Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
step 1: become famous
step 2: behave badly!
Nah...

step 1: look/act like Charlie
step 2: behave however you wish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
I think tv and movies in general have impacted dating culture, but I think it's definetly a chicken or the egg type thing.
edit: not nessesarily negatively impacted, no.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I think tv and movies in general have impacted dating culture, but I think it's definetly a chicken or the egg type thing.
edit: not nessesarily negatively impacted, no.
Oh, the shows definitely have clear agendas! I used to like Boston Legal, Private Practice, etc., but eventually got sick of the agenda stuffed down my throat in the most blatant ways!

I don't think, for instance, I've seen as many gays all my life as I've seen on TV in the past decade! And I can't recall seeing even one gay couple kissing, provided I've been to San Francisco and Mykonos, but there are plenty on TV. So much for being born this way... It's promotion like everything else intended to destroy families!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
I believe television is merely a reflection of what's either happening in real life or, more likely, what the show's writers would like to see happen. I'll give an example of each. Sex & the City was praised for showing how women really talk amongst themselves. If that's the case, it reflects poorly on women to think that there are women in real life who analyze their relationships to such an extent or who break up with guys over such trivial matters. An example of a show that's total fantasy is According to Jim. Here you have an overweight idiot male who somehow ends up with an attractive and in shape woman. It's obvious men who relate to the main character wouldn't watch if he were married to someone who looked more like him. But in real life, you're more likely to find a couple who looks like John Goodman and Roseanne Barr. So to get back the original question. I don't believe television has negatively impacted our dating culture. I think it's just a sad reflection of what kind of people are out there.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
I think we have to worry more about reality TV. They often start as caricatures for the viewer to ridicule but somehow they morph into the leading edge of pop culture and everyone wants to be like them. I suppose we will be seeing many more d-bags now that Jersey Shore is a hit and The Situation will clear about 5 mil this year from his different projects. Those JS kids sure know how to have good relationships.

The only tv show I love right now is South Park.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
I agree with Denny that TV sitcoms are a reflecrtion of real life. They just cant make that suff up.

Quote:
An example of a show that's total fantasy is According to Jim. Here you have an overweight idiot male who somehow ends up with an attractive and in shape woman.
I dont know. I have been noticing couples lately, especially my friends. The majority of couples are a very large man with a tiny wife.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, the shows definitely have clear agendas! I used to like Boston Legal, Private Practice, etc., but eventually got sick of the agenda stuffed down my throat in the most blatant ways!

I don't think, for instance, I've seen as many gays all my life as I've seen on TV in the past decade! And I can't recall seeing even one gay couple kissing, provided I've been to San Francisco and Mykonos, but there are plenty on TV. So much for being born this way... It's promotion like everything else intended to destroy families!
I think gay sitcoms hurt the gay community more than they help it, so you're "safe" from "the gays".

Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Agenda for what? It's clear Your Highness has not been swayed into a particular agenda.

Quote:

Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I think gay sitcoms hurt the gay community more than they help it, so you're "safe" from "the gays".
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Agenda for what? It's clear Your Highness has not been swayed into a particular agenda.
My Highness is an adult. There are children in front of these TVs! There are also plenty of adults receptive to all kinds of influences. Did you use to go ask dear ol' doc about every piece of crap you saw on TV in the past?!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:21 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Ha ha No. But I was never swayed by The Simpsons. The show made me laugh out loud though. I think you are just way too conservative.

Quote:
My Highness is an adult. There are children in front of these TVs! There are also plenty of adults receptive to all kinds of influences. Did you use to go ask dear ol' doc about every piece of crap you saw on TV in the past?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships