Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times

Advertisements

I have always fantasized about being a hermit, as a child I have fond memories of spending many hours alone which can be quite a chore growing up in a two bed room house with eleven people. I guess its more of a luxury than fantasy these days. I don't mind people ,I don't have to have them around all the time. You might be the kind of person who likes to meet strangers, Its always exciting learning new stuff about them, who they are, what they do, and then they go away and you don't have to see them again. that's the part I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
I recognize your handle, but I don't remember much about your posts so I'm just going to go by what you've said here. It sounds like you've reached your limit of being the punching bag. Nothing wrong with that. Some people go their whole lives without realizing they are worth more and that being alone doesn't mean you have to be lonely.

Just make sure you are actually having this "epiphany" and not isolating yourself as some kind of defense mechanism. The mind is a powerful thing. You can convince yourself for a while and still find yourself in yet another toxic relationship. I hope this isn't the case. And I hope you find all the happiness your pea-pickin' lil' heart can stand, alone and with someone else.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
They were all nice, but it was like I would have rather been at home reading a book or on City Data LOL.
Funny, I've felt the same way many times when I've made attempts at socializing. You're too young to be in this stage, though...

Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
It's kind of like people trying not to be shy anymore (I used to be extremely shy). Being shy is not a disease! Honestly, extroverts need to shut their damn mouths most of the time anyway imo. Just start to observe and listen to people and things around you instead of always having the need to chat.
I agree extroverts need to shut the f up.

I don't know why I can understand them but for some strange reason extroverts can't seem to understand others. They look at introverts like they have some kind of disease. LOL I don't get it.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,037 times
Default Having the "I Want to be Alone" Epiphany

In between relationships in my life I had my alone time and enjoyed it very much. Just me and my children. Now being married I still need my alone time, so does my husband and son. We all respect each others privacy. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be alone. Good luck in your new job, apartment and exploring San Diego on your own.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Being able to truly enjoy one's own company is key to individual happiness

Whether or not you are joined on your journey thru life by a partner should in no way diminish the joy you feel in your time alone!

Those who don't know how to be alone are not really ready for a relationship anyway.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I think this is a common line of thought when you've had a string of bad experiences in the social world. It's a self-preservation thing. (I used to think that way too.)

Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM

53 posts, read 55,152 times
Quote:
I used to come on this board frequently for advice with guys I dated and my terrible track record. I recently realized I am just not someone who is meant to be in a close, committed, relationship.

Last month I went on a vacation from hell with 2 girlfriends of mine. Jane treated me like her punching bag the whole time, always gave me her two cents, never would compromise, and would get upset that I wasn't interested in the same things she liked. Alice although very sweet and nice, had no backbone and allowed for Jane to mistreat her as well as myself.

The vacation ended with me basically exploding at Jane, saying mean things to her, packing up my bags, and telling her to go F herself. Yes I know not mature at all.

The next day, I got a flight to another island (we were in Hawaii), and I continued to travel solo (which I frequently do anyway). I treated myself to a gourmet 4 course dinner alone. I had a romantic dinner for one and enjoyed every minute of it. Sure it seemed like I got a lot of stares, but it was well worth it to be alone.

Since that fiasco with Jane (I still keep in touch once in awhile with Alice), I haven't tried to date really anymore. The few guys I have gone out with since, bore the hell out of me.

I am not trying to seem dark or anything, but I realize I came into this world alone, so I am leaving alone. I seem to be the happiest when no one is around me.
I tend to agree. People are WORK. No one can be a better friend to you than you.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
I've definitely been there, had that epiphany. Especially after my divorce. My friends wanted to take me to lunch or dinner, and at first had this look in their eyes like they weren't sure how to approach the subject. One friend simply said "I'm really sorry about..." and I cut her off. I said "Don't feel sorry for me, CONGRATULATE me!" I walked out on my marriage, because I had to save my son and myself. Literally. It was LIBERATING. I poured myself into my job, and hung out with friends on the weekends. But it was MY life, for the first time. Ever. And my son was the only guy in my life, except for a couple male friendships.

Since then, I've had two relationships, one was 6 months, the other was a year and 3 months, and I'm undecided on the whole thing, now. I left the 6 month relationship, but the last one left me feeling blind-sided (it was a very long distance relationship. He's in Chile).

That was back in February, and, though I'm kind of wanting someone in my life, again, I still feel it's too soon to be serious. But I'm not a serial dater, although I have been out on a few dates since... but more importantly, I'm enjoying the company of my friends and family and... me. I'm not such a boring person... I even laugh at my own jokes.
thought i was the only one who did this. glad to see i'm not crazy, just happy!

I discovered i like being alone almost 5 yrs ago after my last breakup. The funny thing is, i was expecting to be depressed and to feel alone, but it was the total opposite! I LOVED coming home knowing that there would be no drama, and that the house would be exactly how i left it. I began to enjoy my girlfriends more than ever. Having peace of mind is priceless.

Of course i come across people who say that i won't feel this way forever, eventually, i won't like being alone. But i just think those people are projecting their feelings onto me. I like to date every now and then, but i really enjoy either hanging out w/friends or by myself.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
I used to come on this board frequently for advice with guys I dated and my terrible track record. I recently realized I am just not someone who is meant to be in a close, committed, relationship.

Last month I went on a vacation from hell with 2 girlfriends of mine. Jane treated me like her punching bag the whole time, always gave me her two cents, never would compromise, and would get upset that I wasn't interested in the same things she liked. Alice although very sweet and nice, had no backbone and allowed for Jane to mistreat her as well as myself.

The vacation ended with me basically exploding at Jane, saying mean things to her, packing up my bags, and telling her to go F herself. Yes I know not mature at all.

The next day, I got a flight to another island (we were in Hawaii), and I continued to travel solo (which I frequently do anyway). I treated myself to a gourmet 4 course dinner alone. I had a romantic dinner for one and enjoyed every minute of it. Sure it seemed like I got a lot of stares, but it was well worth it to be alone.

Since that fiasco with Jane (I still keep in touch once in awhile with Alice), I haven't tried to date really anymore. The few guys I have gone out with since, bore the hell out of me.

I am not trying to seem dark or anything, but I realize I came into this world alone, so I am leaving alone. I seem to be the happiest when no one is around me.

A few lustrums ago we had some Fantastic times at the Kona Surf on the big island (Hawaii)...Pig BBQ

There were lighted area showing the Manta Rays, & other ocean life at night...Awesome,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships