Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's aggressive, uncomfortable, rude, can be construed as threatening, and overall, it pisses me off.

Is that your final answer?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 PM

89 posts, read 189,045 times
geez! Buy her some teeth for God's sake

Old 11-13-2010, 03:36 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Default How to respond to cat calls?

When the weather is good, I like to go jogging outside in a neighborhood/downtown-ish area. Let me make this clear: NOTHING about me is asking for attention. My hair is in a ponytail. I'm wearing no makeup unless I put some on earlier in the day. I'm sweaty. And I'm wearing a t-shirt with jogging/running capris. Sure, you can see my shape a little bit, but it's not like I'm wearing a sports bra with tiny shorts. I'm focused on running and don't particularly make inviting facial expressions (like warm smiles lol).

However, invariably, the men I pass or that pass me will make comments that make me cringe and want to run away. Today this guy passed me on a bicycle and said stuff about how sexy I was and then kept looking back at me every few seconds like I was a walking filet. These guys on a balcony yelled stuff at me until I was out of their sight. And I get men who make those noises when you pass... the noises men make when they come across a good piece of steak.

Sure, I suppose this is flattering in a way, but I don't want this type of attention and it quite honestly creeps me out. When I want the attention, then I'll style myself and when I get attention from the hot men and the creepers alike, I can't complain. But in this scenario, I'm NOT looking for it. I just want to work out and that's it. It makes me feel vulnerable because I'm young and I don't know how to respond to it. I've invested and continue to invest a lot of hard work and energy into becoming fit and having a toned body, but it seems like my results (especially my butt - to be frank) invites unwanted attention.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
W It makes me feel vulnerable because I'm young and I don't know how to respond to it.
Ignore it, or laugh it off, or say thank you and keep going. I mean, what's the issue? You're being paid a compliment. Unless they're following you and harrassing you, what's the big deal?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Sure, I suppose this is flattering in a way, but I don't want this type of attention and it quite honestly creeps me out. When I want the attention, then I'll style myself and when I get attention from the hot men and the creepers alike, I can't complain. But in this scenario, I'm NOT looking for it. I just want to work out and that's it. It makes me feel vulnerable because I'm young and I don't know how to respond to it. I've invested and continue to invest a lot of hard work and energy into becoming fit and having a toned body, but it seems like my results (especially my butt - to be frank) invites unwanted attention.
The best cure for this is time. Obviously you can't control other peoples' behavior, so just wait it out. I got a lot of that until I was around 23 or so and then it quit, though once when I was 49 I got honked at and just had a good laugh at it b/c it had been so long and I wondered if they needed new glasses.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
When the weather is good, I like to go jogging outside in a neighborhood/downtown-ish area. Let me make this clear: NOTHING about me is asking for attention. My hair is in a ponytail. I'm wearing no makeup unless I put some on earlier in the day. I'm sweaty. And I'm wearing a t-shirt with jogging/running capris. Sure, you can see my shape a little bit, but it's not like I'm wearing a sports bra with tiny shorts. I'm focused on running and don't particularly make inviting facial expressions (like warm smiles lol).

However, invariably, the men I pass or that pass me will make comments that make me cringe and want to run away. Today this guy passed me on a bicycle and said stuff about how sexy I was and then kept looking back at me every few seconds like I was a walking filet. These guys on a balcony yelled stuff at me until I was out of their sight. And I get men who make those noises when you pass... the noises men make when they come across a good piece of steak.

Next time you go by, turn the tables on those boys and make some of your own cat calls. Often believe it or not boys get quite embarrassed when women display some aggressiveness . And dear you are a female, you need wear no makeup and men will find you sexy. We women wear that stuff primarily for ourselves, because men really don't care at all.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Ignore it, or laugh it off, or say thank you and keep going. I mean, what's the issue? You're being paid a compliment. Unless they're following you and harrassing you, what's the big deal?
It's a big deal because I don't appreciate that type of attention... and it is NOT a compliment. It IS borderline harassment when they make unwanted comments about various body parts.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
It's a big deal because I don't appreciate that type of attention... and it is NOT a compliment. It IS borderline harassment when they make unwanted comments about various body parts.

You live in a world with other people however and some of those people are just plain crass. I have no problems with catcalls and sometimes make some of my own, but i do think you are taking this a bit too personal as well.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
We women wear that stuff primarily for ourselves, because men really don't care at all.
Truth. It's why women get unwanted attention at the gym. Y'all are like "oh but we look all sweaty and tired and terrible"... doesn't register that way to us

Anyway, you can either ignore them or maybe check out this website

Hollaback!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:08 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
You live in a world with other people however and some of those people are just plain crass. I have no problems with catcalls and sometimes make some of my own, but i do think you are taking this a bit too personal as well.
You should really rethink your argument. You're arguing that we live in a world with different people and because they want to do what they want to do, we should just accept it. So, if mango walks by a guy and he touches her - she should just accept it because he's a pervert and that's what he does? Oh, and not take it personally because boys will be boys, right?

You're excusing behavior that is highly inappropriate and it really speaks to your disturbed mindset that you think mango is in the wrong for not liking it. But I do suppose you excuse poor behavior because you exhibit it yourself.

Mango, you are absolutely right to feel uncomfortable. Unwanted attention is NOT ok. I have found the best thing to do is turn the music up and walk right past the problem. Reacting is what they want - unfortunately there is not much more you can do besides that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships