Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times

Advertisements

I want exactly the same things in a wife that I want in a g/f. However, I should note that I am long beyond the point of wanting or raising children (been there, done that), so for me it's a simple question.

I did marry my g/f of 7 years about 3 years ago, and nothing changed afterwards - at least nothing tangible. However, there was an intangible, subtle difference that was all to the good. Perhaps it was the commitment or a sense of stability. We did worry that marriage would change things for the worse, given all the horror stories about marriage, and our own prior unhappy marriages, but we were relieved that nothing changed. She is still every bit as wonderful as before, and even our sex life has continued to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Knight, sounds like you have a fan here at CD.

I'm not even going to speculate who is the love of your life but anyone who loves dogs has a special place in this world.
I'm not the lucky lady, but I thank you for your compliment.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
He would be wise to take all the advice from the single guys on here and in general do just the opposite.
Best advice ever!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Thx for sharing more about your experience TaoistDude! It is wonderful to hear, that you and your DW, are still so happy together, and that your marriage to her made you feel even closer w/ her like that, as you'd mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I want exactly the same things in a wife that I want in a g/f. However, I should note that I am long beyond the point of wanting or raising children (been there, done that), so for me it's a simple question.

I did marry my g/f of 7 years about 3 years ago, and nothing changed afterwards - at least nothing tangible. However, there was an intangible, subtle difference that was all to the good. Perhaps it was the commitment or a sense of stability. We did worry that marriage would change things for the worse, given all the horror stories about marriage, and our own prior unhappy marriages, but we were relieved that nothing changed. She is still every bit as wonderful as before, and even our sex life has continued to improve.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I'm not the lucky lady, but I thank you for your compliment.
I'm a typical guy and have trouble with all the girl code. Someday you'll have to share, we're good at keeping secrets. Sierra will never tell (yeah right)

Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Sierra will never tell
Actually, that's quite accurate, if you haven't noticed yet!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
I'm a typical guy and have trouble with all the girl code. Someday you'll have to share, we're good at keeping secrets. Sierra will never tell (yeah right)
When there's a secret to share, you two will be the first to know.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I want exactly the same things in a wife that I want in a g/f.
This is so very true. After all, pretty much every wife in the world started out as a girlfriend so they obviously share many of the same qualities.

This is one of those questions that you need to answer for yourself. My first wife, first time I laid eyes on her I said "Im going to marry her one day". This was because she was the most beautiful woman I have EVER seen in my life. My current wife, I dated for quite a while before any thought of marriage entered my mind. It was over the course of our years dating where just one day, I realized that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

Its just one of those things where you know. Like a sudden epiphany.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Thx for sharing more about your experience TaoistDude! It is wonderful to hear, that you and your DW, are still so happy together, and that your marriage to her made you feel even closer w/ her like that, as you'd mentioned
The 1st year or 2 should be used by you two to really get to know each other and adjust to being a couple. You think you're in love now but that love will get deeper with every year if you do it right.

Wait a short while to have kids, that changes your life completely and you'll want to have some time with her 1st. Once she has your baby there will be a love that goes far beyond what you now feel.

It's not easy but after the wedding, take care of each other and it will continue to be good. Most importantly, keep bad people out of your life, they can wreck your relationship. We let others influence us way too much.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Some very excellent "wifely" qualities you had listed there SD4020...all of which sound good to me
You should also listen to her and treat her well, with respect, love. Treat her how you would like to be treated. Times will come when it will be hard to remember that, she might have you pissed off. Never forget that you still love her and need to treat her that way.

It is okay to put her needs ahead of yours every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships