U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 187,572 times

Advertisements

Let's say a woman of a particular racial & religious heritage will only date men from that same race & religion, because she feels she wants her partner to come from a similar cultural background. She does not consider herself prejudiced - she argues that she has nothing against difference and diversity and doesn't think anybody is better than anyone else, but in her own life, she simply prefers to be with someone who is more like herself.

Is there a difference between a preference and a prejudice? I say yes, and thought it was a no-brainer, but have been surprised to find that a lot of people disagree. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively

Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM

191 posts, read 652,719 times
I think as long as the woman is being objective about such a decision, there is a difference.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,783,880 times
No, there is no difference.

It's also BS to say that one is "limiting" themselves in having exclusive dating. Is only eating Haagen-Dasz ice cream, since it's one's favourite, "limiting oneself"? It's a weird analogy, but nobody would say it is so. It's normal to stick with things that one enjoys or gives them satisfaction/pleasure.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,699,770 times
# preference: the act, fact, or principle of giving advantages to some over others

# prejudice:
an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledgeIf somebody will only date from the same race/religion for the sake of having similar culture and values, that is a preference. However, it could be rooted in prejudice if she mistakenly believes (i.e. without first investigating) that people of other races/religions are automatically going to have different value systems and won't be able to adapt to her culture. She might make the mistake of thinking that her culture is exclusive, when in reality it is absolutely not. I think lots of people make this mistake.

A lot of people are just not attracted to people of other races. Whether this has roots in subconscious prejudice, I don't know for sure, but I would suspect as much. Can't do much about this though. It's not a crime, and doesn't affect others adversely.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 AM

61,306 posts, read 79,536,424 times
the EEOC cops needs to butt out of the dating biz.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:22 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,434,501 times
Preference can lead to prejudice in selecting dating material, and it almost necessarily has to if you're serious about finding a workable, long-term relationship. We don't have all the time in the world to explore the entire available dating pool so we need some criteria to narrow down the list of potential candidates. And it's possible that using those criteria will eliminate some folks who might have made a surprisingly good match. But that's the price one pays to avoid wasting time dating a whole mess of people who were destined from the beginning to be lousy matches.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM

19,011 posts, read 26,946,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
# preference: the act, fact, or principle of giving advantages to some over others

# prejudice:
an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledgeIf somebody will only date from the same race/religion for the sake of having similar culture and values, that is a preference. However, it could be rooted in prejudice if she mistakenly believes (i.e. without first investigating) that people of other races/religions are automatically going to have different value systems and won't be able to adapt to her culture. She might make the mistake of thinking that her culture is exclusive, when in reality it is absolutely not. I think lots of people make this mistake.

A lot of people are just not attracted to people of other races. Whether this has roots in subconscious prejudice, I don't know for sure, but I would suspect as much. Can't do much about this though. It's not a crime, and doesn't affect others adversely.
I almost loaded my cylinders to fire, then noticed the vital y LMAO

Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 AM

5,636 posts, read 9,108,989 times
I think of it this way:

A preference is something you like, for whatever reasons.

A prejudice is something you dislike, for irrational reasons.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 PM
miu

17,616 posts, read 36,564,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I think of it this way:

A preference is something you like, for whatever reasons.

A prejudice is something you dislike, for irrational reasons.
So... it's alright to have preferences for likes, but not preferences for dislikes?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM

4,941 posts, read 7,662,670 times
IMO,

Preference = selective, open-minded
Prejudice = hatred/discontent, close-minded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships