Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Being fat is not just about appearance. I really wish people would STOP locking onto that one point. Its an expensive problem that is going to kill you sooner than if you were healthy. And if your other half is skinny but you both eat the same, its likely they make be skinny and unhealthy because of food types.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I remember your earlier thread asking people whether they have told people close to them about their mistakes and misconceptions (dating out of their league, trying for jobs they are not qualified for, etc.). When pressed, you admitted you had not had one of those conversations with someone close to you. This is the same kind of conversation. Just as I shared that I couldn't think of how to tactfully, kindly tell our roommate that his dating chances were very slim (practically none) with the hotties he was pursuing, it's not an easy task to tell a spouse, "Slim down or I may have to divorce you or at least seek sex elsewhere."
It may not be easy, but is sometimes necessary.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It may not be easy, but is sometimes necessary.
Have you ever had that conversation?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Again, study after study shows that the people who are successful in losing weight are those who do it for themselves--NOT other people.

As far as spouses being responsible for keeping each other healthy, no. Adults are responsible for themselves. What you describe sounds more like a parent. If anyone else--spouse, friend, relative, whoever--decided it was their place to be responsible for my health and I'm not already senile and legally incompetent, that person would be cordially invited to butt out. That attitude is just much too disrespectful of me and too much of a violation of my autonomy as an adult capable of making her own decisions. Forget it.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on not being responsible for each other. Its what you are a team for. To make up for each others weakness points.

Some people handle the money better or the cleaning or the diet. Its all about creating the balance TOGETHER to give yourselves a positive healthy future.

People that have addictions and problems are usually in denial of them or oblivious of the repercussions. For some people its food.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
That's a rhetorical question, right?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
I had to confront a girlfriend about her spending habits and how they were getting out of control. I knew she would be offended by my saying that she was being reckless. But I told her anyway and, just as I predicted, she got offended. We broke up. A few months later, I found out that she had to sell her car and move back in with her parents because she was broke.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
I had to confront a girlfriend about her spending habits and how they were getting out of control. I knew she would be offended by my saying that she was being reckless. But I told her anyway and, just as I predicted, she got offended. We broke up. A few months later, I found out that she had to sell her car and move back in with her parents because she was broke.

So no?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:33 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
How is describing the consequences of one's behavior the sign of a callous heart? If you tell someone they're smoking will turn off others and cause them to be alone, does that mean you have a callous heart? No. You're just informing them what will result from their behavior.
Actually, if that's how you tell them, yes, it is callous.

Quote:
Actually you didn't. I asked you whether a spouse is supposed to keep quiet if their partner knows what they need to do, but can't motivate themselves or can't ask for help. You dodged that. Instead you just told me to get with reality and said that people can't talk about everything with their partners. But that's still not an answer.
And I've said over and over again that overweight people do not need to be told they are overweight. I've also given room for saying it once, and then backing off. I said overweight people already know what they need to do. I've said they are the ones who are responsible for their own health and to ask for help. And I've said over and over and over and OVER again that no one can take control of their health and eating but them. You cannot do it for them. Anything more than one mention of it is wasted breath.

So yep, you should keep your mouth shut.

Just because you don't agree with my answers doesn't mean I haven't provided any, so unless you have something new to ask, I'm done responding to you here.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Actually, a GF's spending habits are none of your business whatsoever as they don't affect you in any way.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I see it as the same problem as that too. Verbal stinging honesty is a lot more gentle than a heart attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships