Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times

Advertisements

Why did my post get deleted? What was argumentative about it?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM

744 posts, read 1,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Who's asked you to conform? The only thing we've done is tell you about some of the things that are likely to happen to you once you turn 30 (getting gray hair, losing your hair, wrinkles, a slower metabolism, etc.). Is making you aware of those things the same as asking you to conform? No, but you keep acting like it is, which just tells me that you've got some serious hangups about age. This thread is about people who'd rather live in denial than accept the truth about themselves. When I turned 30, I knew things would probably change. I knew a lot of that I had control over, but I also accepted that a lot of it I didn't and that I shouldn't pretend like like I was still 25.
And I've shown you that physical strength is at its peak until 35-40. People can lose their hair and get some gray hairs in their 20s for crying out loud. Taylor Hicks is one example. I have known balding 20-somethings, and even had a 19 year old friend once that was finding a few gray hairs and had crows feet. If I chose to dye my hair or take things to prevent hair loss, what business of it is your's??

Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
And I've shown you that physical strength is at its peak until 35-40. People can lose their hair and get some gray hairs in their 20s for crying out loud. Taylor Hicks is one example. I have known balding 20-somethings, and even had a 19 year old friend once that was finding a few gray hairs and had crows feet. If I chose to dye my hair or take things to prevent hair loss, what business of it is your's??
Good grief. You really do have some serious hangups over aging. First of all, where do I ever say it's any of my business whether you color your gray hair or do stuff to prevent hair loss? I really don't care what you do. I just think it's sad to live in denial of what you are and get upset with people for daring to tell you what to expect. So what if 20somethings have gray or thinning hair too? That's not relevant. What is relevant is that people over 30 are more likely to exhibit these traits. You keep equating that with being old. Once again, let me say this AS LOUD AS I CAN. Having some gray hair, losing your hair, even getting wrinkles DOESN'T MAKE YOU OLD!!! So quit acting like it does.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Good grief. You really do have some serious hangups over aging. First of all, where do I ever say it's any of my business whether you color your gray hair or do stuff to prevent hair loss? I really don't care what you do. I just think it's sad to live in denial of what you are and get upset with people for daring to tell you what to expect. So what if 20somethings have gray or thinning hair too? That's not relevant. What is relevant is that people over 30 are more likely to exhibit these traits. You keep equating that with being old. Once again, let me say this AS LOUD AS I CAN. Having some gray hair, losing your hair, even getting wrinkles DOESN'T MAKE YOU OLD!!! So quit acting like it does.
It DOES make you old. Who are you to tell me what I am?? You are asking me to conform to what you do. Age is just a number invented by man and for some reason guys like you have said what it should look like at various stages and look down on people who hide wrinkles and stuff that can appear at any age over 16. If you don't mind them that is your business.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It DOES make you old. Who are you to tell me what I am?? You are asking me to conform to what you do. Age is just a number invented by man and for some reason guys like you have said what it should look like at various stages and look down on people who hide wrinkles and stuff that can appear at any age over 16. If you don't mind them that is your business.
No it doesn't make you old. I don't look at people with a little gray or a few wrinkles as old. Maybe you do. If so, that speaks volumes about you and your issues with aging. And show me where I tell you what to be! Show me where I tell you to conform! You keep making this tired accusation over and over and over and have yet to cite a single post where anyone has done that. No one has said what you SHOULD look like at a given age. We've simply told you what's likely. For godsake, that's NOT the same as telling you to conform! Seriously, is English even your first language?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
No it doesn't make you old. I don't look at people with a little gray or a few wrinkles as old. Maybe you do. If so, that speaks volumes about you and your issues with aging. And show me where I tell you what to be! Show me where I tell you to conform! You keep making this tired accusation over and over and over and have yet to cite a single post where anyone has done that. No one has said what you SHOULD look like at a given age. We've simply told you what's likely. For godsake, that's NOT the same as telling you to conform! Seriously, is English even your first language?

I know this could happen. That is why I am taking steps to prevent it now. I have been since I was 21 since I was one of those rare few that knew I wasn't going to be that age forever.

Also, one thing I have shown you is that physical strength remains at its peak to at least 35-40 and then starts dropping off. That means I don't have to worry about that for awhile unless I get some disease or something that can zap energy at any age. I also take care of my health in hopes I won't get a disease like cancer or something.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
I know this could happen. That is why I am taking steps to prevent it now. I have been since I was 21 since I was one of those rare few that knew I wasn't going to be that age forever.

Also, one thing I have shown you is that physical strength remains at its peak to at least 35-40 and then starts dropping off. That means I don't have to worry about that for awhile unless I get some disease or something that can zap energy at any age. I also take care of my health in hopes I won't get a disease like cancer or something.
Professional athletics proves this to be false.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:

So what if strength peaks at 35-40? That doesn't disprove everything else we've been telling you. You offer it up like it does. But all it proves is that, during your 30s, you age in some ways, but not in others. And while it's good that you take care of yourself, understand that none of it comes with a guarantee. You can eat healthy exercise, no smoke, not drink, avoid the sun and get plenty of rest and you may still get cancer. We're not saying this stuff to scare you or suggest that nothing you do can prevent this stuff. We're simply trying to make you aware of what can potentially happen. Take the issue of hair loss. Stress is a big reason why people lose their hair and people in their 30s tend to be under more stress than people in their 20s. They may have kids, a demanding career, or a sick parent they're caring for. All of these things can be stressful. So to say that being 30 is no different than being 20 is deceiving oneself.

If my doctor tells me that, at my age, I'm more likely to injure myself if I were to run a marathon compared to when I was 20, he's not telling me I'm guaranteed to injure myself. Nor is he calling me old. He's just telling about the realities of being my age and that, as a consequence of being older, my legs may not be as strong as they used to be and my body may not be able to deal with physical stress the way it did when I was in my 20s. Just don't interpret that to mean being 30 is old. I don't consider it old. I just don't kid myself into thinking it's the same as being 20.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Wow, no I would never tell someone they are in denial of who they really are. I would assume that they are happy with themselves, which is the most important thing anyway. If a woman enjoys wearing clothes that are too tight or too young looking(in someone's elses mind), who am I to tell her so? My friends don't need me to tell them who and what they are; they alrady know. Also, if someone has a physical flaw, do you honestly think they don't know? Of course they do. They can see it when they look in the mirror. I think someone who lives their live fully without worrying about appearances every minute is great. Everyone needs to live and let live in my opinion. If someone applies for a job in the wrong attire, big deal, they won't get the job. No one died and appointed anyone of us judge and jury.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Professional athletics proves this to be false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_adult_(psychology)

"Young adults are generally in good health, subject neither to disease nor the problems of senescence. Biological function and physical performance reach their peak from 20-35 years of age, waning after 35. Strength peaks around 25 years of age, plateaus through 35 or 40 years of age, and then declines. Flexibility also decreases with age throughout adulthood. However, there are large individual differences and a fit 40-year-old may outcompete a sedentary 20-year-old."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships