Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM

458 posts, read 611,508 times

Advertisements

This is a slight spin-off of the 'living together before marriage thread.' Many people have commented that it's neccesary to know if a couple is "compatible".

What does compatiblity mean to you? what does it "look like?" have you been in a relationship where there was seeming compatibility yet the relationship ended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Reasonable and not crazy is what I consider compatible. Intelligence is important and coming from a good family that understand ethics and good values.. You can build love on this type of compatibility. Stupid or poorly trained individuals are always going to present a problem...and beware of the woman that proclaims they are an atheist...These types don't play by the rules- They have no rules.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
When I make a random throwback reference to a long cancelled children's cartoon that briefly ran in syndication during the wee hours of the morning during the mid 90s, we're probably going to be pretty dang compatible.

Also, you can't leave your dishes in the sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Reasonable and not crazy is what I consider compatible. Intelligence is important and coming from a good family that understand ethics and good values.. You can build love on this type of compatibility. Stupid or poorly trained individuals are always going to present a problem...and beware of the woman that proclaims they are an atheist...These types don't play by the rules- They have no rules.
Poorly trained? Did I accidentally wander into the Pets forum?

Oh, and watch out. I'm an atheist so you never know WHAT I'm going to do next.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
1. Lets me put my nose wherever I like it.

2. Services the crocodile at where he likes it, frequently like Adobe Flash patch updates.

3. Maintains a 25 to 50 pound overweight range, with the poundage tactically directed towards the bulges where the crocodile indulges.

Last edited by RedZin; 09-08-2012 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Please stop talking about your snout. That first comment is graphic enough without using third person crocodile anatomy.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
This is a slight spin-off of the 'living together before marriage thread.' Many people have commented that it's neccesary to know if a couple is "compatible".

What does compatiblity mean to you? what does it "look like?" have you been in a relationship where there was seeming compatibility yet the relationship ended?
- Wanting the same things from life. If I valued family and he was into money, that would never work for instance.
- Can laugh at the same things.
- Similar sex drives.

That sort of thing.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,143 times
To me it's how 2 people choose to get along with each other. I think at the heart of it, everyone is stubborn and opinionated... and anyone at any given time can compromise. It's just a matter of what 2 people are willing to sacrifice to be together.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Compatibility... Your ability to respect each other's interests and concerns. Your ability to work together as a team for a common goal and offer backup to the other person when they are working towards a personal goal or through an issue. Your ability to divide up tasks and responsibilities according to strengths and inclinations as you are working on building your life together. Your level of trust in each other's integrity and choices. Shared values. Mutual affection. The ability to express kindness and empathy towards each other in ways that it is appreciated.

And then there are just those days where you flow together and know there's something solid there. I remember a fall day spent with my ex polishing off chores at my grandmother's before heading over to my dad's to put up a fence he was paying us to build, then sharing a pizza on our porch before he went to work on his car in the parking lot, and I rolled out a blanket under a nearby tree so I could read a book and talk with him and hand him tools. It was such a happy and productive day.

But that's just one level of compatibility. In the end, I couldn't agree with his values and goals in life, and he couldn't agree with mine. In retrospect, it's kind of funny how we both became rather disapproving of each other. Never hostile, but we realized that our priorities would always be different and there was no room for compromise on that.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
News flash: Atheism does not mean a deficit of moral fiber. Some people don't need a magical sky god to keep them in line.

Most of my Christian friends find me to be a bit rigid from a morals perspective, actually.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Compatibility?? What is that??? (sarcasm inserted)

Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Communication is the key to compatibility to me. If we can talk it out, it doesn't matter how different we may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships