Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,097,497 times

Advertisements

GeorgeLucasLongLostChin-

Why wouldn't I care more for my dogs than a human on death row such as Charles Manson? Or Mark Chapman that killed John Lennon? And I would rather save a rare sperm whale or narwhale than a terrorist. There are nearly 7 billion human beings on this planet, but only several thousand of certain species of whales. Human beings aren't rare or all that special as life forms.

And I agree with Braunwyn, I value the lives of my pets over someone such as yourself. If it was you and my dogs in a burning building, I would go in to save them first over you.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM

19,501 posts, read 12,130,684 times
Here is one example. A doggie shrine?

Family Mourns Tiger -- Shrine Erected | TMZ.com

Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,487,677 times
While pets are indeed part of the family, they still are not people.

It makes my skin crawl when people refer to their pets as "my kids", as in I have to go home now to "my kids", meaning their dogs.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,154,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I'm sorry you don't know what a pleonasm is.
You should be sorry that you're using the word without understanding how to employ it. That, and not understanding the term she.

Quote:
A human children would be a pleaonasm.
A-human-children is just bad grammar. Pleaonasm [sic] is poor spelling.

Quote:
Because I don't know any child that isn't human but I guess you're one of those people who say "baby dog" or "cat's children".
Will you please link a post of mine that notes baby dog or cat's children. I'm not sure what a cat's-children is supposed to be. OTOH, you will be able to find more than one post where I use the word dolt.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I made another mistake that I didn't see...english is my 2nd language.
Quit while you're behind.

Quote:
And I'm glad you only care about things that bring you joy. Sounds totally balanced.
Yea, and that's why you spend your internet connection money on feeding the hungry. Oh! no you don't . You spend your internet connection money to put your hypocrisy on full display. And for some god-awful reason you feel that has more value than a person's pet.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,523,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
GeorgeLucasLongLostChin-And I agree with Braunwyn, I value the lives of my pets over someone such as yourself. If it was you and my dogs in a burning building, I would go in to save them first over you.
You too are very rational and balanced.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,394,892 times
Quote:
I try to avoid people with pets, even moreso people who love their pets a little too much. Pets are for children. Grown adults who still go nuts over an animal often had a very sheltered life.

Maybe action figures are for kids but not pets lighten up a little. Sure, there is an extreme, but that's rare. I think pets are great companions for senior citizens too. I'm a 30 year old man and love my cat. It wouldn't do you any harm to own one.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,523,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Maybe action figures are for kids but not pets lighten up a little. Sure, there is an extreme, but that's rare. I think pets are great companions for senior citizens too. I'm a 30 year old man and love my cat. It wouldn't do you any harm to own one.
I had pets when I was a kid. But I lived in a rural area. I live in the city now and I don't think it's a good place to have pets, cat or dog I mean.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,924,247 times
Quote:
Believe me or not (you won't), I do spend a sizable amount of my income on charity. Then again, I'm not some poor lonely person who lives alone talking with animals.

But I think you misunderstood. It's not helping your fellow man. The point is that you're confused about your animal's worth.

Like I said initially, I try to stay away from crazy pet-lovers. I will do just that.

So in your mind, someone who loves animals is a lonely person who lives alone? The majority of households in this country contain one or more pets. Single people, married people, families with a dozen children--more often than not, there is also an animal. They are not substitutes for human affection; animals are an additional, increased joy in the lives of those who own them.

My dog is worth a heck of a lot to me. She makes me HAPPY. Heck, she makes a lot of people happy. We visit nursing homes on the weekend, children read to her at the library to practice their reading skills, and the girl I mentor is helping to train her to gain confidence in herself. That's an awful lot of accomplishments for a critter.

I'm sorry you don't understand how wonderful an animal can be. That's your loss. There's absolutely no reason to berate or avoid people who do find joy in their pets, though.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,924,247 times
Quote:
I had pets when I was a kid. But I lived in a rural area. I live in the city now and I don't think it's a good place to have pets, cat or dog I mean.
Cats shouldn't be outside animals anyway. They don't know the difference between city life and country life.

Cities are actually becoming really dog friendly, too. My city has numerous fenced off dog parks, dog friendly happy hours, and dog friendly activities (there's a river cruise in town specifically for people and their dogs, and it's a blast!)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,544,177 times
I would just like to point out that it's possible to care about animals AND humans at the same time. The bonds that people have with their pets can be very strong and very beneficial for both the human and the animal.

Most of my volunteer work over the years has been (and continues to be) with animals. However, people benefit from this as well. I once briefly fostered a beagle who had nowhere else to go, and a not so fun case of separation anxiety. He was adopted by a family that had a young boy. When the family adopted him, the boy told us that Buddy was going to be his friend and that he didn't have any friends because other kids make fun of him. It almost made me cry when I heard that. There's something special about a boy and his dog.

I also donate money to human causes when I can. I support cancer research, the lung association, JDRF and other causes. I sent money for Haiti. I buy wrapping paper and other crap from my friends' kids to support their schools. Those of you who don't like animals may think I have a mental illness because I let them sleep in my bed, but I assure you there is nothing wrong with my human relationships. I care about animals AND people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships