Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times

Advertisements

Nothing really. Not everything has a rational end, does it? I was simply responding to her opinions of me, which I couldn't care less about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I went to a meal with some of my mom's friends last night, and all of us talked about different stuff, sports, politics, etc. My mom's friend hardly said anything in these conversations, and even though she was married was to me quite pretty.

A possible reason for non-participation in conversations is that they cannot add anything to them, or they don't have any real opinions to offer. Do people who don't have any real developed opinions/attitudes of their own turn you off? And would you date somebody who couldn't conceptualise for themselves?
1. Someone whose ill-informed opinion has been spoon-fed to them is just as worthless a conversant as someone who says nothing. That pretty much covers the majority of people. Just because someone is ready to babble an opinion does not mean they really thought about anything or have a clue what they are saying.

2. Some people are shy and intimidated and will not voice strong opinions in those situations. Especially in front of strangers. She may have had lots of thoughts but kept them to herself.

3. She may have completely disagreed with the opinions being offered and didn't want to cause dissent or bad feelings in a nice social gathering.

I wouldn't rush to judge that this woman had no opinions or was just 'dumb.'

But the answer to the question is no. I can't stand being around people who have opinions that are not well-researched and internally debated (again, the majority of the population) or who don't care about anything and can't be bothered with deep thought and reflection. So I would not date them.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. Someone whose ill-informed opinion has been spoon-fed to them is just as worthless a conversant as someone who says nothing. That pretty much covers the majority of people. Just because someone is ready to babble an opinion does not mean they really thought about anything or have a clue what they are saying.

2. Some people are shy and intimidated and will not voice strong opinions in those situations. Especially in front of strangers. She may have had lots of thoughts but kept them to herself.

3. She may have completely disagreed with the opinions being offered and didn't want to cause dissent or bad feelings in a nice social gathering.

I wouldn't rush to judge that this woman had no opinions or was just 'dumb.'
When did I say otherwise?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
When did I say otherwise?
I didn't mean to imply that you had decided that about her. I am just fleshing out the other possibilities...I know people who are very deep and intellectually honest who don't really talk much in public. Too bad. These people sometimes have the best, most informative things to say. Sometimes the mere injection of facts can derail a conversation, so they keep quiet.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
I am very opinionated and I have learned to rarely say anything in mixed or uncertain company. First of all there is the great probability of offending somebody. Secondly, too many people talking at once is too distracting for me, most of the time I lose track of the conversation and just tune out. Ultimately, it is pointless to discuss anything because it doesn't change anything.

You can't judge somebody based on one encounter. She may well be the most opinionated person in the world. Or she may simply not care about politics and sports. In any case most of what people "converse" about are simply regurgitated fact or opinions formed from osmosis.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I am very opinionated and I have learned to rarely say anything in mixed or uncertain company. First of all there is the great probability of offending somebody. Secondly, too many people talking at once is too distracting for me, most of the time I lose track of the conversation and just tune out. Ultimately, it is pointless to discuss anything because it doesn't change anything.

You can't judge somebody based on one encounter. She may well be the most opinionated person in the world. Or she may simply not care about politics and sports. In any case most of what people "converse" about are simply regurgitated fact or opinions formed from osmosis.
I don't have a problem with so-called "regurgitated" stuff, and let's face it, how much of anything that any of us knows is really all that "original" anyway? Except for the folks who only care about their own opinions (or just like hearing themselves talk), even "recycled" opinions can serve as a good jumping off point for exploring how and why people really feel about something.

Last edited by mateo45; 08-30-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: spell...

Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Opinions are like *ssholes. Everyone has one.
So I thought. I'm really surprised people without them exist! Maybe they don't know what anus is and deny having one.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
Quote:
I went to a meal with some of my mom's friends last night, and all of us talked about different stuff, sports, politics, etc. My mom's friend hardly said anything in these conversations, and even though she was married was to me quite pretty.

A possible reason for non-participation in conversations is that they cannot add anything to them, or they don't have any real opinions to offer. Do people who don't have any real developed opinions/attitudes of their own turn you off? And would you date somebody who couldn't conceptualise for themselves?
Maybe she had a bad day, and was just feeling "quiet".

Maybe she wasn't feeling well.

And, sometimes your posts are very confusing. Do you talk this way, too? With double negatives, words out of context, etc? It's possible she had no idea what you were talking about, because of the way you phrase things... I don't know how else to describe it.

And maybe she was afraid if she did contribute to the conversation, you'd just keep asking more questions, or, more frustratingly, answering questions with questions.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM

I think my post was understandable.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post

Well nothing I really believe is regurgitated or absorbed.

I guess I'm just judging people by my own standards. I like debate, about anything, since I like mental sharpness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships