Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: So Cal
52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Reputation: 52806

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sounds a bit like a high school exam question, lol. Discuss...

I'm of the opinion they generally reinforce stereotypes, but there are definitely exceptions, although there's a general tone of mocking and patronising that's maybe a by-product of humour that I think can make it harder for people to free themselves from the superficialities that breed insecurity.
Its funny how this thread just came up. We watched a documentary about Gertrude Berg. She was a radio personality and when tv first came out, she had pretty much the first Sit Com. The Goldbergs was the name of the show. She was pre Lucy Ball, while not known today, I never heard of her prior to watching this documentary. She was pretty much the first. Back in those days TV shows actually tried to be a positive influence.

Now adays TV is garbage. Funny, but mostly amoral. But hey, amoral can be fun right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
 
5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Reputation: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I didn't say we should ignore the women who do it. But imagine if I had started a thread asking if people are shallow. One person responds that men are shallow. And then another person responds "I've never seen a man who was shallow but I've seen women who are." Whether women are or aren't shallow, what does that have to do with the first poster's claim that men are shallow? It may relate to the topic as a whole, but it's irrelevant to that first poster's statement. It comes across as someone who's anxious to change to the subject away from men and towards women, something I would expect from betamanlet.
Umm i first posted that women are impressionable to what they see on tv about relationships then after that somebody brought up that men are not the other way around like you claim to prove your point..

You're the one who has an agenda not me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
 
8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Reputation: 7712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Umm i first posted that women are impressionable to what they see on tv about relationships then after that somebody brought up that men are not the other way around like you claim to prove your point..

You're the one who has an agenda not me...
I have no agenda. I just care for it when threads like this turn into excuses for people to engage in gender bashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
 
5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Reputation: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I have no agenda. I just care for it when threads like this turn into excuses for people to engage in gender bashing.
Gender bashing?

I said women can be impressionable to what they see on tv about relationships..Then you said allot of fat Men think they can get hot women because of tv..

I was as "gender bashing" as you were..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM
 
8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Reputation: 7712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Gender bashing?

I said women can be impressionable to what they see on tv about relationships..Then you said allot of fat Men think they can get hot women because of tv..

I was as "gender bashing" as you were..
It's not gender bashing to point out that many men think they can get hot women because they see it happening on TV. But to respond to that claim by saying "I don't know men who do that, but I see women who do" makes it sound like gender bashing. Why add the second part about women? Why not just say "I don't know men who act that way" and just leave it that? Why did you have to slip in that jab against women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
 
5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Reputation: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's not gender bashing to point out that many men think they can get hot women because they see it happening on TV. But to respond to that claim by saying "I don't know men who do that, but I see women who do" makes it sound like gender bashing. Why add the second part about women? Why not just say "I don't know men who act that way" and just leave it that? Why did you have to slip in that jab against women?
Slip in the jab? dude youre reaching..There is no difference in saying women are impressionable and Men are impresionable which is what we said..

Maybe you think being the guy whos always on the womens side in arguments will help you get laid or something i dunno but stop trying to paint what i said worse then it was..

Maybe youre just an overly sensitive dude but stop trying to fight womens battles that arent there.. there fine on there own they dont need you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM
 
8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Reputation: 7712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Slip in the jab? dude youre reaching..There is no difference in saying women are impressionable and Men are impresionable which is what we said..
I'm not reaching. All you had to do was say "I don't know any men who act this way" and leave it that. The fact that you felt the need to say that women do it speaks volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Maybe you think being the guy whos always on the womens side in arguments will help you get laid or something i dunno but stop trying to paint what i said worse then it was..

Maybe youre just an overly sensitive dude but stop trying to fight womens battles that arent there.. there fine on there own they dont need you..
LOL. This statement just proves my point. You see issues in terms of men vs. women so the moment someone dares to agree with women, you characterize him as "taking women's side in order to get laid." I don't take sides because I don't see issues as being about men vs. women. Whether my views put me in agreement with women makes no difference to me. But it sure sounds like you're worried about what side you land on. So many of your posts have this anti-women vibe and this is no different. It's no wonder you and betamanlet sound so much alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
 
5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Reputation: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm not reaching. All you had to do was say "I don't know any men who act this way" and leave it that. The fact that you felt the need to say that women do it speaks volumes.



LOL. This statement just proves my point. You see issues in terms of men vs. women so the moment someone dares to agree with women, you characterize him as "taking women's side in order to get laid." I don't take sides because I don't see issues as being about men vs. women. Whether my views put me in agreement with women makes no difference to me. But it sure sounds like you're worried about what side you land on. So many of your posts have this anti-women vibe and this is no different. It's no wonder you and betamanlet sound so much alike.
Holy **** youre one annoying dellusional person..

Stick to your script and pretend its everyone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
 
8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Reputation: 7712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Holy **** youre one annoying dellusional person..

Stick to your script and pretend its everyone else
In other words, you can't stand it that someone doesn't agree with your misogynist views. And if you wanna talk scripts, perhaps you and betamanlet should stop sharing one. I've lost count of how many times you've both talked about women who prefer bad boys to nice guys, how they find nice guys boring, etc. It's all just excuse-making. Those who don't succeed with women bash women in order to feel better about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM
 
5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Reputation: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
In other words, you can't stand it that someone doesn't agree with your misogynist views. And if you wanna talk scripts, perhaps you and betamanlet should stop sharing one. I've lost count of how many times you've both talked about women who prefer bad boys to nice guys, how they find nice guys boring, etc. It's all just excuse-making. Those who don't succeed with women bash women in order to feel better about themselves.
Ive never complained that women like bad boys you dope in fact i said most dont..

lol at me being a misognynist..You're clueless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top