Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Sounds a bit like a high school exam question, lol. Discuss...

I'm of the opinion they generally reinforce stereotypes, but there are definitely exceptions, although there's a general tone of mocking and patronising that's maybe a by-product of humour that I think can make it harder for people to free themselves from the superficialities that breed insecurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times
I think anybody who is influenced by a TV show needs to see a psychiatrist. Seriously! People these days are so incredibly empty and lacking so much in the personality department that they are easily influenced by just about any GARBAGE that the media puts out. If a tv shows dictates how you live your life, it is time to seek professional help!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Yes. Have you seen that relationships are always about people arguing and fighting over petty subject matter on television? I've seen a lot of that in real life. It is so pitiful that people have sunken to such a low and pitiful level. Also everyone is very pretentious. It's all about what's on the surface. Nobody cares about what is on the inside.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes. Have you seen that relationships are always about people arguing and fighting over petty subject matter on television? I've seen a lot of that in real life. It is so pitiful that people have sunken to such a low and pitiful level. Also everyone is very pretentious. It's all about what's on the surface. Nobody cares about what is on the inside.
Exactly...I can't stand like Sex and the City.etc. Actually believe it or not Samantha is probably the one I respect the most .

And I'm sick how they're all so formulaic: the men are always sex-crazed, sports-obsessed couch potatoes, the women always neurotic, insecure naggers. Shows like the Big Bang Theory are probably a step in the right direction, but they are also really stereotypical in their depiction of nerds etc and are pretty much the same deal.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
One of the funniest shows on TV is Two and a Half Men. Whether you like him or not, Charlie represents a lot of guys. Pretty accurate about clueless guys bedding a whole multitude of women.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
One of the funniest shows on TV is Two and a Half Men. Whether you like him or not, Charlie represents a lot of guys. Pretty accurate about clueless guys bedding a whole multitude of women.
But probably not going to improve women's (especially say teenage girls who get alot of their ideas from TV) regard for mankind in general, is it? You may say most women are intelligent enough to know it's not real life, but even the smartest person isn't always aware how subtle subliminal messages creep into our thinking, creep up on us without us even realising it.

His brother is bad in the opposite extreme. Needy, neurotic and petty - I often think he plays the 'woman's' role in the relationship. Also notice how he always complains about how Charlie is such a womanizer yet also envies him.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Hook-ups and booty calls are the norm too. Ugh. What is with people these days? They are like animals. And when you do get a guy in bed. He is just staring off into space totally spacing out like a mental invalid. His entire body is rigid and robotic. His movements harsh and abrasive. Allegorically speaking "the lights are on but nobody is home" as the saying goes. Ugh. So many terrible people these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Exactly...I can't stand like Sex and the City.etc. Actually believe it or not Samantha is probably the one I respect the most .

And I'm sick how they're all so formulaic: the men are always sex-crazed, sports-obsessed couch potatoes, the women always neurotic, insecure naggers. Shows like the Big Bang Theory are probably a step in the right direction, but they are also really stereotypical in their depiction of nerds etc and are pretty much the same deal.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM

That is so true. That is why I hate that show. I cannot stand to watch it. I'd rather watch The Simpsons which playfully makes fun of American families and American society. It's a clever show. However, shows like Two and a Half Men champion clueless bozos who use people. It makes it seem like it is good to be the norm (i.e., being a clueless POS for your entire life). And unfortunately, it is the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Totally agree with you artsy. Manipulation, lying, using etc is the norm in Hollywoodland. Also, sounds like you're getting all your dates from Zombies'R'Us, ROFL.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Ha ha. They are the reason I stopped dating. Everything goes downhill at the speed of an orgasm once you get those "hard to get" good looking idiots in bed. It's a total waste of time to even consider anything romantic in today's age. Don't even bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Totally agree with you artsy. Manipulation, lying, using etc is the norm in Hollywoodland. Also, sounds like you're getting all your dates from Zombies'R'Us, ROFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships