Sure wasn't the same person at 21 as I was at 28. But I wasn't the same person at 28 as I was at 35 either....ETC.

I don't think the odds of divorce go up or down significantly, I think there is only less chance if you wait because older people aren't as anxious to put themselves back on the market and may have significantly more financial and familial obligations that would suffer, not that their marriages are any better.

I married at 23, and my daughter is now 24 and I'm hoping she marries her bf by age 26.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
By young, I mean under 25. Someone suggested that it's a bad idea and younger marriages do contribute to the 60% divorce rate. Many people say age is just a number. Many are marrying young before they turn 20.
My wife and I have been together for 38 years, and both teenagers when we tied the knot.

No problem for us at all, met the right person and off we went. Haven't looked back with any regret (I believe I speak for her here too, but she just hates posting boards).

Financially, we had nothing when we got together, and have done pretty well as a couple. No my/your money issue at all.

It is all our money.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:23 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
It works for some but I'd say wait until 25 at least. People change a lot between 18 and 25.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
See? When we go out with women, we're not with them for the money. It's nit what we do. But I don't care if she makes her own money, as long as she doesn't ask me for any, the money I worked hard to get.
When someone makes statements like this, I picture them asking their employed wife for a little beer money. I suspect someday you'll be the one begging for a raise in the weekly allowance she gives you.

When you do ask, you'll have your pride (or manhood) in your back pocket.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,848 times
Quote:
See? When we go out with women, we're not with them for the money. It's nit what we do. But I don't care if she makes her own money, as long as she doesn't ask me for any, the money I worked hard to get.

So in other words, I would never marry a woman simply for money.

It is pretty obvious why you are not in a relationship. I hope you and the little money you have will be very happy together. Also, I don't think you should marry young, if at all.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Age isn't a factor I consider when it comes to marriage. There are pros and cons to marrying young, old or somewhere in between.

What should be considered, above all else, is the mental maturity of the partners.
Exactly. Some of the happiest married people I know got married at 18 or 19. For some it was the right thing, they married someone from the same high school, someone from their neighborhood - their peers. They have very similar backgrounds and it just works. Others get restless and want out so they can have the great life of singles bars and one night stands.

Some people don't marry until over 30 but it's difficult because by then they tend to meet people who grew up in other cities, both were used to being single and carefree and their marriages don't seem too good.

But there are those who just waited a very long time to meet the right one and either got it right or were so tired of being single that they are happy.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My wife and I have been together for 38 years, and both teenagers when we tied the knot.

No problem for us at all, met the right person and off we went. Haven't looked back with any regret (I believe I speak for her here too, but she just hates posting boards).

Financially, we had nothing when we got together, and have done pretty well as a couple. No my/your money issue at all.

It is all our money.
I think it's much more common with those who married quite young to pool their money like that and view it as "our money" not the his and her money.

It would be hard to be used to working and earning your own money and spending it however you pleased, no one to answer to - to suddenly change.

It's easier to give up control over your separate life, your own checking and savings account, if you never had it.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's much more common with those who married quite young to pool their money like that and view it as "our money" not the his and her money.

It would be hard to be used to working and earning your own money and spending it however you pleased, no one to answer to - to suddenly change.

It's easier to give up control over your separate life, your own checking and savings account, if you never had it.
Every couple I've ever known who kept separate accounts and did not pool their money has either ended in divorce or is just EXTREMELY unhappy.

Trying to have "his" money or "her" money kind of defeats the purpose of the unity of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships