Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,261,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I say something hurtful to the next door neighbor- who is usually very friendly- without meaning to be mean. He does not tell me he is upset, but he sure is. Two days later I see him in the yard and call out his name. He looks away and does not respond. He is angry at me for what I said but does not say so. A week later I see him again. I call out his name and make a comment. He again give me the cold shoulder because he is angry at the innocent comment that angered him the week before. I see him a third time and say hello again and he still gives me the cold shoulder. I approach him and ask if he is mad at me for something. He says. "no" but his body language and tone says differently. That is passive aggressive behavior. Why can't he be honest with me about his disapproval of what he said and discuss it like adults?
Is this real or hypothetical?

If it's real, you know dang well that what you said was clueless and offensive, so just man up and say, "Hey, I was thinking the other day that what I said about XYZ came out wrong. I hope it didn't offend you, but if it did, that wasn't my intention and I apologize."

If someone seemingly out of nowhere gives you the cold shoulder and you ask him if something is wrong and he says no, that is his problem. Continuing to push the issue is rude, and he's only going to dislike you more, so just leave him alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,464,794 times
Quote:
The story is true, and why should I apolize to him. I said nothing wrong and he is the one who is being rude to me. He was over sensitive. But for reason he did feel I said something wrong and avoided me for a long time because he preferred a passive aggressive approach.
In your opinion you said nothing wrong, but nonetheless he was offended. Knowing this, and doing nothing to clear up the misunderstanding makes you insensitive in contrast to his (in your opinion) over sensitivity.

You're both wrong, IMO, and both too proud to fix it.

Even if you really did nothing wrong and he took it wrong, then what harm is done (versus what good) by apologizing?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,634,267 times
Quote:
I say something hurtful to the next door neighbor- who is usually very friendly- without meaning to be mean. He does not tell me he is upset, but he sure is. Two days later I see him in the yard and call out his name. He looks away and does not respond. He is angry at me for what I said but does not say so. A week later I see him again. I call out his name and make a comment. He again give me the cold shoulder because he is angry at the innocent comment that angered him the week before. I see him a third time and say hello again and he still gives me the cold shoulder. I approach him and ask if he is mad at me for something. He says. "no" but his body language and tone says differently. That is passive aggressive behavior. Why can't he be honest with me about his disapproval of what he said and discuss it like adults?
Try looking at it from his point of view. If your neighbor offended you, you could go up and tell him. But what if that just makes things worse? You're neighbors. It's not like you'll never run into each other again. Maybe this guy is just hoping you'll get the hint and either apologize or leave him alone.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,349 times
Well you had to have known you said something hurtful (as you write it in your first sentence). I would just apologize and explain that you didn't mean to hurt his feelings-I don't understand why people can't communicate- trust me, if I **** someone off tell me! I can't stand passive aggressive-because I respect people enough to comunicate with them.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,633,972 times
Look, if you've wronged me, you'd be lucky to not have me knock your head off your shoulders. I don't think you should press it.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Look, if you've wronged me, you'd be lucky to not have me knock your head off your shoulders. I don't think you should press it.
Really? What are you 10? I would say something to the neighbor-is he being overly sensitive-yes BUT you have to live next to him-it doesn't have to be long just say "hey if I said something to offend you, it wasn't my intention." After that...who cares?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm saying I don't give people a chance to apologize. If you wrong me, I generally take immediate action, and will respond to the wrong.

I don't accept apologies, because I don't feel they are sincere. So a person's best bet is not to push at me.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,634,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm saying I don't give people a chance to apologize. If you wrong me, I generally take immediate action, and will respond to the wrong.

I don't accept apologies, because I don't feel they are sincere. So a person's best bet is not to push at me.
Even if it wasn't intentional? You still won't give them a chance to apologize?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,396,518 times
I think there is a time when you should be bold and speak out what you think about the person or the situation. There are times when it's best to hold it off until it's time. I think it's difficult, at least IMO, for those who are very opinionated and outspoken to keep things to themselves when they want the other person/people to know how they feel. Is my word going to bring them up or bring them down? I think that's important even when it's an disagreement.

I think it's to remember that some have thin skin. I have thin skin myself so I would understand those who have thin skin as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Even if it wasn't intentional? You still won't give them a chance to apologize?
Why should I? For one thing, I've already responded to it, and for another, the apology is unlikely to be sincere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships