Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I started out wanting just the base model coupe, and somehow, I ended up with a Grand Sport LT3 in Crystal Red Metallic. It is a great car. You are right. Nothing in it's price range even comes close, and it is made right here in America, and it lasts many more miles than it's Italian counterparts seem to last.
Love the ZO6 and the ZR1, but I had to have a convertible.

Congrats on your new ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I would not advise going into debt for a Corvette or any car. I have a Porsche and it is paid off. It is older as well but still fun to have around. Here is the deal, I wouldn't advise anyone that is looking to buy a home within the next 5 years to buy a car that they can't pay cash for. That takes other opportunities away from you.

As far as owning a Corvette, Porshe, or some other car, I say to save up for it and pay cash. I would bet that in 5 years they will still be making Corvettes or at least you could buy a used one. I am a gar guy and would love to have a large collection of cars to choose from. At the same time I don't want to have a car payment especially on a car that cost $70,000 or more. My goal is to have a Ferrari. I plan on buying a used one and paying cash for it. Nothing wrong with a dream and attaining that dream. Saving the cash also helps to keep my wife from not wanting to go thru with it. Her thing is to make sure we keep the debt off our back.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
An '88 Ferrari Mondial was advertised recently in Cincinnati for $30,000. A lot of working class guys with a decent retirement can afford that. Besides, you'd pay about the same for a yuppie Acura and get half the sex appeal. Drive a Japanese car, who cares? Drive a Ferrari, everybody notices.
You do know what it costs to maintain a Ferrari don't you? You will see many for sale at or near the 30,000 mile range, 60,000 mile range. On a Ferrari the engine needs to have a major overhaul at that point. An oil change can set you back $300. A tune up can set you back $1,200. One thing is for sure that you will see a lot of low mileage older cars. I for one love them and have had the chance to ride in a few of them. That is an experience that every car guy and girl needs at least once in a life time.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
30K service on most F-cars *is* engine out but you don't end up going *into* the engine. On a Testarossa the engine and transaxle come out of the car very similar to an air-cooled VW bug. You pull the engine to change the cam drive belts.

It's harder than doing the cam drive belt on a VW, but it's not really a "major overhaul"

That said one of the beauties of a 'vette is that maintenance is very similar to a same-year Chevy pickup. Change oil, change filters, change spark plugs, outside of that just drive it. Looking at a comparison of 'vette vs. Ferarri (I forget the exact model) I was really impressed that the 'vette was about 99% as good as the Ferarri for less than half the price.

Some F-car and even BMW dealers charge an arm and a leg for an oil change, certainly for BMW cars outside of resetting the oil monitor ($39 tool, BFD) an oil change is done the same way you would do it on any other small sedan.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You do know what it costs to maintain a Ferrari don't you? You will see many for sale at or near the 30,000 mile range, 60,000 mile range. On a Ferrari the engine needs to have a major overhaul at that point. An oil change can set you back $300. A tune up can set you back $1,200. One thing is for sure that you will see a lot of low mileage older cars. I for one love them and have had the chance to ride in a few of them. That is an experience that every car guy and girl needs at least once in a life time.
You see low mileage cars because they're damn garage queens. You're not supposed to put a ton of miles on 'em or they'll devalue faster than you can say boo.

I prefer a car that has all (or near all) the performance but can be used as a daily driver.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Can't get much more alpha male than a Corvette despite the midlife crisis cliche from the jealous dudes.

Remember, the Vette gets em' wet.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Can't get much more alpha male than a Corvette despite the midlife crisis cliche from the jealous dudes.

Remember, the Vette gets em' wet.
I love 'em. My biggest complaint is how common they are. I just like to have something a little different. But, hey...it'll do until some new cars come out over the next two or three years.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
I've never really cared much for Corvettes, or sporty-stuff in general.

Call me a dork, but deep down I always wanted one of those Low-Rider cars you see out in California. Either that or a Pontiac GTO. American muscle for me please.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
30K service on most F-cars *is* engine out but you don't end up going *into* the engine. On a Testarossa the engine and transaxle come out of the car very similar to an air-cooled VW bug. You pull the engine to change the cam drive belts.

It's harder than doing the cam drive belt on a VW, but it's not really a "major overhaul"

That said one of the beauties of a 'vette is that maintenance is very similar to a same-year Chevy pickup. Change oil, change filters, change spark plugs, outside of that just drive it. Looking at a comparison of 'vette vs. Ferarri (I forget the exact model) I was really impressed that the 'vette was about 99% as good as the Ferarri for less than half the price.

Some F-car and even BMW dealers charge an arm and a leg for an oil change, certainly for BMW cars outside of resetting the oil monitor ($39 tool, BFD) an oil change is done the same way you would do it on any other small sedan.
Thank's for the correction. Three of my friends all tell me what a hastle it is to do what in their minds is a major overhaul. At the same time I have never had it explained to me what that consists of. Two of my friends are Doctors and the other is a former Hospital administrator. Working on cars isn't something that any of them do. For them having the engine out is considered a major overhaul. LOL. I have put off getting one because I don't want what I think is a hastle. As you stated the Corvette is much easier to work on then the Ferrari is anyway. My old 911 is also very easy to work on. Then again that is a car that I rebuilt on my own.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Ok, this should be a fun thread, LMAO

I was having this discussion with the missus about getting rid of my toyota and buying a new car. I told her I wanted something fancy like a corvette.

Question 1: Are you serious?
Answer 1: Yes

Question 2: You don't have any debt now. You want to have debt and a car payment for several years???????
Answer 2: Well, I think I can handle it, it will be good credit history if we are to buy a house

Question 3: More importantly, do you wanna be perceived as a mid-life crisis 30-something guy, with a small penis and uses just the corvette to attract women????
Answer 3:

Then she went on to say, "Okay, good boy, your toyota is good enough. Just don't waste your money"

So, a question to the forum women, is this your perception of those kemosabes who drive around in noisy corvettes? They're all beta manlets??

Thoughts?

Finally, I told her I'll look to buy an electric car later in life from Toyota or Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships