Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,474,265 times

Advertisements

The biggest benefit of marriage is giving any children born from that marriage an identity and a sense of belonging. Knowing that 2 people cared enough to make them one part of a whole. Contrast that to a child who has to constantly ask themself why daddy doesnt want to be with me and teach me about life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM

838 posts, read 1,875,224 times
There's a lot of sadness and bitterness in this thread ... I've been married 27 years, and I like being married ... I can't imagine not being married ...

Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,203,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You already know the answer to your own question, because you listed the things about marriage you are missing in your own life.
True enough. But it has made for some interesting viewpoints that I can think about. Never ashamed to revise my thought process if facts warrant.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
There's a lot of sadness and bitterness in this thread ... I've been married 27 years, and I like being married ... I can't imagine not being married ...
Absolutely! Thats we call them our "other half!"

Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,654,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elric View Post
Interesting topic. There are no benefits of marriage as other legal contracts can do pretty much what modern marriage is as others stated here. Basically when you get that government certificate, its a contract between you, the spouse, and the government. There are people who co-habituate, there are people who get married under god(church wedding, priest blessing but not marriage certificate as they don't want government into their married lives), and there are people who lives in separate homes like I'm currently seeing a lady who has her own place as I have my own place.

For those who think growing old together, and not dying alone, I can recall the Don't Marry Essay which anybody can find all over cyberspace, that a marriage can end at any time be it 25, 30, 35, ... 55, 60, 65, etc. Also dying alone is not valid as who can see/be available to see a dying family member in the hospital 24/7? My ex-girlfriend was a nurse in a hospital and she saw so many people die alone in their hospital beds. I've known plenty of stories people die alone in their homes.

So you see, I don't see any benefits of marriage as I choose to be a confirmed happy bachelor for life. My aunt is the same way as she never married and never had kids and have her own condo, and free to go anywhere and travel the world. I look her up as inspiration to stay single and free. Also George Clooney, and in history the Rat Pack members of Sinatra, Martin, and the like in the early 60's entertaining fans all over the world serves as a inspiration to me. So for me, I don't see any real benefits of modern marriage.
Good grief

Dean Martin was married 3 TIMES, Sinatra 4 times.

Bully for you, you like being single - glad that's working out for you.

Hope you don't mind wiping your aunts butt when she's too old to do it herself and has no kids to care if she lives or dies/ Though hopefully she was wise enough to save enough money to pay someone to do it for her.

You two may not think there are any benefits to being married, but people like me know there are plenty. The truth is, marriage is work and not all people are cut out for the level of work required. It's okay if you're not - but don't rag on people who do find sublime pleasure in their marital state, it just makes you look petty

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-10-2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM

36,441 posts, read 30,800,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
The biggest benefit of marriage is giving any children born from that marriage an identity and a sense of belonging. Knowing that 2 people cared enough to make them one part of a whole. Contrast that to a child who has to constantly ask themself why daddy doesnt want to be with me and teach me about life.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Good grief

Hope you don't mind wiping your aunts butt when she's too old to do it herself and has no kids to care if she lives or dies/ Though hopefully she was wise enough to say enough money to pay someone to do it for her.

You two may not think there are any benefits to being married, but people like me know there are plenty. The truth is, marriage is work and not all people are cut out for the level of work required. It's okay if you're not - but don't rag on people who do find sublime pleasure in their marital state, it just makes you look petty
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 47,304 times
Quote:
Good grief

Hope you don't mind wiping your aunts butt when she's too old to do it herself and has no kids to care if she lives or dies/ Though hopefully she was wise enough to save enough money to pay someone to do it for her.

But they were single along with the rest of the Rat Pack when they were in the Rat Pack and touring and entertaining fans all over the world and enjoying the single lifestyle.

Btw, my current girlfriend who has her own place feels the same way about there is no real benefits to modern marriage. I like to have my own place, my girlfriend like to have her own place, and so does my aunt. I also know plenty of people in real life also feels this way as marriage rates drops in America. That's all I have to say.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,203,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elric View Post
But they were single along with the rest of the Rat Pack when they were in the Rat Pack and touring and entertaining fans all over the world and enjoying the single lifestyle.

Btw, my current girlfriend who has her own place feels the same way about there is no real benefits to modern marriage. I like to have my own place, my girlfriend like to have her own place, and so does my aunt. I also know plenty of people in real life also feels this way as marriage rates drops in America. That's all I have to say.
Your logic needs a bit of work. You make the assumption that being single will allow you to have non stop enjoyment like the "Rat Pack" did. That Singles are free to do what they want. I would argue that many are no more free than their married counterparts. Circumstances dictate what you can and can not do quite often. If it is raining outside, both the single and the married guy will get wet if they venture forth. The Single person has no special dispensation that allows them to escape bad times. It may allow a broader range of actions but not always.

Frequently I see the concept of Divorce brought up as being the big negative to being married. Think what kind of negative it would be if no Divorce was allowed. At least there is a method of getting out of marriages that are not working. Perhaps the equitable split of worldly goods is not fair to one gender. But many things in life are not fair. Getting audited by the IRS seems to be one of those unfair things. Getting a terminal disease, having a natural gas pipeline under your neighborhood rupture and burn your place down, or being born into the poverty as one of the Bangladesh multitudes.

I think some people expect special treatment.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,683,735 times
The benefits of marriage?...

You always have someone to argue with and blame your problems on.

(At least that is the sense I get from my married, divorced, re-married, re-divorced, etc. acquaintances.)

All the people that I know that have stayed single are quite happy (myself included). If you can be happy alone, what do you need someone else for? And if you can not be happy alone, no one can "make" you happy.

In olden times, men got married because a live-in maid was practically necessary to maintain a house, and women got married for a steady steam of income. Now-a-days, neither is necessary. Men can buy appliances and women can get their own jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships