Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,321,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Do you honestly believe a woman should be forced to give birth to a child?
I am allowed to believe what I want to believe. Why is it ok for people to force their beliefs on others and try to belittle their beliefs about something they feel strongly about....hmmmmmmm

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-28-2010 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,672,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I am allowed to believe what I want to believe. Why is it ok for people to force their beliefs on others and try to belittle their beliefs about something they feel strongly about....hmmmmmmm
Maybe it's because they are allowed to believe what they want to believe? Or do you think you have special opinion rights that apply only to you?

"I'm entitled to my opinion" is not a valid argument. In fact, everything you said stems from the fact that you are anti-abortion -- not based on any genuine belief that men should be given a legal "choice" on whether or not to end a pregnancy. But you do believe that women should be forced to undergo pregnancy because a woman who's ****ed isn't "innocent" -- in other words, that whole idea that unwanted motherhood or a threat to a woman's health is just deserts for having sex. That's your opinion -- believe it if you will, but realize that other people have an opinion that's highly critical of your opinion, and that's okay too. No one here is saying you should be shot, jailed or otherwise persecuted for what you believe in. But, if you put your opinion out there in a public debate, don't be surprised when it's subjected to criticism. An opinion isn't entitled to validation or endorsement simply because it exists. You indeed have a right to an opinion -- but you don't have a right to demand that others not criticize it.

Last edited by Redisca; 08-28-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,137,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't think anyone is forcing their beliefs on you. Some folk just don't agree and are making their arguments, tho, I guess sometimes/often this can be interpreted as belittlement.

What I don't get is that it's ok to force a woman to bear pregnancy according to some, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't be ok to force you to have an abortion. Or, would it?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,441,996 times
But it IS okay to force a man to be a father? Even when he explicitly and responsibly tried not to be? Yeah, yeah, different biological function and all, but what's really fair? One party has essentially ALL the choices and options, and one has essentially none. IMO, neither should be able to force the other to be a parent.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,553,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I think people who think like this should be out of the gene pool.
It would have been better than taking the hand I was given...

The odds are against children of single-parent homes, they tend to comprise the underclass. The underclass has little opportunity to better themselves and usually end up under law enforcement supervision. Thus it would be better for EVERYONE if they didn't make it to adulthood.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,672,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
But it IS okay to force a man to be a father? Even when he explicitly and responsibly tried not to be? Yeah, yeah, different biological function and all, but what's really fair? One party has essentially ALL the choices and options, and one has essentially none. IMO, neither should be able to force the other to be a parent.
Biology makes lots of things very unfair, as I previously said. Women don't have all the choices and options. It's unfair that only women have to deal with the risks and discomforts of pregnancy and childbirth, as well as the job and career setbacks that invariably result, while men go on as if nothing's changed. But, that's biology and them's the breaks.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,137,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I don't think it's fair for anyone. Pregnancy can be a horror for some. Abortion can be a horror for some. Likewise with child-rearing. An unwanted pregnancy certainly has little to do with fairness. And I don't think pregnancy or abortion are palatable choices for many. How about neither?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,321,674 times
I feel very strongly about this. I'll share a bit of my personal story so maybe people would be able to understand where I'm coming from. I lost a very much wanted and longed for baby when that baby was barely 7 weeks. I saw my sweet baby on the ultrasound sceen and saw his/her flickering heart. Two days later I was in the ER in pain feeling my baby slipping away from me. How I cried that day. I just remember screaming when the Dr. told me I was losing my precious child. It was like someone took a knife and twisted it into my heart. A part of me died that day. For quite some time I didn't want to go on living. I wanted to be with my angel. However, I had to go on for my son.

Fast forward almost 2 years later and I gave birth to my sweet little girl. I was DONE having kids as I had a boy and a girl and frankly 2 kids was more than enough for me to handle.

When my little girl was only 15 months old I discovered I was pregnant again. I was in shock. We were using birth control, it was only the one time and it was way too early in the month for me to get pregnant. I was really upset. However, I realized that it was not my baby's fault it was my own and my husband's and I chose to have her and I couldn't be happier as she has brought such joy into our lives. I feel like God was giving me back the baby I had lost.

I now have 3 young children and I got my tubes tied.

That's where I'm coming from. Thanks for listening

Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,387,746 times
Personally, I wish no person on Earth ever got an abortion. However, I can't say that I would ever criminalize it, or in any force a woman to go through with a pregnancy. I can't force my morals on others.

I too have a story:

About a year ago a good friend, had a GF that aborted a baby, he wanted very much. They had been dating for nearly 6 months, and she told him that the only way she'd have it was if they married. He wasn't sure about marriage, and rightfully he didn't propose.

She waited until his birthday to abort the baby. He broke up with her the minute he found out about it. He was devestated she did that; she was devestated he broke up with her.

Here is my thought; he should have had this conversation a long time before he ever had sex with that woman. It would have saved a lot of heart break on both sides.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,314,404 times
I too have a story. As a teacher, I see many young boys and girls from homes where there is no adult supervision or role model. Last year a 14 year old from my school found out she was pregnant. The sad thing is in her ignorance she didn't find out until she was 6 months along. She just thought she was irregular with her cycle, like she always had been. The father was a grown man, who had been visiting the family and naturally he was long gone. They couldn't even find him to ask for benefits or to press charges of statutory rape. So, this 14 year old gave birth to an unwanted baby. Yes, she gave the baby up for adoption, but she went throught the trauma of birth basically alone. She had a hard time giving birth and almost died. She will never have anymore children. This young girl, who is still a child, has had her life altered forever because of the selfishness of a man. What is the answer? Should young girls like her be forced to give birth or have an abortion? Do we risk one child to save another? I am tired of hearing pro-lifers say this is an unusual case because it is not. Talk to people who work with young teens and preteens and you will hear the same stories over and over.

Yes, everyone should be responsible for birth control. No one should rely on anyone else to handle it. If I was a man, I would ALWAYS use a condom. As a woman, I would insist on a condom and use birth control of my own too. If I was in a relationship, I might just handle it myself. I don't have casual sex, but if I did I would make sure I was protected.

Last edited by smel; 08-28-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships