Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM

201 posts, read 648,473 times

Advertisements

While I have been going through a breakup for a long time now I often receive advice from people I know telling me that to get over someone from the past I need to get under someone new. The advice seems a bit odd at first but then I actually started thinking about the idea and was wondering the advice from this public forum. Has anyone ever used sex as a means to forget about the past and does this really work? I've got say, if this does work I would really like to flip through my options phone book and find out. For me, it's kind of been a while since I have done the deed, so i guess i have tried everything except for doing trying the no strings attached route. I see people doing this all the time and at least in short term it seems to work. But, i am a bit scared to try it myself. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
I have. Does not always works but the sex is good.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
I've heard about it....something along the lines: "If you want to get rid off unwanted feelings for someone, you need to f**k them out".
I'm sure it probably works for some.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Seems like a GOLLY GUMP SWALLOWED A FLY type situation.

After my divorce I dated a lot of girls...certainly didn't have sex with them...it was more for the attention...but I regret it and wish I didn't do that. It isn't fair to fix a heart by breaking others.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I've heard about it....something along the lines: "If you want to get rid off unwanted feelings for someone, you need to f**k them out".
I'm sure it probably works for some.
Ive never heard of this, but it sounds like words from a sage wise man.

IMO, sex and love are two TOTALLY different and independent things. Having lots of sex sure does help, but it doesnt cure the emotions I assume.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Yup. Love and sex are two different things...and I could easily go the rest of my life without having "sex."

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
While I have been going through a breakup for a long time now I often receive advice from people I know telling me that to get over someone from the past I need to get under someone new. The advice seems a bit odd at first but then I actually started thinking about the idea and was wondering the advice from this public forum. Has anyone ever used sex as a means to forget about the past and does this really work? I've got say, if this does work I would really like to flip through my options phone book and find out. For me, it's kind of been a while since I have done the deed, so i guess i have tried everything except for doing trying the no strings attached route. I see people doing this all the time and at least in short term it seems to work. But, i am a bit scared to try it myself. Your thoughts?
Don't do it.

Even if the woman herself is OK with it, you're basically using another person for a selfish purpose. You may even achieve it, but that other person may then get hung up on you - and get hurt in the process.

Grieve and mourn your loss, and take your time - and find somebody new, but when you are ready. Putting a band-aid on a bleeding heart won't solve the problem.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
I'm sure it'll make you feel better, but those feelings could end up just being temporary since you're just using sex to distract yourself from what's hurting you.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
If a woman doesn't mind being your sexual punching bag, then go for it. If she thinks you are really interested in her, you'll just hurt her.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
I think it can help to get over someone, for any number of possible reasons. However, from an ethical perspective, you'd want to find someone who is also looking for NSA sex, or is fully aware that you're not looking for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships