Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM

43 posts, read 278,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Being able to truly enjoy one's own company is key to individual happiness

Whether or not you are joined on your journey thru life by a partner should in no way diminish the joy you feel in your time alone!

Those who don't know how to be alone are not really ready for a relationship anyway.

I couldn't agree more with this^^

I always need alone time. Most of my friends don't understand. I used to try and explain, but now I just do my own thing and say 'this is the way I am, take it or leave it'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
funny, I'm in the same boat as you Naomi. Dating is getting boring and repetitive, none of the guys I meet feels right for me and they're mostly great guys but ya, I'm bored and not attracted to them half the time as well. I would rather just enjoy myself and the few friends I have left who don't pressure me to date guys I'm not interested in (which isn't that many anymore since they're all in serious relationships or married).

Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
I love my alone time. I go through stages of it where I just need breathing space. Nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't know if anyone's giving me weird looks brcause I'm not looking at them. Usually engrossed in a book or too deep in thought to notice. Let'em look. Enjoy your time because when you're least expecting it....well...I won't jinx it for you by saying it.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM

85 posts, read 178,111 times
It's kind of like people trying not to be shy anymore (I used to be extremely shy). Being shy is not a disease! Honestly, extroverts need to shut their damn mouths most of the time anyway imo. Just start to observe and listen to people and things around you instead of always having the need to chat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Funny, I've felt the same way many times when I've made attempts at socializing. You're too young to be in this stage, though...
I have been an old soul since I was 3.

I just moved to San Diego for work (didn't get Austin, but I am liking San Diego). I think the average age in my tiny building is 50 and I love it! The resident in charge of the building is like 80, has a cat name Gary, and was talking to me about the internet. I told her I could show her and she could check her email out in my apartment anytime she wants. We discussed how we are both exhausted by 6PM LOL.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I have been an old soul since I was 3.

I just moved to San Diego for work (didn't get Austin, but I am liking San Diego). I think the average age in my tiny building is 50 and I love it! The resident in charge of the building is like 80, has a cat name Gary, and was talking to me about the internet. I told her I could show her and she could check her email out in my apartment anytime she wants. We discussed how we are both exhausted by 6PM LOL.
I think I may be a little younger than you then!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree extroverts need to shut the f up.

I don't know why I can understand them but for some strange reason extroverts can't seem to understand others. They look at introverts like they have some kind of disease. LOL I don't get it.

EXACTLY!!!

It's like I am a freak because I am not as loud or outgoing as them, yet I don't look at them as being a freak at all. Frankly, it's a hell of a lot easier to be an extrovert than an introvert. You are always the life of the party and can meet people easily. Everytime I have gone to parties or social events with friends, I always shut down, or end up just drinking and eating appetizers.

Years ago I went on this 10 day tour of Israel with people from 18-28. While I thought everyone was nice, I just liked taking in the sites and meeting locals. I think people on my tour really thought I was snobby since I wasn't as outgoing and loud as them. The truth is, when we would eat dinner where it was relaxed and I was only around a few people, it was nice and very much my style. The second we were all together, it was like being in college again where people are trying to appear cool and whatnot.

It's funny because I loved having conversations with people on an individual level, but the second there are more bodies involved, I just want to bail.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
funny, I'm in the same boat as you Naomi. Dating is getting boring and repetitive, none of the guys I meet feels right for me and they're mostly great guys but ya, I'm bored and not attracted to them half the time as well. I would rather just enjoy myself and the few friends I have left who don't pressure me to date guys I'm not interested in (which isn't that many anymore since they're all in serious relationships or married).
Yup. I will say this, I haven't dated since being in San Diego since I really haven't had any interest in the moment. It's great getting out of LA. My friends and I always felt like we were dating the IDENTICAL guy in the film, real estate, and music industry who all seemed very 1 dimensional. She moved back to NYC where she grew up and is loving her dates there. She says all the guys there are all some unique and different from each other that even if it doesn't go anywhere, they at least stand out from each other. I haven't tried dating here yet though. It's just so nice having a new city to discover that I don't really give a **** about actually finding someone to explore with me.

EAT PRAY SOLITUDE!!!!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A few lustrums ago we had some Fantastic times at the Kona Surf on the big island (Hawaii)...Pig BBQ

There were lighted area showing the Manta Rays, & other ocean life at night...Awesome,

I ADORE the Big Island especially Kona and Hilo. I got a job offer 30 minutes from Volcano but turned it down. I would have been living in rural Hawaii and would have lost my mind. It worked out though because I am in San Diego now. I think Maui is overrated and Oahu blows. I do like Kauai but it is a bit too quiet for me. Would love to go to Molokai one day as well as Lanai.

I tried SO HARD to get employed in Kona or Hilo you have no idea! In Kona I loved all the snorkeling spots, bars, restaurants, hiking trails, and going to Mauna Kea (worth the $200). I really did wish I did the night snorkel with the rays. Oh well. I know I will be back anyway since I try to go to Hawaii as much as possible!! I was supposed to kayak my last day to the Cook Monument but I had a migraine due to the elevation from Mauna Kea the previous day! Naomi was not thinking!!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I dunno. They were all nice, but it was like I would have rather been at home reading a book or on City Data LOL. I felt bad because I used to be a really good listener and now I just lost patience. Every date feels exactly the same to me.

I actually just left LA and moved to San Diego. Haven't dated here, but that has been my experience to LA. I am enjoying all my solo time, my new job, having my own place finally, and discovering a new city on my own.
Absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying one's own company. I've always been more of a loner, and I've done a considerable amount of traveling with just myself as company. Of course I always enjoy my son's company, and now my BF as well. Still, if I am left to my own devices for a few days, I can switch into "me-time" mode pretty darn quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships