Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Like 3 months ago, I was coming up to a stop light...and there was this woman trying to cross the street. I saw that she clearly wasn't watching where she was walking, so I whistled at her to be careful. She thought I was flirting with her, and she started playing with her hair. Just then a Hummer H2 barreled into her.
Perhaps you should learn to whistle a different tune when warning others.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Perhaps you should learn to whistle a different tune when warning others.
Whatever, she was just vain.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Been reading this and noticed how quickly it went from being whistled at to outright harassment and dangerous situations.

THIS is why men aren't good at flirting anymore -- /snip/

It's NOT the best form of flirtation; but it's not the denigrating, brutish expression of the beast within some here have painted it to be, either. The next step from whistling is NOT to seize a woman's hair, beat her senseless and drag her back to the cave for some rousing sessions of enslavement and torturous degradation. Seriously, what's WITH some of you people?
LOL! Oh please, your post is the most melodramatic post as of yet. A question was posed and answered. BTW, whistling is not flirting unless you know the person.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I was reading a thread concerning how men behave in certain areas. I was wondering, what percentage of women really like when they get whistled at by men.

I personally would never do it because I think it is disrespectful, but that is my personal opinion.

Love it....you men keep them whistles coming..

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Been reading this and noticed how quickly it went from being whistled at to outright harassment and dangerous situations.

THIS is why men aren't good at flirting anymore -- because the mental imagery popularized goes from a guy whistling at a woman (which CAN be done tastefully, contrary to what some of you may think) to howling, gibbering packs of knuckle-draggers hooting and slavering as they dog a woman's heels until she fears for her very life.

Although there's certainly some truth to the assertion that for Ugly Guy whistling is harassment while for Hot Guy whistling is silly, good-time fun and admiration:

YouTube - Tom Brady on SNL skit (Smigel): "Sexual Harassment and You"

...it's also true that it's all in approach and delivery. Whistling is NOT my preferred form of flirtation but I've done it a couple of times. I didn't leer, I didn't stalk -- I just whistled lightly, often in surprise myself (kind of like when one gets hit unexpectedly and whistles at the pain), and then maintained eye contact and smiled, even followed up with a compliment. It's never been poorly received.

It's NOT the best form of flirtation; but it's not the denigrating, brutish expression of the beast within some here have painted it to be, either. The next step from whistling is NOT to seize a woman's hair, beat her senseless and drag her back to the cave for some rousing sessions of enslavement and torturous degradation. Seriously, what's WITH some of you people?

Not being a woman who has been whistled at since she was 12 years old, I don't really believe you are qualified to tell us how we should or should not feel about it. As a young girl who developed early, it was extremely uncomfortable to me for men my father's age and older to whistle at me. I did not take it as a compliment at all. It just scared me, so I believe I have the right to say that I don't like it, without you acting like something is wrong with me. If you say you have not whistled at a very young girl, you don't know if you have or not. I looked at 12 like I looked at 18. Some girls mature early, and have to deal with men way before they are ready. Because of my experiences and watching young girls deal with it today, I hate being whistled at. That is my opinion, and I have the right to have it.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 PM

90 posts, read 294,304 times
Agreed. I hit puberty at 10 years old. I have essentially the same body now, at 22, that I did at 10. I took the bus everywhere until I got my drivers' license. When I was 13, I remember standing at the bus stop waiting to go to a music lesson, while some guys working on a house across the street whistled and shouted at me for 15 minutes until my bus showed up. I was scared and humiliated. I had a good number of experiences like that, long before I was old enough to deal with any sort of sexual attention, and it certainly soured me on random men commenting on my body. And, frankly, I don't really want to be someone's hot piece of ass as I go about my day.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I would take it as a compliment.
So do I. Too much pc in that area....we all like to look at attractive things...when out in public, we say how cute the baby is, how adorable the puppy is, how gorgeous that house or that painting is but if an attractive person goes by, we have to swallow our tongues....gesssshhh lighten up

Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I freakin hate it. There are these guys at work that do that to me.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I freakin hate it. There are these guys at work that do that to me.
I guess I have to prefix my comment with the fact that I'm at the "overthehill" age so if someone thinks I'm whistle worthy, go for it....us old gals need a pat on the ego once in a while too....

At a younger age, I would find it kinda sleazy....funny how our prospectives alter....I certainly don't condone sexual harrasment; just a "hey, you're looking good" is A-OK ......

Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
I'm a guy and I've had it done a few times by some girls.

It makes me feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships