Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,491,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd have a serious problem with them had I been a man. Men are presented as morons on 95% of the shows. And women get influenced by these attitudes, of course. Nobody is immune! Even if you deliberately fight that influence, it still gets to you on some level, sooner or later!
Ever since Archie Bunker, most men have been presented as replaceable buffoons. Not a good role model for young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,687,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I dont see it..Im sure theres some but women do this also i doubt its just Men with unrealisitc expectations in a mate..
I like how you downplay how many men do it and then pivot to say that women do it too. Whether women do it too is irrelevant. The point is that there are men who watch shows like this and, for 30 minutes a week at least, can act like they could really get a woman like those guys.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

5,334 posts, read 6,129,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I like how you downplay how many men do it and then pivot to say that women do it too. Whether women do it too is irrelevant. The point is that there are men who watch shows like this and, for 30 minutes a week at least, can act like they could really get a woman like those guys.
Wheter women do it too is irrelevant? This post is about dating in general not Mens unrealisitc expectations..

Why is womens expectations from these shows any less relevant to the discussion?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,433,098 times
Men are presented in Sitcoms, as buffoons, because it is just funny. I don't really think many sane people take it seriously.

Look at the buffoons:

Charlie Kelly and the other Sunny guys
Homer Simpson
Peter Griffin
Randy Marsh

These guys are SO over the top, nobody can even believe it. I'd be more worried about the subtle characters on Reality shows and some dramas.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,391,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Not a good role model for young kids.
Nope! It's not good for us, either! It's no different than watching your family of origin interact around you. You MAY think the manner of relating doesn't matter and it doesn't influence you, but it DOES!

About the only decent husband I've seen was on 7th Heaven and that's a religious show and he's a minister!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Wheter women do it too is irrelevant? This post is about dating in general not Mens unrealisitc expectations..

Why is womens expectations from these shows any less relevant to the discussion?
It's irrelevant to your specific post where you claim that you know of know men who look at shows like According to Jim and come away thinking they too can land some young hottie. First you say you no men do that and then you say women do it. In other words, "men don't do it, but even if they do, so what since women do it too."

Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ever since Archie Bunker, most men have been presented as replaceable buffoons. Not a good role model for young kids.
That's why parents should be the role models not tv..Anyone who expects the entertianment industry to raise their kids will get what they deserve..

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's irrelevant to your specific post where you claim that you know of know men who look at shows like According to Jim and come away thinking they too can land some young hottie. First you say you no men do that and then you say women do it. In other words, "men don't do it, but even if they do, so what since women do it too."
I never said i know of Men who have unrealistic expectations i was saying i know women who do and then i responded to somebody who said that men do and said i dont know many fat Men who think they deserve a hot wife becasue of what they see on tv..

I didnt say it doesnt exist but i havent seen much of it..You come in saying it does exist and we should talk about that and ignore women who have these expectations..

Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,673,626 times
The last time I regularly watched a sitcom was decades ago when All In The Family was on tv. I don't see how anyone could find a show that has recorded laughter in the background to be entertaining so they don't have any influence on me whatsoever.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I never said i know of Men who have unrealistic expectations i was saying i know women who do and then i responded to somebody who said that men do and said i dont know many fat Men who think they deserve a hot wife becasue of what they see on tv..

I didnt say it doesnt exist but i havent seen much of it..You come in saying it does exist and we should talk about that and ignore women who have these expectations..
I didn't say we should ignore the women who do it. But imagine if I had started a thread asking if people are shallow. One person responds that men are shallow. And then another person responds "I've never seen a man who was shallow but I've seen women who are." Whether women are or aren't shallow, what does that have to do with the first poster's claim that men are shallow? It may relate to the topic as a whole, but it's irrelevant to that first poster's statement. It comes across as someone who's anxious to change to the subject away from men and towards women, something I would expect from betamanlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships