Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 PM

535 posts, read 585,909 times

Advertisements

I hear it all the time- "i am almost never going to cook" "i am not a slave to my husband" "i am above daily chores" "i am making something of my life unlike my mom"... from watching videos on the internet, to seeing friends who are married, watching tv, and talking with acquaintances...

Some of today's women are simply not marriage material.

Instead of looking up to their mothers , who were able to raise them well, spend much time with them, cook for them, and live on their dad's income, these women think they are above their moms b.c they have jobs or careers.

It's like women are missing out on the point of life. They are acting like stupid men who only care about their job , who are born, work, and die.

Quite frankly, men have changed to be more self sufficient, and women have been reduced to even more of an object to most males today.
Some women have lost a lot of compassion, sweetness, selflessness, and purity. I see in more households men doing most of the responsibilities, and women are becoming more depressed with life.

Women had it good in the 1940s and later. They made their families happy and made them their priority. Making a boss or coworker or customer happy, is no where near as rewarding, and I believe this is the ultimate reason for women's rising unhappiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Yawn

Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 PM

171 posts, read 416,448 times
ok? and what do you propose we do about this?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
I don't know any women who think they are better than their mothers and grandmothers.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I don't think I am better than my grandmother (but I sure as heck am better than my dead beat mother).

But my grandmother who raised me always told me to do something with my life, have a job, be independent, have a career...Why? She never had the chance to do any of those things.

I am a MOTHER, I WORK, go to SCHOOL and COOK.

Got a problem with that? If you do, too bad. You don't pay my bills, therefore I do not care.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
ok? and what do you propose we do about this?

This person probably wants us to go back the time where women had no voice.

Sorry but it is not going to happen.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:31 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
I hear it all the time- "i am almost never going to cook" "i am not a slave to my husband" "i am above daily chores" "i am making something of my life unlike my mom"... from watching videos on the internet, to seeing friends who are married, watching tv, and talking with acquaintances...

Instead of looking up to their mothers , who were able to raise them well, spend much time with them, cook for them, and live on their dad's income, these women think they are above their moms b.c they have jobs or careers.

It's like women are missing out on the point of life. They are acting like stupid men who only care about their job , who are born, work, and die.

Quite frankly, men have changed to be more self sufficient, and women have been reduced to even more of an object to most males today. Some women have lost a lot of compassion, sweetness, selflessness, and purity. I see in more households men doing most of the responsibilities, and women are becoming more depressed with life.

Women had it good in the 1940s and later. They made their families happy and made them their priority. Making a boss or coworker or customer happy, is no where near as rewarding, and I believe this is the ultimate reason for women's rising unhappiness.
Some of those quotes are OK I think. If her mother was a dead beat, or her job was terrible and she hated it, I think it's OK to say something like that. That's not saying anything bad about her mother, she raised her and now she wants to do better than she did. I think every parent wants there children to do better than they in life.

Good men won't have there wives be slaves to them either. They both will do about an equal amount of work in the marriage and at home.

The rest...OK if they're saying exactly that, red flags.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post

Quite frankly, men have changed to be more self sufficient, and women have been reduced to even more of an object to most males today. Some women have lost a lot of compassion, sweetness, selflessness, and purity. I see in more households men doing most of the responsibilities, and women are becoming more depressed with life.

Hmmm I am wondering where you got this information..
I feel you are compounding eras with todays examples of SOME women and you do not have a grasp on either one..
30's and 40's womens rights were barely coming into fruition, schools emphasized on 2 careers for women, a homemaker or a secretary.
Women were still considered property...WOMEN could dream but they could not envy what did not exist..Yes there were pioneers during these times and they assisted in paving the way for other women.

While Grandmothers and Mothers in any era are to be revered and respected if only for their gained wisdom and insight they wanted more for their daughters..
Marriages WERE not perfect but divorces were not favored and divorced women where shunned..Single women after 20 were seen as old hens and spinsters...lol...
The 60's and 70's brought a new breed of woman..
It is not that women have lost touch, respect or anything they just want more..And there is nothing wrong with this..
However there are many women that can balance a career and being a mother...it is being a wife that has proved to be the biggest challenge..
Why? Because as working women and mothers? And having a partner that works the same amount of time? Can most definitely put in the same amount of work we put in the home..Not that complicated..

Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
When the donkeys bray, do you answer it?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
When the donkeys bray, do you answer it?
Donkeys have a bit more class than, well, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships