Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:05 PM

239 posts, read 596,079 times

Advertisements

If a guy prefers a skinny or normal-sized woman nowadays, he's "shallow". Conversely, if that same guy were to prefer "full-figured" women over skinny/normal-sized women, he'd just be "exercising his preference".

Skinny/normal-sized women are often stereotyped as being "anorexic" -- maybe...just maybe this is due to the rampant obesity sweeping the nation: people are so used to seeing overweight women out there, that a normal weight woman is thought to have something wrong with her. Let's not forget the mantra "real women have curves".

Furthermore, fashion models and the fashion industry are often blamed for anorexia. Here's a thought: maybe the cause of the anorexia comes from the individual who CHOOSES to compare themselves to what they see in fashion magazines.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I regularly partake in fitness activities, and my hobby routinely places me around active, fit women who are in stellar shape. Of course, you're going to have your bad apples, but 90% of them have great personalities, and exercise for their health and well being - not because of some obsessive motive to have the perfect body, or a sense of self-absorption.

They're some of the nicest, most grounded people I've ever met, and yet it seems that dating a skinny or normal-sized woman is becoming taboo nowadays.

Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Jealousy! Envy.
Go anywhere in public and have a look at the vast amount of blimps. Skinny and normal sized women are a minority.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
First of all skinny and normal sized are two different categories. Number two, the reason magazines used pencil thin women is because they want people to emulate that look. They are held up as examples of "the beauty standard". Women are told "if you don't look like this, you aren't beautiful"

Everyone has preferences and mosy guys preference runs towards skinny models or women who are not overweight. What makes the preference shallow is only being interested in that person because she meets that specific criteria only. Meanign that if she puts on 30 pounds, you gone.

In other words, you didn't want her, you wanted a look.

Last edited by CESpeed; 04-03-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 04:26 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
First of all skinny and normal sized are two different categories. Number two, the reason magazines used pencil thin women is because they want people to emulate that look. They are held up as examples of "he beauty standard" Women are told "if you don't look like this, you aren't beautiful"

Everyone has preferences and mosy guys preference runs towards skinny models or women who are not overweight. What makes the preference shallow is only being interested in that person because she meets that specific criteria only. Meanign that if she puts on 30 pounds, you gone.

In other words, you didn't want her, you wanted a look.
Hi CESpeed,

Men typically prefer overwhelmingly a BMI between 18-21. They also prefer over 21 rather than under 17 typically. In other words they like a normal weight.

The skinny insult is more allowed. I think possibly because its assumed such a "lucky person" can take it.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
Why do skinny/normal-sized women get such a bad rap in the dating world these days?
They don't. They actually have the advantage because most men appear to be attracted to them more than heavier women. Just look at models, actresses and other celebrities and it becomes obvious that this is the look that the majority of men seem to be attracted to and it's also the look that is promoted by fashion magazines and everything we see in the media. I personally prefer women who are more shapely as opposed a skeleton that is covered with a thin layer of flesh and skin but that's just me.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Well I'm about 30 lbs overweight, but I have no problem with men preferring slender (that sounds better than skinny!) women. I think that's normal. BTW, most people assume that I'm of normal weight or maybe a few lbs overweight, which I find hilarious--women who are of normal weight get stared at b/c it's so unusual these days.

Oh and I don't think that fashion mags use pencil thin women so much b/c they want people to emulate that look so much as b/c clothes just hang better on the bony girls--that and the camera puts some lbs on them.

Creative guy, you have my blessing anyway--if you're into health, it's only natural that you wouldn't be into couch potatoes. Somebody is always going to give you trouble about your choices--why worry about them? It's like people get defensive if you make a different choice. Blah.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Who gets a bad rap for this?

Most guys i know want a women in decent shape but with curves

Not a fat girl claiming shes "thick" or "voluptous" nor a 95 lb women with the physique of a teenage boy..

Old 04-03-2010, 05:49 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
If a guy prefers a skinny or normal-sized woman nowadays, he's "shallow". Conversely, if that same guy were to prefer "full-figured" women over skinny/normal-sized women, he'd just be "exercising his preference".

Skinny/normal-sized women are often stereotyped as being "anorexic" -- maybe...just maybe this is due to the rampant obesity sweeping the nation: people are so used to seeing overweight women out there, that a normal weight woman is thought to have something wrong with her. Let's not forget the mantra "real women have curves".

Furthermore, fashion models and the fashion industry are often blamed for anorexia. Here's a thought: maybe the cause of the anorexia comes from the individual who CHOOSES to compare themselves to what they see in fashion magazines.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I regularly partake in fitness activities, and my hobby routinely places me around active, fit women who are in stellar shape. Of course, you're going to have your bad apples, but 90% of them have great personalities, and exercise for their health and well being - not because of some obsessive motive to have the perfect body, or a sense of self-absorption.

They're some of the nicest, most grounded people I've ever met, and yet it seems that dating a skinny or normal-sized woman is becoming taboo nowadays.

Why is that?
it's because it's un-PC to say fat women are unattractive.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
As far as I'm concerned guys can prefer anything they want. They will only get what they get though and that pisses them off.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'm pretty skinny, but muscular. Of course, I didn't get that way by going to a gym. I simply work for a living, and probably don't eat the way I should, so I don't put on weight unless someone else is doing the cooking at home for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships