Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When women have to have their own jobs? When women have to have their own places? How does this make sense to you when the workforce is split 50/50? Also, to make these types of statements you should clarify. What are the demographics you have in mind? College grads, HS grads, HS drop outs?
Women today are going at it alone in growning numbers. Previously many dropped out of the workforce to have kids/family, but those days are numbered. As a result, they're going to suffer careers in ways never before seen in our society from women having to become garbage collectors, contruction workers, and so on. Many of the male dominated fields are going to start seeing more women in the workplace as women stop relying on men to support them. It's well documented that women often have more tiem off, which is allowed because often times there is a man in their life making up the difference. That's lifestyle won't be attainable in growing numbers for future generations of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Women today are going at it alone in growning numbers. Previously many dropped out of the workforce to have kids/family, but those days are numbered. As a result, they're going to suffer careers in ways never before seen in our society from women having to become garbage collectors, contruction workers, and so on.
So, you're saying that women are going to have to take less desirable jobs, rather than get jobs? Those on the lower end of the SES have always had to make those sacrifices regardless of gender. That's nothing new. Whether the poor female has to clean homes, with her mate collecting garbage, or vice versa, so what?

Quote:
Many of the male dominated fields are going to start seeing more women in the workplace as women stop relying on men to support them. It's well documented that women often have more tiem off, which is allowed because often times there is a man in their life making up the difference. That's lifestyle won't be attainable in growing numbers for future generations of women.
The only more time off I've seen is for kids. Once men, at large, start taking more responsibility for their children no doubt will there be changes; save maternity leave. That's the ideal as far as I'm concerned. There is little discrepancy found among those without children. I know you like to view caring for your brood as taking care of the female, as if the children are only her responsibility, but more men are waking up to the responsibility of caring for their kids via energy, effort, time, etc.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
The first part requires looking beyond our boarders as most Western women have been groomed to utterly reject traditional gender roles. The second part I partially agree with, but as was mentioned before, as men stop marrying the states are scrambling and making cohabitation just as much of a raw deal as marriage was. Some places are even saying if you date for xyz timeperiod (I think it was 6 months in teh article I read a while back) than the man would be on the hook for some low-grade version of what amounted to palimony. It's slowly getting to the point that the states are making any form of serious relationship a liability.
Didn't think about it that way, hhhmph interesting.

I sometimes wonder if family and divorce courts were less biased towards men, would men attitudes about commitment change?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Didn't think about it that way, hhhmph interesting.

I sometimes wonder if family and divorce courts were less biased towards men, would men attitudes about commitment change?

change the courts, make sex only available within marriage and get women to marry when young and in their prime 18-23 , in other words, make things like they used to be and in a genration or two you'll see change, but this and the next generation is toast

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Um, last I checked the employment rate is higher for women. Next.

You don't find it a funny coincidence that you and your ilk happen to be present when the women you surround yourselves with are crying man-child? Any common denominators? hmmm?

its higher for men hence the "mancession"

Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
None of this really addresses my response to his post. Women are working. Young professional women in many metro areas are outearning young professional men. More wives are outearning their husbands compared to years past. There is no 'situation getting worse" via support. The bag of 60-70k peanuts will not bring the celebratory parade that is desired.

sounds great then they should be independant, live alone, and meet up to get our physcial needs met and call it day, and pay half every single time or better yet .... take us out and pay 100%, fair is fair right?

and finally they should stop citing bogus feminism stats all the time

Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I will preface this by stating I am over 50 years old, never married. I will happily admit I always wanted to be married from early manhood onwards. Never happened due to my lack of socializing skills. As time slips by it becomes much more unlikely. Some will say I am lucky to not have faced a unhappy marriage. I would counter I missed having a lifetime companion and children to carry on my heritage. As old age begins to encroach there is no one to turn to.

Many people tend to blame others for problems within themselves. They claim a hatred towards the other gender based on the fact they did not have good relationships.

So, are there benefits to marriage in our modern society, or is marriage a outmoded institute destined to fade away?
Matt, I don't have any answers just thoughts. I do think there is merit in the institution of marriage. However, I wonder about it for me... I'm well over 25 lets say. God knows u don't have to be married to do what married people do. And I seriously hope to find a man to do.. allot I would like companionship with a special someone- He live at his house and I live at mine and we participate in each others lives as we see fit. I suppose we could live together maybe. Why would marriage need to be a part of it? I don't know if I am right. I could be wrong. It won't be the first time. I am certainly not disrespecting marriage though. I believe in traditional family values and in a perfect world I would like to have a slice of that "pie in the sky." The world is not perfect and now I am just not particularly in the market for that package anymore. All that being said I hope marriage never fades and is always beneficial between a man and a woman.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
sounds great then they should be independant, live alone, and meet up to get our physcial needs met and call it day, and pay half every single time or better yet .... take us out and pay 100%, fair is fair right?

and finally they should stop citing bogus feminism stats all the time
They are who exactly? The women on this forum? The women that associate with you? What are the demographics you have in mind?

And who is this "our" you have in mind for meeting physical needs? I don't know a woman off line or on this forum that would go near one of you with a ten foot pole.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,273 times
[quote=sun queen;15925402] And I seriously hope to find a man to do.. allot quote]

Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
For men, marriage establishes paternity and protects his parental rights legally and socially. Unmarried fathers have a much more difficult time enforcing their rights.

Marriage also provides a man with exclusive sexual access to a woman. If you want a woman all to yourself, marriage is still the best way to ensure it. Those who skirt around marriage do so at their own risk. I'm not saying it can't work out, but it's less likely to.

If you like it, and you want to keep it, you would be wise to put a ring on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships