Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,701,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Wives aren't bound by blood either (unless you're from West Virginia) yet, you would still consider your wife a loved one if she died, correct?
It's the institution of marriage that makes her a loved one. Nobody goes marrying friends, do they?

I don't love my friends. They're friends. Is that weird Should I spread the love?

Anyway, not to argue, but you guys get the gist. A loved one is a loved one as in "loved" ones. There's a reason the word friend is a word by itself.

All this talk of "more time", "denial" and other "obligations" come only for friends. Coz loved ones take precedence over everything. That is the point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's the institution of marriage that makes her a loved one. Nobody goes marrying friends, do they?

I don't love my friends. They're friends. Is that weird Should I spread the love?

Anyway, not to argue, but you guys get the gist. A loved one is a loved one as in "loved" ones. There's a reason the word friend is a word by itself.

OHMYGOSH, Ant, give it up! Sometimes I think you came to us from Mars or something.

People marry friends if they're very smart. If you don't marry a friend you're just asking for a bad marriage.

I am sorry you lack the ability to love your friends - that is TRULY sad

MOST of us have a lot of love for our best friends and it enriches our lives greatly to love others that way - not like you "have" to with your blood family, but because you want to

Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
OHMYGOSH, Ant, give it up! Sometimes I think you came to us from Mars or something.

People marry friends if they're very smart. If you don't marry a friend you're just asking for a bad marriage.

I am sorry you lack the ability to love your friends - that is TRULY sad

MOST of us have a lot of love for our best friends and it enriches our lives greatly to love others that way - not like you "have" to with your blood family, but because you want to
I added a very vital last line. That is the crux of my thought, or anti-thought if you will.

But I'll quit now

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times
Quote:
I added a very vital last line. That is the crux of my thought, or anti-thought if you will.

But I'll quit now
Don't you have a single friend that you love - just one??

I have friends I love more than some of my family members for pete's sake!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,178,053 times
Ant, I don't agree with you either. When my brother died my best friend was on the first plane out. She help me write his eulogy, stayed up all night with me, held me up through the wake and funeral. She did that. Not my cousins (by blood) or step-siblings (by marriage). She was all over it. And it's reciprocal. We've been sister's for almost 20 years and she is the most constant thing in my life outside my parents. Certainly beyond any other blood relative.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,292,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The night my wife died. She had gone upstairs to take a bath while I was watching TV, as she often did. I heard her moan but thought it was because the cats were getting into trouble. A few minutes later I heard her moan again, this time louder. The dog, both cats (now downstairs with me), and I all went running upstairs. I fully expected to chastise her for scaring me, but she was gone.

She was lying on the bed wearing her "granny" nightgown -- one she only wore when we'd visit my parents, so it was obvious she knew she was dying. A blood vessel had burst in her brain.

All I could think about was the time she told her daughter that she'd finally found the man she wanted holding her hand when she took her last breath.
WOW!!!!

Your story would make even the strongest, toughest of men cry like a baby!

I wish I had reps for you!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,292,859 times
Thumbs down Anal retention

Quote:

All this talk of "more time", "denial" and other "obligations" come only for friends. Coz loved ones take precedence over everything. That is the point
Only an anal retentive person would come on a post where someone is expressing regret and grief at a loss and ANALyze it to death. DO US BOTH A FAVOR & TAKE A HIKE!
P.S. I bet you've been belted (punched) many times in your life...huh!!?? GEE WHIZ!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Only an anal retentive person would come on a post where someone is expressing regret and grief at a loss and ANALyze it to death. DO US BOTH A FAVOR & TAKE A HIKE!
P.S. I bet you've been belted (punched) many times in your life...huh!!?? GEE WHIZ!!!!!!!!
Save me the drama, lady. I only asked a very civil question.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't you have a single friend that you love - just one??

I have friends I love more than some of my family members for pete's sake!
When "love" is involved, I will go to the extent of giving my life even. Putting my everything up front for the sake of love. For my parents, my wife (girlfriend), my brother, my kids.

I can't say I can do that for friends. Isn't love encompassing of everything?

If my best friend is rotting, almost homeless, got foreclosured, I'm not going to pull all my strength and pull him out of the mess, taking and sharing his burden. I'll feel sorry and offer moral support. But I don't think anyone will go to that extent for a "friend". In this world, they don't even do that for loved ones.

The word friend is the most misunderstood word on the planet. And it is not even synonymous with a loved one.

Would you do it loves? Would you put your everything at stake to cover your best friend? This is more of a thought question. It's not like it's an argument point or something

Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,548,479 times
Default Regrets after Loved One passed?

Yes the worst of my life. My younger sister, Maureen had a troubled life, with a drug habit to boot. She also suffered from Bi-Polar and went unmediated until she would admit herself into our local MH facility. While she was hospitalized I visited, wrote her letters, my dad went every nite with a home cooked meal and a pack of cigarettes for her. When she felt the need when a visitor came, she would run to the door and escape!!!!
They knew she would return when the need for meds became overwhelming. How sad. I love her sooooo much

She was my best friend. I had guardianship of her when she was a teen because of her behavior, she always ran away from home to me. My mother couldn't accept her mental illness and was disowned by her and the rest of my family,

Well my ex didn't want her near my first two children because of drug problems and her Bi-Polar issues She was kind, loving and would give you the shirt off her back. I never stopped looking for her on the streets, bringing her out to eat, buying her winter coats, hats, and gloves in the winter, clothes, anything she needed. All material things, when all she needed was me and my dad.

My dad was great with her, but unfortunately my step-mother had different ideas. She liked Maureen, but didn't trust her.

Well she ended up in jail and on the day before she was to be released she called my dad and asked him if she could stay with him because she couldn't bare to go back to her old ways, which we all know she would.
My step-mother said no!!! errrrr. They had two extra bedrooms and the ***** wouldn't let her.

Well because of this my sister was put on a suicide watch, but guess what? They were to check on her every 15 minutes, a guard went to check saw a piece of tissue in her peep hole, opened her door and told her to take it out. WARNING, WARNING ALERTS SHOULD OF GONE OFF!!!
The guard didn't check her for 30 minutes!!!! And there she was hanging from her bunk frame......they revived her and brought her the closest hospital.

I had just walked out my door when my ex called me back in and told me what happened. I collapsed onto the floor, grabbed my chest, I have never felt such pain in my life !!! My heart was truly broken. My dad and step-mother picked me up and we went to the hospital and she was on life support, not to expect to make it thru the nite. I sat with her and held her hand while they tested her for brain function. There was none. I stayed by her side until her death and watched her flat-line!!!! What a horrible experience, I wouldn't wish this trauma on my worst enemy.

To this day I still feel the guilt and shame of not leaving my ex and taking care of my sister myself. Just knowing she would have a place to go to might have saved her life....R.I.P. my beloved sister, Maureen!!!!

I visited her grave every day for two years blaming myself. When I got a new job it just down the street from her grave and I would go there for my lunch hour, how sad. I finally realized I needed grief counseling and it was the best thing I ever did. It's been 25 years now and I still just can't seem to let go.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships